What's a good plane for beginners

I would prefer an RTF, as I know BNFs don't really save money when you're starting out and you want something cheap. Anyways, does anyone have an opinion. I would also prefer at least 4 channels, ad a budge of about 120 dollars. I also need a long flight time, AT LEAST 20 minutes. I was looking at the Bixler 3 and the XK a430 edge, but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper. Any ideas? Additionally, what about the bixler 1?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I would prefer an RTF, as I know BNFs don't really save money when you're starting out and you want something cheap. Anyways, does anyone have an opinion. I would also prefer at least 4 channels, ad a budge of about 120 dollars. I also need a long flight time, AT LEAST 20 minutes. I was looking at the Bixler 3 and the XK a430 edge, but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper. Any ideas? Additionally, what about the bixler 1?
first of all, the edge is not a very good beginner plane by design. the only thing thats keeping it flying nicely and not aerobaticaly is the gyro. I would recommend the eachine or volantexrc mini warbirds. they fly nicely, and for abotu 25 min per charge

first of all, the edge is not a very good beginner plane by design. the only thing thats keeping it flying nicely and not aerobaticaly is the gyro. I would recommend the eachine or volantexrc mini warbirds. they fly nicely, and for abotu 25 min per charge
What is the flight time of the Bixler 3?

Like this? Eachine mini cessna 550mm wingspan epp 2.4g 6-axis gyro stabilizer one key return rc airplane trainer fixed wing rtf with flight controller for beginner Sale - Banggood.com
If so what is the flight time?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
What is the flight time of the Bixler 3?
no Idea.
I meant like this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/VOLANTEXRC/?tag=lstir-20, slightly different design, better working or ideally, the hobbyzone champ. all good planes. In general, Try the ft tutor too, if you can get the budget. amazon has some cheaper motors, and servos that still work, so you could drop your cost to around 140 or so without the rx and tx

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

RTF, 20 minutes flight time, and $120 budget? that is quite request list.

the cheapest TX/RX pair I would suggest comes in at $50-60. an RTF at that price range, likely has a really cheap TX.

The builds I have done have mostly come in at flight times in the 5-10 minutes range, outside of some cruiser designs, specifically designed for endurance.

If your goal is to really get into the hobby, your going to be better of getting a TX/RX that you can move to your next plane. If you find something at the price point your looking at, that TX will only work [99% case anyways] with that craft and you will be replacing all of it if you upgrade.

If your willing to go beyond '4 channel' you could take a look at the EZ 2 channel stuff, which is fairly easy to fly and you can get going at well under your price point.

for example:
<https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-ft-stem-ez-power-pack-2-channel/>
<https://store.flitetest.com/ft-ez3-first-flyers-wr-382mm/>
or
<https://store.flitetest.com/ft-stem-micro-freighter-project-rtf/>

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My first question is, why do you need such a long flight time? Longer flight means a bigger battery which means more weight. In a trainer you don't want that. Remember that you can always just land and change batteries, so flight time isn't really important. Also, you would get bored of flying within 20 minutes unless you have a specific mission to complete. If you do have a specific mission to complete and the plane is for that, then you should probably wait until you have more experience to complete it.
When it comes to RTF vs BNF, a BNF will cost more when you factor in the tx/rx setup, but you will be getting a better radio system. RTF planes normally come with the bare minimum in terms of transmitters, so you will need to buy yourself a better one soon enough anyways. Getting a BNF might just save you money in the long run.

Ai
My first question is, why do you need such a long flight time? Longer flight means a bigger battery which means more weight. In a trainer you don't want that. Remember that you can always just land and change batteries, so flight time isn't really important. Also, you would get bored of flying within 20 minutes unless you have a specific mission to complete. If you do have a specific mission to complete and the plane is for that, then you should probably wait until you have more experience to complete it.
When it comes to RTF vs BNF, a BNF will cost more when you factor in the tx/rx setup, but you will be getting a better radio system. RTF planes normally come with the bare minimum in terms of transmitters, so you will need to buy yourself a better one soon enough anyways. Getting a BNF might just save you money in the long run.
Aight thanks. Also I just feel like it would be cool for a plane to last a long time

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
This is in my opinion your best bet. I absolutely loved mine. A skilled pilot can fly in between there legs.https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/sport-cub-s-2-rtf-with-safe/HBZ44000.html
I was actually about to talk about this one. Imo this is one of the best trainers you can buy, super easy to fly and really fun even for an advanced pilot. It costs a bit more but I think it's worth it. I have been flying for 5 years now and I was even thinking of buying one for myself just cause it is so dang fun.
I'd say the biggest downside is that it can only fly with a Spektrum radio. To fix this I'd get the RTF with the cheap little transmitter, so that when you want to upgrade transmitters you won't be locked into Spektrum and can instead get something else.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I was actually about to talk about this one. Imo this is one of the best trainers you can buy, super easy to fly and really fun even for an advanced pilot. It costs a bit more but I think it's worth it. I have been flying for 5 years now and I was even thinking of buying one for myself just cause it is so dang fun.
I'd say the biggest downside is that it can only fly with a Spektrum radio. To fix this I'd get the RTF with the cheap little transmitter, so that when you want to upgrade transmitters you won't be locked into Spektrum and can instead get something else.
I was going to buy one from a local hobby shop but all they had was rtf, I want bnf so I can use my radiomaster. One of the funnest planes I’ve flown

bigdano711

I own the Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub 1.2. Bought it RTF and it came with the Spektrum DXe, which is quite a bit of radio if you really look at it. It's basically a 6 channel computer radio without the LCD interface. You have to hook it up to a computer to change settings, which would be tough at the field but do-able with a laptop or tablet.

The OP simply wants way more than one can get nowadays. My first thought was the VolantexRC series of stuff. I think there's one RTF for under $100, 3 channel. The only other one is the Cub that people posted.

Save up some money and get a decent Tx/Rx combo, then build one of the micro's from FT + appropriate power pack.

Hoomi

Master member
Your best bet for a long flight time will be a powered glider, with a flight profile of using the prop to get to altitude, and then gliding until you start to get low again. I've flown my Calypso glider for 20 to 30 minutes on a 1300 mAh 3S battery. Gliders also tend to be good for learning, as they tend to fly more stable and sedate, giving a new pilot time to react.

The Calypso was discontinued some time ago, but there are numerous powered glider models available on the market. Whether you'll find anything in the price range you stated, however, is another matter. All too often, cheap RC airplanes reveal shortly after buying them, why they were so cheap to buy in the first place. What you might consider is looking for a flying club near you, and seeing if anyone there might have a used setup they no longer use, that they would be willing to sell. If so, you stand a better chance of getting a decent plane without breaking your budget.

Your best bet for a long flight time will be a powered glider, with a flight profile of using the prop to get to altitude, and then gliding until you start to get low again. I've flown my Calypso glider for 20 to 30 minutes on a 1300 mAh 3S battery. Gliders also tend to be good for learning, as they tend to fly more stable and sedate, giving a new pilot time to react.

The Calypso was discontinued some time ago, but there are numerous powered glider models available on the market. Whether you'll find anything in the price range you stated, however, is another matter. All too often, cheap RC airplanes reveal shortly after buying them, why they were so cheap to buy in the first place. What you might consider is looking for a flying club near you, and seeing if anyone there might have a used setup they no longer use, that they would be willing to sell. If so, you stand a better chance of getting a decent plane without breaking your budget.
I'm thinking a Bixler 3 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-...D=71297&indexName=hbk_live_products_analytics), I've done a lot of research and I think ill get the fs-i6 (https://www.flysky-cn.com/i6-gaishu), and the bixler 3 is on sale rn

Hoomi

Master member
The Bixler does look like it would be a good choice. It's labeled as a glider, so you should be able to throttle back once in the air, and maximize your flying time by gliding.

My only Hobbyking plane so far, is a BFG2600 that I got from the widow of a club member that had passed away. It's a HUGE plane (2.6 meter/8.5 ft. wingspan), but a nice flier, and while I can't say for certain just how old it is, I believe it's been out of production for at least five years now. It's held up pretty well.

bigdano711

I've seen guys try to learn on pusher prop....didn't go very well. My advice is standard trainer style on trike gear with steerable nose wheel.