XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

dehager

I have a RunCam 2 and want to capture the tail mounted perspective that Ben recorded in the end of his Time Lapse video blasting through the desert. Here is a removable mount to support the RunCam 2. Two 4-40 or 3mm bolts pinch the rudder base between the arms. You can add the ferrules to the rudder to provide additional support and prevent crushing the foam if you wish.

IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0641.PNG IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0646.jpg

Attachments

• RunCam F-16 Tail Mount.zip
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • RunCam F-16 Tail Mount.stl
    331.8 KB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's lookin SO GOOD! Way to go man! I've got my F-18 wing almost done and ready for the rails too, they look sweet.

BATTERY: I've flown it on up to a 5000mAh 4S with the FMS 70mm 12-blade EDF, and it still hauls. If you go down to a 2200, just make sure it's got a good high-C rating and don't expect more than a few minutes in the air! :D

dehager

That's gorgeous!! Could you post a pic of the paint you used - I really love the colors and want to do a similar paint job on mine!

For this one I used Createx paints and mixed my three colors. Opaque Black, Opaque White, Opaque Sky Blue and Pearl Copper over a base of White Autoborne Sealer. I really like the Createx brand of paints as they are designed for Airbrush and work well. Careful when mixing colors as they usually dry darker than they look in the bottle.

If I did not have the Createx colors on hand I would use my favorite art store paint, Delta Creative Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint over a white base. These are a $1 for a 2oz bottle and mix well with distilled water and there are lots of colors. I have found that they do no rub off of the Flite Test foam board and can be sprayed or brushed. The finish will be flat, so if you want a gloss finish you will need to topcoat with their clear Ceramcoat Acrylic Varnish which works very well.

IMG_0737.JPG

From their site:
The Delta Ceramcoat Varnish is a acrylic polymer that forms a tough, flexible, waterproof, ultraviolet-resistant film that is exceptionally clear and colorless. ... When dry, varnish may be wet or dry sanded. Soap and water clean up, non-toxic and low-odor.
Delta Paint 02.JPG

Delta Paint.JPG

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
For this one I used Createx paints and mixed my three colors. Opaque Black, Opaque White, Opaque Sky Blue and Pearl Copper over a base of White Autoborne Sealer. I really like the Createx brand of paints as they are designed for Airbrush and work well. Careful when mixing colors as they usually dry darker than they look in the bottle.

If I did not have the Createx colors on hand I would use my favorite art store paint, Delta Creative Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint over a white base. These are a $1 for a 2oz bottle and mix well with distilled water and there are lots of colors. I have found that they do no rub off of the Flite Test foam board and can be sprayed or brushed. The finish will be flat, so if you want a gloss finish you will need to topcoat with their clear Ceramcoat Acrylic Varnish which works very well.

View attachment 161927

From their site:
The Delta Ceramcoat Varnish is a acrylic polymer that forms a tough, flexible, waterproof, ultraviolet-resistant film that is exceptionally clear and colorless. ... When dry, varnish may be wet or dry sanded. Soap and water clean up, non-toxic and low-odor.
View attachment 161929
View attachment 161928
I don’t have an air brush (yet!) so I’ll see about picking up the creamcoat paint. :)

dehager

I just noticed the turkey feathers on your nozzle, NICE! How did you do that detail?

I found an exhaust nozzle pic and made a template on some card stock. Then it was just tracing the outline with a Sharpie Marker over some silver paint and adding the soot marks with a paint wash. Close enough scale, it looks good from three feet.

Attachments

• F16 Nozzle.JPG
    F16 Nozzle.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

dehager

Yesterday was the Maiden Flight. Overall the flight was excellent and was quite exhilarating as I fly at a rather small grass field. It was a little breezy with primarily a crosswind and the plane handled it without complaint. Flight time with the 4S 3600mAh 50C battery was approximately 5 minutes but I was being rather conservative on the first few flights.

As for the finish, it is Createx paint and inkjet waterslide decals. The graphics are my loose interpretation of the military markings. So in this case the Aggressor Squadron is from Pennsylvania (where I live), the Serial Number AF20 AMA4293 (Air Force built in 2020 | and my AMA membership number) and of course I am the Captain.

Final weights - Empty Weight - 853.00g (30.08oz) no battery / Flying Weight 1233.00g (43.49oz) w/ 4S 3600mAh

Here is the Maiden Flight video. As usual its short, two minutes and thirty eight seconds of just the important info and highlights to keep your attention. YouTube - Maiden Flight 03/18/2020

RunCam 2 and a GoPro were used for the video.

A big thank you to Ben Harber for the design!

IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0760.JPG
GH010996 (2).jpg

Guy S.

is there a way to get tiled plans or should i just got get it printed at staples or something like that?
I have never done it myself, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of others using a pdf reader to break it up in the printing options. Sorry I can’t be more specific.