XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

aurelien

I have never done it myself, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of others using a pdf reader to break it up in the printing options. Sorry I can’t be more specific.
No worries, but if I get it printed at the store should I ask for each sheet to be the same size as the foam board?

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hey pilots
searched whole thread to see dimensions of the thrust tube ? Plans all printed out and waiting on my Corona FB order.
measurd out the thrust tube and it seems it’s just straight lined tube, no reduction in exit tube.

my last EDF build was the bigger a few years back and I remember there was slight reduction in comparison from the unit to the exit exhaust.
i there any reason this is just straight tube ?

cant wait to build this and thinking of paint shop job before I have got The foam
amazing builds on this thread and lots off information

dehager

There is no real taper on this one, Ben is the keeper of that secret. When I did my tube I made one out of paper first and used that to determine the dimensions. That is way easier than trying to use a template. My tube is made from drafting mylar and it was assembled with CA and canopy glue. I made it long so I was able to trim it to provide a nice tight transition to the exhaust nozzle.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

shadeyB

Legendary member
There is no real taper on this one, Ben is the keeper of that secret. When I did my tube I made one out of paper first and used that to determine the dimensions. That is way easier than trying to use a template. My tube is made from drafting mylar and it was assembled with CA and canopy glue. I made it long so I was able to trim it to provide a nice tight transition to the exhaust nozzle.

View attachment 167631 View attachment 167632 View attachment 167633
It’s difficult to get real thrust performance from static test and therefore not taking into account Air flow and pressure during flight , last tube I built for the Viggen had exit point 67 mm , I will go with Ben’s decisions for straight through pipe 😂 replacing fan with 12 blade on 4 s 😂
See what happens lol gotta be better than 6 blade EDF on 3s

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
do you mind explaining how you tiled the plans? because i think they only come in full size
This is a quote from @Grifflyer's plan index:
All my plans are done in full size sheets, you can still print them with a regular household printer if you use Adobe Reader. All you have to do is open up the plans in Adobe Reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make taping the sheets of paper together easier, but it will increase your page count from 8 to 12. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.
Note: If you do not have the poster option on your laptop you may need to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader. It may even be old enough that looking in the program options for updates does not work. You will have to go to Adobe website to get new version

shadeyB

Legendary member
She’s complete 😍 hopefully talk my good lady into coming out to film maiden for me 😍
absolutely love how my Covid Viper has turned out

Attachments

• F587F4E0-B522-42D9-B873-82996AE5777F.jpeg
    F587F4E0-B522-42D9-B873-82996AE5777F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 14EEB7D1-AA73-4204-AFD7-1C96EB9F39D8.jpeg
    14EEB7D1-AA73-4204-AFD7-1C96EB9F39D8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 9704B6E0-DFFB-4007-B571-442804387D57.jpeg
    9704B6E0-DFFB-4007-B571-442804387D57.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@Mid7night, is there any way that one could mod this for a BDF? If I could I'd like to. The two problems I see are being able to actually fit it in the fuse and the thrust tube having to taper down to much.

These plans particularly wouldn't fit a BDF, simply because of the diameter. John Overstreet has actually designed an F-16 specifically around my BDF, and it appears to fly awesome! It is planned to be a future FT SBK release, although I have no idea when.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It is planned to be a future FT SBK release, although I have no idea when.
I've kinda given up on waiting for John's designs now... :ROFLMAO: I still do plan on building this F-16 sometime soon, but I am building the X-29 first since I've built all of Andres's other designs and it felt right to finish them off with the X-29. BTW I've already gotten paint for this build so it's definitely happening. :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A big THANK YOU to Ben for sharing the design !!!

I have been wanting to build this for quite some time. So this morning I converted and cut the plans on FT foam board with my needle cutter. Still undecided on the actual battery capacity and will wait until I figure out the CG but will start with the 4S 3600mAh. I will be using the following for the power system.

- Freewing 70mm 12-Blade EDF 4S w/ 2849-2850KV
- Castle Creations 75A Edge Lite ESC
- 3600mAh 4S 14.8V 50C LiPo

View attachment 159026
@dehager would you be willing to PM me the G-code for the F-16? I just got the ERC needle cutter so once I get it set up I'd like to cut the Viper out with it. Plus it'll be good to have a proven file to test while I get it set up.

Dimi

Hello everybody.

I am not new to EDF neither to build EDF models, I have even the FT Viggen and is tons of fun. What I was trying to find in this thread was in what size paper should I print the plans? I have access to a plotter but I couldn`t find to any post on this thread what size of paper the plans should be printed to???
Any support would be great!

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hello everybody.

I am not new to EDF neither to build EDF models, I have even the FT Viggen and is tons of fun. What I was trying to find in this thread was in what size paper should I print the plans? I have access to a plotter but I couldn`t find to any post on this thread what size of paper the plans should be printed to???
Any support would be great!
I would say A1 ? I’m not 100% sure as I tile all mine on A4 sheets

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I would say A1 ? I’m not 100% sure as I tile all mine on A4 sheets
He is looking to print full size sheets, not small pages.

You'll have to open the PDF and just see what size the sheets are in the PDF, that should answer the question on what width paper is needed.