XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's Version 3.0 in the livery of an Israeli F-16. #1 died pretty quickly from delamination- the control surfaces separated at low altitude. Not much left to salvage from that one. #2 had the EDF wire sucked into the blades and the post mortem wound up destroying most of the plane. However, Ben's Viper flies so well and looks so amazing in the air, I had to build another one. Third time's a charm, right?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Trying to print out the PDF files but seems like they will come out too small. Any hints on how to print out at 100%

Adobe Acrobat makes it pretty easy...from the Print Menu use
the poster setting, make sure you're at 100%. There's tons of screenshots and examples here on the forums if you search for them.

One flew over

Please help:

On the pdf plans I can not find parts in pic 2 in the build guide. Right and left lower skins and the F4a and F5a I don't see anywhere? Could there be another pdf file that is needed? thanks so much

One flew over

Has anyone built this jet from the plans? I think there is another pdf needed on those as some parts do not seem to be on the ones posted. Any thoughts appreciated

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Has anyone built this jet from the plans? I think there is another pdf needed on those as some parts do not seem to be on the ones posted. Any thoughts appreciated
There's been a couple of small revisions to the plans over the years, but you should have all of the parts you need. I didn't use a build guide, but instead just used the pictures on this thread, like Mid7Night's on post #65.

The plans used five full sheets of foamboard. I don't recognize the F4a or F5a parts you mentioned. Can you give a few more details about what is missing?

One flew over

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I cannot find the bottom wing, or the formers F4a and F5a. In the build guide first page second and 3rd pic I cannot find any of these parts in the pdf plans? I have printed out the plans and then gone over them again looking at the pdf plans on line and I cannot find them. I an experienced builder but stumped on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Hmmm... curious: are you building the "official" FT MS F-16 or the Mid7nights plan's (from this thread)?

I've looked through the plans a couple of times and don't see the pieces you are looking for, either. Ben labels his plan parts using names, so F4a or F5a formers don't exist. Nor is there a bottom to the wing- its all one piece that folds over. Can you send a link to the build guide you referenced or a picture of the parts you are looking for? Maybe that can help clear up the confusion.

One flew over

Thanks again for your reply. I attached the Build Guide for the plane, but beginning to think the plans are different from the kit?

The parts I cannot find are on the first page following the cover. None of the plans I downloaded have the bottom wing or the formers as indicated in pics 2, 3 and 4. I am not building the kit but Mid7nights plans on this thread. I was or am assuming the parts would be the same but maybe not? It seems all pics in the thread are related to the kit? So no way to really follow how to build from those plans. A shame as I have all the parts but stuck at this point. Again your help is really appreciated

Attachments

• F16+Build+Instructions+Rev+A_s.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 0

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Thanks again for your reply. I attached the Build Guide for the plane, but beginning to think the plans are different from the kit?

The parts I cannot find are on the first page following the cover. None of the plans I downloaded have the bottom wing or the formers as indicated in pics 2, 3 and 4. I am not building the kit but Mid7nights plans on this thread. I was or am assuming the parts would be the same but maybe not? It seems all pics in the thread are related to the kit? So no way to really follow how to build from those plans. A shame as I have all the parts but stuck at this point. Again your help is really appreciated
That build guide is for the FLITE TEST Master Series F-16. It is different from the plane/plans in this thread.
This thread is for the Mid7night (BEN HARBER) designed F-16.

CrshNBrn

Elite member

I thought so. I checked out the build guide- it looks like a pretty sweet plane. If it were me, I'd try to cut my own pieces as best I could from the pictures and fit with the rest of the plane.

On the other hand, it may be possible that you're missing a sheet from the speed build kit. It happened to me a couple years ago- a P-47 I ordered was short one sheet. Fortunately, the plans were available online and I cut my own, but did let the Flite Test Store know about it. Their customer service was awesome and wound up sending me a whole new kit for free; I now have both razorback and bubbletop Thunderbolts!

Good luck.

One flew over

Thanks again for your thoughts. I am with you in terms of sort of build as I go type of build. I did write to flight test and they responded that it was not theirs, so an off shoot of the jet. So there is likely not a sheet missing but just a different plan from flight test altogether. I put it on hold for a bit, designing and building a Gulfstream business jet with 2 EDF's on the rear. This hobby is an addiction!

Spitfire76

I'm new to EDF powered planes so was looking for a good starter jet and I know there are some smaller ones out there to start but really wanted to build and fly the F18 but figured with only one EDF this F16 maybe a better option. As this build was done a few years ago some of the recommended power options are no longer sold and wanted to check if the EDF sold on the FT Store is a good fit.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I'm new to EDF powered planes so was looking for a good starter jet and I know there are some smaller ones out there to start but really wanted to build and fly the F18 but figured with only one EDF this F16 maybe a better option. As this build was done a few years ago some of the recommended power options are no longer sold and wanted to check if the EDF sold on the FT Store is a good fit.

Mine flew great on a cheap 6 blade, 4S motor... I think a 6S, 12 Blade would scream!

Yankee2003

Hey Richard…I thought I might find you here..😏

Spitfire76

Added my build log for this project.....

speedy7385

What ESC and battery did you go with, capacity and C rating?
I been using 80A esc, 4s 2200mah 45c. Gets 3-3.5min of flight time. Depends on your build, might be able to use larger battery for longer flight.
Both my Bat Wing and Jet are using the same setup.

Attachments

• 20230703_175216.jpg
    16.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230529_122453.jpg
    14.6 MB · Views: 0