Willy Nillie's Barnstormer Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I hate you...

You lay the parts out on the table and glue em in position and it comes out perfect. I could do that a piece at a time using lasers and leveling blocks to keep it all straight and it would still be all catty wompus. Not to mention shaking hands knocking everything over like dominoes.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Two things to mention here.

First, Doug cut it with a fricken lazer beam to fit together perfectly already! It would take real effort to get this thing twisted! I'm not doubting that you could apply that effort - I've met you after all and have seen the power of Bill's Law :p - but it's really not that hard to let these kits come together almost by themselves.

Second, I didn't shown where I shoved my thumb through the leading edge beam while pushing a rib in. :poop: However, it's just balsa so I pushed all the pieces back together, dripped some glue on it, and now you can hardly tell and it'll be invisible once the covering is on. When I'm back in the shop later tonight I'll take a close up of the repair for ya'll to point and laugh at! :p

Rockboy,
Much love of your balsa skills!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Thank you sir! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Two things to mention here.

First, Doug cut it with a fricken lazer beam to fit together perfectly already! It would take real effort to get this thing twisted! I'm not doubting that you could apply that effort - I've met you after all and have seen the power of Bill's Law :p - but it's really not that hard to let these kits come together almost by themselves.

Second, I didn't shown where I shoved my thumb through the leading edge beam while pushing a rib in. :poop: However, it's just balsa so I pushed all the pieces back together, dripped some glue on it, and now you can hardly tell and it'll be invisible once the covering is on. When I'm back in the shop later tonight I'll take a close up of the repair for ya'll to point and laugh at! :p

Thank you sir! :D
Dont taunt the Law baby.. it may bite you in the butt. If I look n laugh it may break again just because. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Here's the heavy thumb-induced repair spot - all fixed up now! :D

IMG_20191114_212112-1024x768.jpg

No ailerons on the top wing, so I'm just gluing on those extensions to increase the wing chord a bit. Overkill? Perhaps. I'm looking for a real stately floater for flight performance though, so this should be another nudge in the right direction.

IMG_20191114_213619-1024x768.jpg

Bottom sheeting...

IMG_20191114_214834-1024x768.jpg

Top sheeting once the shear webbing is all in place. I'm planning for a rubber band mounting so no need to design extra internal bracing for hard mount points.

IMG_20191114_222428-1024x768.jpg

And now there are two wings, nicely scaled so the top is a little bigger (and flatter) than the bottom.

IMG_20191114_224611-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Looking great RockyBoy! What's your opinion of the semi-symmetrical wing kits? Also, I have ply cabane struts cad'd and some cut. If you want we will send you a set. That last picture.... I see a Stearman in there!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Attachments

• Barnstormer Cabanes 11-16-19.jpg
    Barnstormer Cabanes 11-16-19.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd love the try the cabanes! Those look great, and super simple to slip in there.

On the semi-symmetrical wing kits, they went together great!

- I did run an emery board along the rib slots to open it up and slide into the leading edge a little easier - they could be pushed in, but a little sanding let them slide in without so much force.

- I really prefer this control horn slot design over the previous one. An extra hole in the center sheeting on the other side would let the servo wires go through into the fuselage no matter if you decide to mount the servos on top of bottom of the wing.

I think it would be a nice touch if the wing end cap rib had a couple slots cut to match a couple tabs on the wingtips so they could be slotted into place and glued while standing there (instead of using the old pin or hold methods).

Since I had the experience of building the full symmetrical kit from the first Barnstormer, I didn't feel the need to look up any instructions - it all went together very simply! Two thumbs up! (y)(y)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
After a few days of life distractions, I got a few minutes back in the shop tonight.

First part of the fuselage build is get the firewall ready - glued and clamped both halves of the motor mount for a bit - and then squeezed and glued in some 2-56 blind nuts to the firewall.
IMG_20191118_181136-1024x768.jpg

And then put fuselage formers F1, F2, F3, and the two battery tray pieces between the fuse sides, clamped a little, and applied glue.

IMG_20191119_183449-1024x768.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
After a few days of life distractions, I got a few minutes back in the shop tonight.

First part of the fuselage build is get the firewall ready - glued and clamped both halves of the motor mount for a bit - and then squeezed and glued in some 2-56 blind nuts to the firewall. View attachment 148524

And then put fuselage formers F1, F2, F3, and the two battery tray pieces between the fuse sides, clamped a little, and applied glue.

View attachment 148523
Coming along nicely. Would you mind taking a few dimensions off of those clamps and the rod diameter? I want to draw some up and 3d print them. I am going to order a Willy Nillies kit for the build along and I am going to need some clamps. Thanks

TooJung2Die

Master member
Coming along nicely. Would you mind taking a few dimensions off of those clamps and the rod diameter? I want to draw some up and 3d print them. I am going to order a Willy Nillies kit for the build along and I am going to need some clamps. Thanks
Those clamps look simple and versatile. I think I can make something similar using hardwood for the arms and I have a pile of used CF arrow shafts.

Turbojoe

Elite member

If you make a file for the clamps I hope you'll share it. I've got a bunch of clamps but you can never have too many! I've drawn up and 3D printed a few very small items but my old dusty brain just can't wrap itself around any learning anything but the most basic CAD.

Joe