Mini Master Series Spitfire

Plane Mini Master Series Spitfire 1.1

Please log in to download
Type
Build Plan (PDF, AI, etc.)
When I set out to design the Spitfire, I wanted to try keeping things simple and easy to build for a Master Series plane. I chose to go for a fuselage that has an inner frame that then gets skinned in foam, rather than taking the "mold together" route that Overstreet uses. I put a lot of work into adding the scale details using just foamboard. Like the large wing fillets that characterize the Spitfire, and all the radiators under the wing, and I even went as far as adding little exhaust stacks. I've also designed 3D printed exhaust stacks, and radiators for under the wing, which are shared on Thingiverse. Because of the small nose and relatively large size of the Mini Power pod, this design won't have a power pod or even a standard FT Mini Firewall, but if you already have one of the Mini Firewalls, you can make a few simple cuts to make it compatible with this plane. I really liked the shape that @nerdnic was able to achieve on his Spitfire canopy, link to his plane so I took his and made a few changes to make it fit onto my bird.

P1280892.JPG

@BATTLEAXE graciously reached out to me to help put together this nice video for the plane. So go show him a some love, watch some of his vids, and toss him a sub. You can find his channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFM8PpAbZs1F8PEJhgS2EA

Overview-

Speed-
Top speed is very respectable, and while your at speed the plane is very smooth. It slows down very well for landing and remains very stable as your speed decreases.

Handling-
The handling of this plane is very docile, the roll rate is very scale and smooth. The tracking on this plane is outstanding while right side up and inverted!

Stalls-
The stalls on this model are very gentle, and occur at very low speeds. The ailerons aren't the most effective thing at speeds so they can get a little mushy when you are coming in for a landing, but it's not uncontrollable I've landed this bird in a stiff crosswind without any issues.

Aerobatics-
Since the plane lacks a rudder the aerobatic ability is limited to the basics such as, Loops, Rolls, Inverted, Split S's etc.

Take offs-
I like launching this plane by holding it right behind the wing, wrapping my fingers around the wing fillets and giving it a firm toss.

Landing-
Landing this model is like any other FT design all you need to do is lower your airspeed and flare it in. Which I actually found to be a little difficult. Because this plane is quite slippery, I found myself struggling to lower my airspeed enough to land, and I've been starting my glide right before I turn into my final leg for landing when I usually chop the throttle to start the glide once I'm in my final leg.

Skill level-
If you want to put in the time to build this plane, it'd be a great first or second plane that uses ailerons, but since it's a pretty involved build it might not be the best plane for someone who is still expecting to crash.

You can find the 3D printed parts on Thingiverse
Author
Grifflyer
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

More resources from Grifflyer

Latest reviews

A lot of careful consideration went into this design. Excellent documentation.