3D Printed Quadcopter V 1.0

Andrea

The Runcam 3 was discontinued after GoPro threatened legal action, you may be thinking of the Split which does HD recording and a low latency FPV feed.
Screenshot_20180817-092625.jpg
Is this one?

Andrea

Okay thanks, I'll think about it...( actually i have a fake go pro and a normal fpv camera on my other quad 250)
I am also planning to upgrade my transmitter, I have i turnigy 9x ( the old one)...

Andrea

Hi!
I've added a camera mount on the front cover of the drone, this is how it looks right now
IMG_20180820_124440.jpg

and here is a video of the test that i've done

I've got a cheap action cam, and there is al little bit of jello

=)

Andrea

So, little story, my boos asked to me to try the 3d printed drone and crashed it in 40 seconds.
Unfortunately he managed to kill one arm and the antenna.

This is my drone killed in the office...
IMG-20180822-WA0002.jpg

However in the meantime i bought an frsky trasmitter (qx7s) and an RX4R receiver.
But after binding , my controller ( SPF3 clone) does not read any kind of signal from the receiver.
( I used S-Bus and followed a video for the connection,
)

Can anyone help to resolve this problem?
This is the receiver Map
IMG_20180822_191010.jpg

This is the photo that shows the connection that i've done
IMG_20180822_191006.jpg

this is a close up on the connection on the receiver
IMG_20180822_191016.jpg

at least i've time to redo the battery compartment...

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_173254.jpg
    IMG_20180822_173254.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Hard to see the FC connections... Did you connect the receivers SBUS_OUT to a UART Rx on the FC? Also, did you enable Serial_rx on that UART in the ports tab?

Andrea

New updated part,
first of all the bottom frame, now it opens because i've added an Hinge, the wall of the frame are now 4mm vs 8mm of the previous version
so i saved half of the weight
Updated Frame and battery holder.PNG
Another part is the FCB holder, I removed useless extra material around the screw's hole
FCB alleggerita.PNG

Andrea

I've a question fo you guys, now i'am running 5 inch propeller and a 3s setup but i can stay in the air only 4 minutes, do you think i should add a 4s setup or using 6 inch propellers?

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I've a question fo you guys, now i'am running 5 inch propeller and a 3s setup but i can stay in the air only 4 minutes, do you think i should add a 4s setup or using 6 inch propellers?
What is the "mAh" and the "C" ratings of your battery?

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I would probably start by upgrading to 4 cell with higher C rating at same mAh. Going from 3s to 4s at 1500mAh is going to add significant weight. In my experience using higher mAh can often be a wash as far as extra flight time due to the extra weight.

Afterthought; You could also try 1800 mAh with higher C rating and stay at 3 cell.

Last edited:

Andrea

I would probably start by upgrading to 4 cell with higher C rating at same mAh. Going from 3s to 4s at 1500mAh is going to add significant weight. In my experience using higher mAh can often be a wash as far as extra flight time due to the extra weight.

Afterthought; You could also try 1800 mAh with higher C rating and stay at 3 cell.
ok, i0ve placed and order for a 1800 mah battery 3s and 1500 mah battery 4s.

Meanwhile, i switched to 6 in prop, and i've added a buzzer on the board.
I got 10 minutes of flight time going around the garden.

Something strange happened, i did a fast turn ( after 2 minutes of flying), my voltage alarm start beeping and the motor stopped in mid air, then i crashed.
Did i miss something? I don't remember a disarm feature while the voltage is low...

could it be that 6 inch propellers draw too much current? ( i've the same setup on another quad but i never did something like that)

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Something strange happened, i did a fast turn ( after 2 minutes of flying), my voltage alarm start beeping and the motor stopped in mid air, then i crashed.
Did i miss something? I don't remember a disarm feature while the voltage is low...

could it be that 6 inch propellers draw too much current? ( i've the same setup on another quad but i never did something like that)

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Did you figure out what happened, a short? Larger props can cause motors to use more amps. I don't know enough to recommend the right combination for your quad tho.

Planiac01

Just saying in my experience with 3d printed quad frames, the arms tend to break off VERY easily, so I recommend incorporating a quick-release type system with small and easy to print replacement parts at your fingertips.

Andrea

Did you figure out what happened, a short? Larger props can cause motors to use more amps. I don't know enough to recommend the right combination for your quad tho.

I'm still waiting the battery, I used my old quad this weekend, and i'am printing some spare bodies.
I think is a battery problem, here is my explanation
( I'm gonna add some math )

Battery Capacity 1500 mAh
Battery Rating 30c

Battery Max Amp : 1500*30*10^-3=45 A

Motor ESC 35 A each
Motor Amps at 75% throttle =19 A ( i limited my throttle to 75 %)
Total Amps: 19*4= 76 A

Amps Delivery= 45-76= -31 A

So i think my battery rating are low and they don't provide enought amps.

The new battery will have 85 C rating

so 1.5*85 gives 127.5 A, I think that will solve the problem

Last edited:

Andrea

Just saying in my experience with 3d printed quad frames, the arms tend to break off VERY easily, so I recommend incorporating a quick-release type system with small and easy to print replacement parts at your fingertips.

I printed the arms to be the main frame, so they are pretty strong.
The battery bay, on the other hand, is the part that break in the crash because i made it light, it is only 2.4 mm thick