3D Printed Quadcopter V 1.0

Andrea

OK guys, i'm uploading a video because i can't figure what problem my escs have.
IMHO i think i burned down the esc during the weekend ( when i burned down also the fcb)
The motor spins ony with PWM mode, ONSHOT,MULTISHOT,DSHOT does not work either ( i've followed the josua bardell video )

The question is:
Do you think that i burned down the ecs?

If the answer is Yes
Should i buy a new one? ( do you have any tips , a better one , e good one, the same one?)

This is the link for the video =)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If this is anything like the Femto fc used and the target is a/the spf3evo this is common.

You will want to use the multishot protocol as it is faster then dshot 300 which is max for the 6amp esc's.

Then set min throttle abobe 1060 and that three motor start up issue goes away. You can test if this this is whats happening by arming, and when only three motors turn pitch and roll the quad slightly and the 4th motor will spin up and act normal.

Took me weeks to figure that out on my Gremlin build.

Just remembered... multishot only works on xx.5 I use 16.5 on my escs but I am running a year old setup at this point. I am not sure if it still works that way with the updates since then.

Last edited:

Andrea

If this is anything like the Femto fc used and the target is a/the spf3evo this is common.

You will want to use the multishot protocol as it is faster then dshot 300 which is max for the 6amp esc's.

Then set min throttle abobe 1060 and that three motor start up issue goes away. You can test if this this is whats happening by arming, and when only three motors turn pitch and roll the quad slightly and the 4th motor will spin up and act normal.

Just remembered... multishot only works on xx.5 I use 16.5 on my escs but I am running a year old setup at this point. I am not sure if it still works that way with the updates since then.
I 'll try your procedure asap, some info, the board is a spf3 and the esc is a thypoon 32

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mix n match builds can be a huge pain for sure. I am not totally sure if you use 32bit esc's on an older and slower 16bit if there maybe compatability issues. I have not tried as I know trying to make older games run on a newer 64 bit pc is enough of a pain I avoid doing things like that.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Mix n match builds can be a huge pain for sure. I am not totally sure if you use 32bit esc's on an older and slower 16bit if there maybe compatability issues. I have not tried as I know trying to make older games run on a newer 64 bit pc is enough of a pain I avoid doing things like that.

All of our flight controllers are 32 bit, and all the ESC communications/protocol is handled by the firmware.

@Andrea - if Bills sugggestion doesn't work, you can try remapping motor 4 to another pin on the FC.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
OK guys, i'm uploading a video because i can't figure what problem my escs have.
IMHO i think i burned down the esc during the weekend ( when i burned down also the fcb)
The motor spins ony with PWM mode, ONSHOT,MULTISHOT,DSHOT does not work either ( i've followed the josua bardell video )

The question is:
Do you think that i burned down the ecs?

If the answer is Yes
Should i buy a new one? ( do you have any tips , a better one , e good one, the same one?)

This is the link for the video =)
Some obvious things that you've probably already tried;
Be sure motor screws aren't touching the coils inside.
Noticed the motor wires are spliced, are the splices soldered? (each wire tinned before joining)
Do you have a spare motor that you could hook up to that ESC? (Or swap working motor)
Look at your ESC board under magnification and check that no tiny solder balls shorting pins of the chips and caps (or wire strands)
Good luck, you're really close...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All of our flight controllers are 32 bit, and all the ESC communications/protocol is handled by the firmware.

Ok brain fart.... stm32 chips on everything...duhhh.

Remapping was my next suggestion as that had to be done on some of the Femto controllers to get motor 4 to work with dshot which is why I ended up using multishot specially after I found it was faster the dshot 300.

Andrea

This procedure does not work, I'm gonna try the remap strategy for pin 1, wich is the ony one that gives me problem

Andrea

@Andrea - if Bills sugggestion doesn't work, you can try remapping motor 4 to another pin on the FC.
your procedure worked, i switched pin 1 to 5 and all the motor spins up at the same time, it seem calibrated.
Thank you to EVERYONE , your help is very appreciated

Last edited:

Andrea

I am ready for the maiden flight
IMG_20180814_141436.jpg

Last edited:

Andrea

So, the machine works. I'll post the maiden video ASAP.
Now, i'am starting the upgrades on the 3d model.
The starting model was this one
Upgrade 1.1.PNG
First of all the battery van will have a thickeness reduction , from 8 mm to 3 mm and 2 new air vents.
Initial weight 31 grams
Final weight 16 grams
Saved 15 grams, 50% weight loss
Upgrade 1.11.PNG

Another upgrade will be the cover, it has no structural behavior , so, I can reduce the thickeness from 6 mm to 2.4 mm and gain an extra gap between the cover and the electronics.
Initial weight 56 grams
Final weight 29 grams
Saved 27 grams, 50% weight loss
Upgrade 2.PNG

and the last one that i've in my mind, the body spacer, i can cut away some extra material, it is not necessary in order to make it wokr properly the frame
Upgrade 3.PNG

Tomorrow I'll Print the part

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
WEEEEEE!!!!

Well done mate. Way to stick with it and work thru the problems.

The new prints knock off a lot of weight so that will be a huge plus not only on flight times but for losing mass that = more damage on harder impacts.

Andrea

Tomorrow I'll start with the PID tuning, it feel a little bit sluggish, I think it's the P that is low.
AH another issue, the battery gets very hot inside the frame, so i am gonna add a few more holes in order to make it breath

Andrea

New upgrade part, I've a fake go pro, and i would like to add a support for the camera, what do you think guys?
Go pro Upgrade.PNG
Go pro Upgrade2.PNG
Go pro Upgrade3.PNG
Go pro Upgrade3.PNG

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Nice! I saw the maiden, and was impressed with how well it flew. Now, to take it out and crank it up to eleven as you push it through an obstacle course or do some freestyle with it. :)

I like your 3D mount, butI would recommend you tilt it backwards, 25-30 degrees. That way, when you are flying level, it will feel as if you are looking forward out of the camera, rather than down at the ground the entire time. Try looking at some of the Hero Session mounts on Thingiverse, and you'll see what I mean with the angle.

Andrea

Ok, understood about the angle ! =)
I would like to add and fpv cam, did u guys have some tips about a runcam 3?
I mean, can i use that cum for recording and sending video to a ground station?

I'am not a freestyle man, i did not have enought time to learn...until now

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Ok, understood about the angle ! =)
I would like to add and fpv cam, did u guys have some tips about a runcam 3?
I mean, can i use that cum for recording and sending video to a ground station?

I'am not a freestyle man, i did not have enought time to learn...until now

The Runcam 3 was discontinued after GoPro threatened legal action, you may be thinking of the Split which does HD recording and a low latency FPV feed.