9xr transmitter and orange open lrs for fpv

ericf

Hey everyone, I am doing some research on fpv and I have a question. Is anyone using the turnigy 9xr and orange open lrs module for fpv? Just wondering how reliable everyone thinks it is. I hate to "go cheap" on my radio link, but the price sure is enticing and the 9xr seems favorable. My other(and more expensive) option is the taranis transmitter and an open lrs or ezuhf module. Thought, opinions, actual experience would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have no exp. with the LRS but own both the Taranis and the 9X (don't care for the looks/layout of the 9XR so I just modded my 9X). I'm happy to answer any questions on either...

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I use the orange openLRS with my 9x. I haven't done any "long distance" yet but overall I've been very happy with it. I've mostly been using it with my quad for two reasons - 1) I love the simple wiring of the PPM output and 2) I love the two way telemetry.

However I did have an issue (a flyaway) about a week and a half ago that I think may have been due to the openLRS and I've been having issues reflashing it since.

I will say it's a bit of work to get it setup, openLRSng is more or less necessary and while it has a great GUI for flashing/setup it still takes some research/knowledge to get it going.

For the price though there's nothing else like it. And once I figure out why the config program keeps crashing when trying to connect to my serial adapter (which has worked fine with it in the past) I'll be using it again since I really miss the clean 1 wire control signal and my telemetry.

ericf

Thanks guys! I am not sure what to do, as I have a spektrum radio now and most everything I've read on fpv forums say that I should ditch the spektrum. I like the idea of the open source lrs, but I'm not sure I would have the knowledge to set it up. The 9xr for $50 on HK seems too good to be true. Is it a trustworthy tx? I could always pair it with the ezuhf and have a long range rc for about $150. I know I'll end up having to buy fpv components over again, I just want to start with a solid radio link. Thanks for any suggestions!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If you're happy with your spektrum you could always use it to drive the openLRS. Either directly off the trainer port or by setting up a repeater like in this thread:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?9069-Arduino-RC-Link-Repeater

And even then it doesn't have to be that complex. All you really need is a Spektrum RX with PPM out that you can feed to the LRS module. Then your TX talks DSM over short range to the LRS module.

Really any LRS system is going to have a good bit of research and learning behind getting setup to use it properly and legally (Don't forget any of them you'll NEED a ham license to be legal) and the nice thing about the openLRS stuff is once you know what you're doing every bit of the system is open and able to be hacked :)

ericf

If you're happy with your spektrum you could always use it to drive the openLRS. Either directly off the trainer port or by setting up a repeater like in this thread:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?9069-Arduino-RC-Link-Repeater

And even then it doesn't have to be that complex. All you really need is a Spektrum RX with PPM out that you can feed to the LRS module. Then your TX talks DSM over short range to the LRS module.

Really any LRS system is going to have a good bit of research and learning behind getting setup to use it properly and legally (Don't forget any of them you'll NEED a ham license to be legal) and the nice thing about the openLRS stuff is once you know what you're doing every bit of the system is open and able to be hacked :)

Thanks for the info! I will definitely have my license before I fly! I want to keep this hobby going, not be the bonehead that ruins it for everyone. I have heard that the spektrum doesn't really work well with the UHF plug ins through the trainer port. I don't mind getting another transmitter if it means means a better chance of not losing a plane. I only have a DX6i, so I would like some more options from the tx anyway. Do you have any opinion on the 9x vs the 9xr? Is there a good thread on this forum or any others for setting up an open LRS? Thanks again!

ericf

I have no exp. with the LRS but own both the Taranis and the 9X (don't care for the looks/layout of the 9XR so I just modded my 9X). I'm happy to answer any questions on either...

Good info! Thanks! Which tx do you prefer between the two?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Last night I was able to reflash my openLRS units finally, apparently the problem I've been having is due to my homemade serial->USB adapter made from an old hacked phone cable. It was working until until this last time I tried to use it and now the openLRS config program just crashes with it on Windows. Even though I was able to use the adpater for other things. And last night I finally got it to work by doing it on my linux notebook. So the openLRS wasn't the issue.

And after doing that a bit more experimentation shows that the issue I've been having with PPM from the openLRS to my quad was indeed due to the controller on the quad. So the openLRS probably wasn't the cause of my flyaway.

With that out of the way, I love my 9x. But it did take some work. I had to move the antenna from the radio to the module, add a backlight, and wire up a programming port. None of it particularly hard (the soldering for the programming port was the hardest part) but does take some research and an evening or two of work.

The 9xr has all that out of the box. But I don't really like the styling of the 9xr and it's hard to call it a good deal since it doesn't come with a module. Since I now have 3 modules (The original 9x FlySky, an Orange DSM, and my Orange openLRS) I wouldn't mind picking up a 9xr as a second radio so I could let friends or my wife fly at the same time I'm flying. But I have a hard time suggesting it as a first radio since once you add in the cost of a module it's a fair bit more than a 9x...but it is easier to get up and going with.

If the Taranis is in your budget I'd suggest getting on the wait list for one. I'd love to pick one up but it just isn't in the budget for me right now. It sure seems to hit all the sweet spots for a dream off the shelf hackable radio.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Good info! Thanks! Which tx do you prefer between the two?
Taranis, hands down. More powerful processor and better build quality, mostly 3 position switches and sliders on the sides for even more flexibility. Ball bearing gimbals for super smooth feel, comparable to much higher end radios. I've had a friend who flies JR 9503's give it a try and he can't feel a difference. Check out Aloft for the quickest shipping I have ever seen. When I got the email telling me mine was in stock, I ordered on Friday morning and had it in my excited little hands on Monday! Awesome! And for some of the details...
Features:

Full Telemetry RSSI alarms (warns you of signal reception problems before disaster can strike)
Self test of the transmitter antenna
16 channels (more when combined with external module)
60 model memories
64 mixers, 9 flight modes
16 custom curves with 3-17 points each, 32 logic switches
Voice or custom sound alerts
USB and SD card slot for system expansion
Long range system capable of up to 3 times the range of current 2.4 systems
Quad bearing gimbals that are silky smooth
State-of-the-art open source software
Large 212 X 64 backlit LCD screen
Real-time data logging
Receiver lock (program locked to aircraft - limited to FrSky receivers running PXX protocol)
JR Style module bay for additional RF modules and so much more
Selectable flight mode (1, 2, 3, or 4) Ships in Mode 2, Throttle on left stick.
2 timers, count up or down, throttle %, talking, etc.
Trims - Adjustable from course to extra fine with extended and exponential trims
Standard trainer jack
ARM Cortex M3 32-bit 60MHz
Integrates with CompanionTX – a FREE computer program that is a transmitter setup buddy. CompanionTX (Windows/Mac/Linux) is used to set-up models with the wizard, save, edit and share your models and settings as well as simulate your transmitter or model setup.
USB connection for firmware upgrades, sound editing, R/W to the microSD card and integrate with CompanionTX
Sticks and pots can be calibrated by the end user.

Mine came with the SD installed and voices and images already saved so you can get started with no wait or need to hook to a comp first. I love mine!

ericf

Taranis, hands down. More powerful processor and better build quality, mostly 3 position switches and sliders on the sides for even more flexibility. Ball bearing gimbals for super smooth feel, comparable to much higher end radios. I've had a friend who flies JR 9503's give it a try and he can't feel a difference. Check out Aloft for the quickest shipping I have ever seen. When I got the email telling me mine was in stock, I ordered on Friday morning and had it in my excited little hands on Monday! Awesome! And for some of the details...
Features:

Full Telemetry RSSI alarms (warns you of signal reception problems before disaster can strike)
Self test of the transmitter antenna
16 channels (more when combined with external module)
60 model memories
64 mixers, 9 flight modes
16 custom curves with 3-17 points each, 32 logic switches
Voice or custom sound alerts
USB and SD card slot for system expansion
Long range system capable of up to 3 times the range of current 2.4 systems
Quad bearing gimbals that are silky smooth
State-of-the-art open source software
Large 212 X 64 backlit LCD screen
Real-time data logging
Receiver lock (program locked to aircraft - limited to FrSky receivers running PXX protocol)
JR Style module bay for additional RF modules and so much more
Selectable flight mode (1, 2, 3, or 4) Ships in Mode 2, Throttle on left stick.
2 timers, count up or down, throttle %, talking, etc.
Trims - Adjustable from course to extra fine with extended and exponential trims
Standard trainer jack
ARM Cortex M3 32-bit 60MHz
Integrates with CompanionTX – a FREE computer program that is a transmitter setup buddy. CompanionTX (Windows/Mac/Linux) is used to set-up models with the wizard, save, edit and share your models and settings as well as simulate your transmitter or model setup.
USB connection for firmware upgrades, sound editing, R/W to the microSD card and integrate with CompanionTX
Sticks and pots can be calibrated by the end user.

Mine came with the SD installed and voices and images already saved so you can get started with no wait or need to hook to a comp first. I love mine!

Well...that answers it for me. This sounds like a clear winner. Thanks everyone for the great info.

bprodgers21

I've had decent luck with the 9XR + Orange OpenLRS (3km so far). This is a good setup for the price, but if given the choice again I would go with what others have said - the Taranis. I also suspect that the Hawkeye or DTF OpenLRS systems are worth the extra cost over the Orange OpenLRS system.

Tips for success with the Orange OpenLRS (probably applicable to other OpenLRS systems):
Use a dipole or Diamond SRH771 on the Tx
Use a dipole on the Rx (monopoles gave me issues on my quad)
Turn off telemetry if you're going beyond 1km - use Lbeep or RSSI out instead. This increased my usable range significantly.

Last edited: