Achievement Unlocked - Used Radian

Andre, do you still fly the UMX Radian sometimes?
I was really amazed today by what abuse this little plane can handle. It was a beautiful sunny day and I had the really dumb idea to fly over my allotment garden. Of course this meant I also flew above the other gardens too, but with a plane so light I felt nearly comfortable doing so. Not much damage to be done. I flew a couple of rounds, then a breeze kicked in and I somehow guessed the distance wrong, and there she was, sitting in a tree about 15 meters heigh. It caused some cheers from the other gardeners, so I waited a bit with the rescue mission. I was able to bind together 5x 3m poles normally used for beans and finally reached the plane. After a couple of tries it finally crashed down. No puffed battery, only a small dent in one wing, otherwise no damage at all! It seems so fragile in your hands but it actually can take a lot!
I attached a photo of the brave lil radian. :)
image.jpeg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oh yeah do enjoy the UMX Radian but the 1S don't play well with the cold of winter. ;(

So it will come out soon.

DharanFlyer

Just picked up a Radian today after the solid reviews from the whole AfterHour reviews and it sounds like a blast in the relaxing sort of way.

Going to work on set up tomorrow but curious if anyone has recommendation on what battery they run? I have 2200 and 1300 already which Horizon lists as bottom/top of range. Also, my connectors are XT30 and XT60 versus the #3 in the Radian. I was thinking just a converter and not rewiring the Radian.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I swapped out the EC3 connector for a XT60 on my setup.
Running Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 3S 25~50C packs.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
As much of a pain as it may be to switch connectors on your ESC to match your batteries, with a soaring plane, I think it might be less critical especially if you only use the motor to get up to altitude.

Using adapters entails adding more resistance and points of failure to the system, but so does a bad solder joint!

I do both. Replace connectors and use adapters. Enjoy the soaring!

DharanFlyer

As much of a pain as it may be to switch connectors on your ESC to match your batteries, with a soaring plane, I think it might be less critical especially if you only use the motor to get up to altitude.

Using adapters entails adding more resistance and points of failure to the system, but so does a bad solder joint!

I do both. Replace connectors and use adapters. Enjoy the soaring!

Think I will go with replacing the connector in the Radian then. Just one less piece to keep track of. Thanks! Will get some pictures up when I get first flight in.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Just picked up a Radian today after the solid reviews from the whole AfterHour reviews and it sounds like a blast in the relaxing sort of way.

Going to work on set up tomorrow but curious if anyone has recommendation on what battery they run? I have 2200 and 1300 already which Horizon lists as bottom/top of range. Also, my connectors are XT30 and XT60 versus the #3 in the Radian. I was thinking just a converter and not rewiring the Radian.

Any thoughts appreciated.

With little effort you should be able to push a female EC3 and a male XT60 together. The construction of the XT60 female however doesn't allow the same type of mix. In other words if you have a Lipo with EC3 you should be able to connect it to an ESC with an XT60.

I used to be a big fan of EC3's. I still am. But the batteries I buy most often come with XT60's on them so I've switched over.

Hobby King also sells adapters that convert to other connector types. I bought some to have on hand though I haven't needed to use them.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Think I will go with replacing the connector in the Radian then. Just one less piece to keep track of. Thanks! Will get some pictures up when I get first flight in.

Good decision. That actually reminds me, in the cases where I haven't switched connectors, I have found myself at the field without the adapter, with a plane that doesn't get flown as a result.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
As a UMX Radian owner I got a taste of the glider side that was much more pleasant than anticipated similar to the exhilaration of sailing ina harnessing the wind sort of way.

To kick it up a notch I've been debating what to get and last night put a Zephyr on order. The glider style, plus v-tail, and edf were all things I wanted to explore.

Andrè, how do you like that Run Cam 2. I saw them as I was making sure I was done shopping and noticed the wifi capable ones.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
As a UMX Radian owner I got a taste of the glider side that was much more pleasant than anticipated similar to the exhilaration of sailing ina harnessing the wind sort of way.

To kick it up a notch I've been debating what to get and last night put a Zephyr on order. The glider style, plus v-tail, and edf were all things I wanted to explore.

Andrè, how do you like that Run Cam 2. I saw them as I was making sure I was done shopping and noticed the wifi capable ones.

Very happy with the camera.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-Camera-from-GearBest-com&p=276955#post276955

DharanFlyer

20160412_071724.jpg

In the box waiting to get worked on. Son waiting to see it fly... or grab it off the table when I am not looking.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Good stuff. I think mine will be out with me this weekend but I hate nothing more then rushing a good Radian flight.

DharanFlyer

Got the mainden in but she is pretry nose heavy. Anyone else have that and how dis you add tail weight. Battery is as far back as I could get it.

DharanFlyer

The 1300 sold by FT. I had the front of the battery even with the front of the plastic mount with the velcro. Balancing at 2 1/2 back from leading edge has a severe forward balance. No so much that it falls off my fingers, but close. Have the new version with the screws if that makes a difference.