Adventuring into my first MS design. BF-109 G2.

JakeTheSloth

I bought it 10 years ago and still use it.The screws must be balanced. I balance all the screws that I receive by parcel from China and put them in a box. !For 0 years, my models do not growl in flight and the motor frame does not come off.
In my case I'm pretty sure one of the blades got bent when the plane was resting on its nose (I completely ran out of space to store them haha). Just got to bend it back and it'll be fine. Besides, if the spinner is vibrating you can't use this device to balance it. It's a pretty useful piece of equipment though

mastermalpass

Elite member
I bought it 10 years ago and still use it.The screws must be balanced. I balance all the screws that I receive by parcel from China and put them in a box. !For 0 years, my models do not growl in flight and the motor frame does not come off.

I got a prop balancer a bit like that one. A much appreciated piece of kit as it does show you how sensitive the balance can be. I often have the extra challenge as I’m a fan of using 3-blade and 4-blade props.

I have considered making a ‘noise maker’ where a tiny piece of thin flexible plastic pokes out into the prop’s spin area so the prop constantly strikes it. That piece of plastic is then firmly attached to a long tube to give the sound some depth. Not sure how I would isolate the noise maker’s vibrations from the rest of the airframe though. Don’t think I can build a plane big enough to suspend a big tube inside and still have room for all the electronics.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I got a prop balancer a bit like that one. A much appreciated piece of kit as it does show you how sensitive the balance can be. I often have the extra challenge as I’m a fan of using 3-blade and 4-blade props.

I have considered making a ‘noise maker’ where a tiny piece of thin flexible plastic pokes out into the prop’s spin area so the prop constantly strikes it. That piece of plastic is then firmly attached to a long tube to give the sound some depth. Not sure how I would isolate the noise maker’s vibrations from the rest of the airframe though. Don’t think I can build a plane big enough to suspend a big tube inside and still have room for all the electronics.
Do you ever run into issues with your bellylanders when you use 3 & 4 bladed props? Like scraping the ground and tearing up the motor mount?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Do you ever run into issues with your bellylanders when you use 3 & 4 bladed props? Like scraping the ground and tearing up the motor mount?

My Mini Scout and BipePipePro were liable to break their props if the landing gear came off and those only used 2-blade props. But, with the props being at the front, without the landing gear, they’re unprotected.

The planes I have that are designed to belly land though? Never. The RCPowers designs usually have engine nacelles reaching low enough for the prop to clip the ground at worst, having so little available for the ground to grip, they never break.

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

When I designed the HalfPipe, if the curving of the HalfPipe ‘nacelle’ is done right, the prop is completely out of reach of the ground. If a belly lander doesn’t have a belly that protects the prop then I say you at least wanna have a ‘zip tie landing gear’ to give it some space. I doubt zip ties induce much drag and they’re not very visible from the ground.

Shurik-1960

I used to apply glue points to the screw when balancing, but 10 years ago my friend from Germany (came to visit in the summer to fly and relax) showed how with a stationery knife you can easily balance even propellers with three blades by grinding off a thin layer of plastic from the propeller with a knight's knife.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
My Mini Scout and BipePipePro were liable to break their props if the landing gear came off and those only used 2-blade props. But, with the props being at the front, without the landing gear, they’re unprotected.

The planes I have that are designed to belly land though? Never. The RCPowers designs usually have engine nacelles reaching low enough for the prop to clip the ground at worst, having so little available for the ground to grip, they never break.

View attachment 242661
View attachment 242662

When I designed the HalfPipe, if the curving of the HalfPipe ‘nacelle’ is done right, the prop is completely out of reach of the ground. If a belly lander doesn’t have a belly that protects the prop then I say you at least wanna have a ‘zip tie landing gear’ to give it some space. I doubt zip ties induce much drag and they’re not very visible from the ground.

What a great idea with the zip ties! I might have to put them on my 13th Squadron Betty that has 3 bladed props (and are always catching on the ground). Thanks!