Andre Gets A Taranis.

Things I would recommend doing sooner rather than later:

- Upgrade the firmware to the latest 2.0 release (as of this writing 2.0.17). This puts you on the same version that most power users are running so it helps when asking for help. Also, there's a nasty bug in all versions of OpenTX earlier than 2.0.13 which can cause all sorts of problems.
- Install the "Amber Sound Pack" - much better voice prompts than the ones that come with the transmitter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2151914
- Check out OpenTX University to learn how to program the transmitter.
- Check out Scott Page's videos on Taranis: https://www.youtube.com/user/PagesFlyingCircus/videos

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah I don't need the volume cranked so that is a nice ideas but 90% of the guys at the field have talking radios now.

I could just make my alarms sound like my iPhone and really mess with everyone.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Spent the weekend slowly moving planes over.

Getting used to the various commands and requirements.

Doing a lot of initial testing to establish good baseline planes.

Real fun part is digging out all the receivers to rebind them :)

Just heard your comments on the After Hours podcast, and I have a couple of comments:

- The Taranis stores your models in internal memory and has 60 model slots. You can if necessary save a model to the SD card and load another model from the SD card into the slot that was occupied by the saved model, but it's more work than simply selecting a model slot from the menu.
- Two of the switches on the Taranis are two-position: the momentary switch and the switch in the same position as the momentary on the other side. All others are three.
- With the internal module you can get 16 channels in two ways: binding two X8R receivers, one for the low channels and one for the high, or using a single X4R-SB, X6R or X8R receiver with SBus decoders, SBus servos or a flight controller board that supports SBus input. Using both the internal and external module you get up to 32 channels.

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
2 receivers showed up last night ;)

Now I'll have to decide which planes I want them in ;)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
The FRSKY Invasion Has Begun

IMG_4474.JPG IMG_4475.JPG

As mentioned the 2 new FRSKY receivers arrived this week.

FrSky D8R-II PLUS 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver with Telemetery
FrSky X8R 8/16Ch S.BUS ACCST Telemetry Receiver W/Smart Port

And I picked up from the gentleman who sold me the radio 2

FrSky Variometer Sensor w/Smart Port (Normal Precision Version)
FrSky Variometer Sensor w/Smart Port (High Precision Version)

I've ordered a FrSky X4RSB 3/16 Channel Telemetry Receiver as well for the Radian.

The high precision variometer will live in the Radian and if I ever get a DLG the normal sensor can go there.
For now maybe it will be fitted to the SkyMule or rework the Bixler.

HawkMan

Is there any reason except for price to get the D8R over the X8R ?

I know the D4R is preferable over the X4R for Naze based FC's because of the sbus/ppm thing, unless you like to solder small('m not sure my x4r that I tried to solder hack really works anymore :p)

The X8R comes with the big 'paddle' antennas as opposed to the 'whisker' antennas the D8R comes for. That can make it difficult to install if there's not much space in your aircraft. You can easily replace the 'paddle' antennas with 'whisker' antennas, but it's an extra cost to buy the replacements.

Pancho

I'm interested in getting a Taranis. I thought my next radio was going to be a DX6. But after reading the different threads, I think I want the Taranis. I know, they are not even comparable, except on price. My planes are a couple park flyers, and DTFB Flight test designs. I don't have anything yet that requires more than 6 channels. The biggest plane I have is a Dynam Smart Trainer. It looks like I can get the orangeRX module and still get the cheap rx's for the small planes, and then have the FrSky module for longer range and increased channel requirement and telemetry?

Do they make a tx module for the HK/FlySky rx's? That would make things really easy(cheap) if I could keep using the HK rx's. I've got quite a few.

ZoomNBoom

Analog telemetry. If you want to use the FBVS-01 (or some other voltage divider), because they are tiny (and dirt cheap), you cant do it with the X8R. The X6R does have an analog telemetry port, but then you lose 2 channels.

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
i have a V8R-7 telemetry is for beginners :p The plane lands itself when the batterie is empty... :D :D :D