Are People intrested in sub 250g planes and if so what type(s) of sub 250g plans are people intrested in?

What is the intrest level in sub 250g designs?

• Total voters

cyclone3350

Master member
I used to make my own UMX size. I had to stop once depron became impossible to find. There R a couple of indoor places to fly in my area. When someone wrecks an E-flite, I usually will offer $30 or so for the electronics. I do not know why, but an E-flite UMX board is $60 and any additional servo is $17 plus the motor and gearbox which makes buying new cost prohibitive. If anyone knows of a substitute, please post here. These R a few examples of what I have built. The DC-3 is a little over 3oz AUW and the orange and white Dwarf is .75 oz AUW.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    941.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I used to make my own UMX size. I had to stop once depron became impossible to find. There R a couple of indoor places to fly in my area. When someone wrecks an E-flite, I usually will offer $30 or so for the electronics. I do not know why, but an E-flite UMX board is $60 and any additional servo is $17 plus the motor and gearbox which makes buying new cost prohibitive. If anyone knows of a substitute, please post here. These R a few examples of what I have built. The DC-3 is a little over 3oz AUW and the orange and white Dwarf is .75 oz AUW.

WOW! That SPAD is nice!!

(y)

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I am building planes of this style. I need to order electronics and test them but electronics for a basic 3ch plane should come in under $40.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
do you have a YouTube channel @JasonK ? since you are connected to FT, perhaps they can work with you and make a special edition video about DiY sub 250g aircraft?

I don't have any connections with FT. Nor do I have the time to be a content creator.

Marzipan

I don't have any connections with FT. Nor do I have the time to be a content creator.
my Bad...I thought you said something about administration when I commented on how you're on top of so many questions and new posts. :)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Can we take the talk about foamboardflyer's plane to a separate thread? at this point it has gone _way_ off topic from the thread topic. Thanks!

Motobiman

Can we take the talk about foamboardflyer's plane to a separate thread? at this point it has gone _way_ off topic from the thread topic. Thanks!
Hiya
I have built a few of your design, thanks for the free plans.
Using the foamboard I can buy here in the UK getting down to 250g with your twin boom model (and any other design big enough for outdoor flying and old eyes) is very difficult especially on 3 cells and getting the balance on 2 cells without a ton of nose weight seems almost impossible.
A lighter tail and booms, elevons and just 2 x 3.7gr servos might do it.