Beginner fpv gear

Hutch Bunch Rc

I am thinking about getting into fpv for planes, I’ve been flying Rc for around 5 years now. I’ve been experimenting with the versa wing for awhile, I’ve done a edf version, twin tractor version, and a twin push pull version. For fpv gear I’m thinking about the Eachine EV800D goggles, they seem great for $100 and I’ve seen good reviews. For a camera I want to run a run cam Phoenix 2. Now I’m not sure what vtx to use, I’m still pretty much a beginner with fpv, so with this setup what would you use? Is there anything else I need to know/buy? Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Think about the voltages available on your plane. Life will be much easier if you can minimize the voltages your equipment requires. On my system, everything airborne runs on 12v. I just tap the balance plug on my 3S flight pack to power everything.

I have found I can’t use goggles, my eyes just won’t focus on anything that close to my face.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Think about the voltages available on your plane. Life will be much easier if you can minimize the voltages your equipment requires. On my system, everything airborne runs on 12v. I just tap the balance plug on my 3S flight pack to power everything.

I have found I can’t use goggles, my eyes just won’t focus on anything that close to my face.
The goggles I’m looking at have a feature that you can take the front screen portion apart from the headset and you can use it as a 5” monitor, good deal for $99, and that’s that I wanted to do to power the fpv gear, use a balance plug from a 3s. What does the power go to? The vtx only, the camera? I’m new lol.

Corsair714

The goggles I’m looking at have a feature that you can take the front screen portion apart from the headset and you can use it as a 5” monitor, good deal for $99, and that’s that I wanted to do to power the fpv gear, use a balance plug from a 3s. What does the power go to? The vtx only, the camera? I’m new lol.
It looks like you are 14 according to your profile atleast so I would think you wouldn't have difficulty focusing on something that close to your face. Typically younger people can focus on close things quite well. I've heard a lot of good things about those goggles so I'd say the ev800s would be a great choice. The camera is also a very good camera as far as a vtx I think this vtx would work well. Vtx link. I've heard good things about it as well, but I can not vouch for it from personal experience. I have never actually used it. You will also need an antenna for your vtx. Antenna link. Pro tip never plug in your vtx without the antenna on it. If you forget to put on the antenna you'll fry the vtx.

Hutch Bunch Rc

It looks like you are 14 according to your profile atleast so I would think you wouldn't have difficulty focusing on something that close to your face. Typically younger people can focus on close things quite well. I've heard a lot of good things about those goggles so I'd say the ev800s would be a great choice. The camera is also a very good camera as far as a vtx I think this vtx would work well. Vtx link. I've heard good things about it as well, but I can not vouch for it from personal experience. I have never actually used it. You will also need an antenna for your vtx. Antenna link. Pro tip never plug in your vtx without the antenna on it. If you forget to put on the antenna you'll fry the vtx.
I should be able to use the goggles just fine hopefully, also the goggles have dvr and true diversity so that’s cool, thanks for the vtx and antenna links.

Hutch Bunch Rc

The antennas you linked arnt clover style, wouldn’t I want something like that? What type are the ones you linked? What are pros and cons for the different types of antennas? Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What does the power go to? The vtx only, the camera? I’m new lol.
Both the camera & vTx will need power. It’s just more convenient if both are happy on the same voltage.

Recording video on the ground is useful to recover your plane in the event on a mechanical failure. An arrow pointing home is also useful. I live in corn country, it easy to get lost & not know which way is home, in an ocean of corn
Like this

Last edited:

Corsair714

The antennas you linked arnt clover style, wouldn’t I want something like that? What type are the ones you linked? What are pros and cons for the different types of antennas? Thanks
In short though. Padgoda antennas are very similar to clover antennas. They're just cheaper.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Both the camera & vTx will need power. It’s just more convenient if both are happy on the same voltage.

Recording video on the ground is useful to recover your plane in the event on a mechanical failure. An arrow pointing home is also useful. I live in corn country, it easy to get lost & not know which way is home, in an ocean of corn
Like this
The goggles I have have dvr, so I can play back the footage

Hoomi

Master member
I picked up the Wolfwhoop WT03 camera/TX, and BetaFPV VR01 goggles off Amazon. With a 3 pack of 32Gb micro SD cards (the goggles include the DVR, but it's not necessary for using the goggles), I spent under $100. I decided to try a pair of aftermarket antennas on the goggles after a few flights. This video shows the reception I'm getting with both sets of antennas for comparison, but also gives a good idea of the performance of the combo.

Corsair714

I picked up the Wolfwhoop WT03 camera/TX, and BetaFPV VR01 goggles off Amazon. With a 3 pack of 32Gb micro SD cards (the goggles include the DVR, but it's not necessary for using the goggles), I spent under $100. I decided to try a pair of aftermarket antennas on the goggles after a few flights. This video shows the reception I'm getting with both sets of antennas for comparison, but also gives a good idea of the performance of the combo.

I would not suggest getting the vr01 goggles. They have a slight delay and it makes it really hard to fly.

Hoomi

Master member
I haven't had any latency issues with mine so far. I wonder if that was a problem with earlier production runs of the VR01, that BetaFPV dealt with in more recent production runs?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am thinking about getting into fpv for planes, I’ve been flying Rc for around 5 years now. I’ve been experimenting with the versa wing for awhile, I’ve done a edf version, twin tractor version, and a twin push pull version. For fpv gear I’m thinking about the Eachine EV800D goggles, they seem great for $100 and I’ve seen good reviews. For a camera I want to run a run cam Phoenix 2. Now I’m not sure what vtx to use, I’m still pretty much a beginner with fpv, so with this setup what would you use? Is there anything else I need to know/buy? Thanks

Pair that Pheonix 2 with an ATX03 VTX and and a matched pair of Axii antenna and you will have a rock solid and superior setup over any AIO available the Atx03 is a small but reliable budget VTX and the Axii antennas are in my opinion the best bang for the buck antenna available. they are well made tuned very well for the band and more durable then any other antenna I have ever tested or used in over 6 years of flying FPV.

Hutch Bunch Rc

Pair that Pheonix 2 with an ATX03 VTX and and a matched pair of Axii antenna and you will have a rock solid and superior setup over any AIO available the Atx03 is a small but reliable budget VTX and the Axii antennas are in my opinion the best bang for the buck antenna available. they are well made tuned very well for the band and more durable then any other antenna I have ever tested or used in over 6 years of flying FPV.
Can you link the vtx and antenna your talking about?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Out of curiosity, have you tried the TBS cloverleaf antennas? Curious as to how those Axii antennae stack up. I've been running the TBS for over a year and a half, maybe 2 years now, and I like the reception; I think the Axii came out after I bought into the TBS ones so I haven't looked at them.