Bush Plane Build Challenge II

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Join me in trying to build the best FT style bush plane!

The contest will consist of 3 challenges:

1.) PAYLOAD
A good bush plane must have a useful payload when hauling supplies into remote areas. Contestants will compete to see who's design has the highest payload-to-weight ratio. The aircraft must have a proven flight before the weight is added to count as the "official weigh in" before adding the "payload" weight. To attempt this challenge the competitor must first weigh his craft in full flying trim and then add as much weight as he can to the plane and still complete an un assisted take off, make a turn, and land again in the same area.

2.)Durability
Any back country plane must be durable and the pilot skilled. For this challenge each contestant must attempt the most take offs and landings he can without having to touch the plane. The pilot will do as many circuits as he can before he crashes, the plane is damaged, or the battery depletes. Pilot must land, then execute at least a 180 degree turn, then take off. If you have calm enough weather to take off in the opposite direction you landed, fine. If you have a bit of a breeze, a full 360 may be required. Dealer choice.

3.)STOL exhibition
The STOL ability of both pilot and machine are critical for a successful back country mission. In this challenge the pilot must find the most creative and challenging place to land and take off again. The twist here will be that the winner will be determined by vote from the pilots and the audience. Because this event is judged it would behoove the pilot to push his skills and the design of his machine to the limit. Even a spectacular fail, if entertaining enough, could win the crowds favor.

Rules:
  • - Each pilot is to post a short video of his craft completing each challenge to be considered for the competition.
  • -Any FT style home built fixed wing aircraft is welcome and individual threads of the build process are encouraged but not required. The craft can also be one that has been previously constructed, does not need to be built solely for this challenge. No size limits, no motor restrictions.
  • Batteries and props may be changed for different stages but the airframe must remain the same (repairs are allowed)
  • Contestants can build and enter multiple planes
  • Have Fun!
The winner will get to select a prize from the flite test store, either A flight test power pack, 50 pack of foam board, or a ProTek 620ez balance charger.

If anyone else has any goodies they would like to donate as 2nd or 3rd place prizes just let me know.

The challenge will conclude at midnight, Sunday July 25th!
Judging will be held for 72hrs upon conclusion of the contest.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member

Taildragger

Legendary member
I'm either doing a PA-18 Super Cub
1615697204769.png

Or a DHC2 Beaver.
1615697366693.png

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Welcome aboard!

I think I got everyone on there. I'll try to keep it updated, let me know if I've missed anything.

Excited to see what sort of craft we come up with this time! I'll be running scrappy for sure, V1 didn't really come together the way I wanted so it got put on the back burner, been needing an excuse to get it finished! Thinking I might also go with a micro Twin Otter... we'll see!