Bush plane build challenge

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, I've had several, the stock gear are terrible. Ive just belly landed all mine! Lol. It would be easy to design a pretty good set of gear for it id think...

It was actually going to be "work" related so i was going a bit more permanent than foam board. A bit of long range aerial survailance... but the world kinda fell apart this summer so that has all been put on hold so i figured i could have a little fun with the parts in the mean time 😋
Sooo… as in usual fashion its a surprise

Flyingshark

Master member
Started building my second entry today! :) It's going to be simpler than the Bush Hornet, so hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

@Hondo76251 -
Would you mind adding this (an "experimental pusher") to the list of machines?

CorsaiRC

I painted the mini guinea and the maker foam has already started to delaminate and half the wing is sagging I'm worried I won't be able to take it up again.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I was gonna start designing lg for my plane, but before that I wanna know... How much prop clearance do you guys have? if I want to make my plane look fairly normal I can get about 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance (maybe a bit more). I dunno if that is enough, so I wanted to check with everybody here really quick.

Timmy

Legendary member
I was gonna start designing lg for my plane, but before that I wanna know... How much prop clearance do you guys have? if I want to make my plane look fairly normal I can get about 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance (maybe a bit more). I dunno if that is enough, so I wanted to check with everybody here really quick.
about an inch :LOL:
the one.png

ok so its around 4 cm, so more like an inch an a half.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
about an inch :LOL:
Ok then. I kinda thought that I would get enough. Now I'm planning to lower my plane a bit because it can reduce weight, drag, and make the plane look better... Also the plane is still gonna look odd since I am using 3.5 to 4 inch wheels...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You gotta remember too is that as the plane rotates forward the prop comes closer to the ground. I would measure for what you need for the size of prop you are going to use. A good rule of thumb is 20-25% of your wingspan should be prop for a good STOL plane, more to the 25%. Then you need to consider the terrain you are taking off and landing from, is it grass or a paved parking lot? How good of a pilot are you at take offs and landings? Would you tend to nose over a lot? How many props do you have on hand to replace your broken ones?

For me cuz its a bush plane, just for authenticity I would like to get as much clearance as possible and still be functional. That being said, I am no expert at take offs and landings, busted many props attempting both, and tend to take off from grass. That means I would be looking for a couple of inches of prop clearance as the plane sits level.

But that's just me

Timmy

Legendary member
You gotta remember too is that as the plane rotates forward the prop comes closer to the ground. I would measure for what you need for the size of prop you are going to use. A good rule of thumb is 20-25% of your wingspan should be prop for a good STOL plane, more to the 25%. Then you need to consider the terrain you are taking off and landing from, is it grass or a paved parking lot? How good of a pilot are you at take offs and landings? Would you tend to nose over a lot? How many props do you have on hand to replace your broken ones?

For me cuz its a bush plane, just for authenticity I would like to get as much clearance as possible and still be functional. That being said, I am no expert at take offs and landings, busted many props attempting both, and tend to take off from grass. That means I would be looking for a couple of inches of prop clearance as the plane sits level.

But that's just me
I get a clearance of ~1.1 cm when the plane rotates:LOL:. I think this will be enough for the terrain I'm using as a runway. I will be using a folding prop so I don't break as many regular props. And my prop is 25% of my wing span, my fuse is just relatively small. I could always get bigger wheels or ajust the landing gear if I have prop strikes.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

But that's just me
When I said 2 inches of clearance I meant when the plane is level, so I should have enough. Also, to have the prop be 20-25% of my wingspan I would need a prop around 12 inches, but I'm running a C pack and only have 10 inch props, so I think that I will try to make that work.