Bush plane build challenge

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
When I said 2 inches of clearance I meant when the plane is level, so I should have enough. Also, to have the prop be 20-25% of my wingspan I would need a prop around 12 inches, but I'm running a C pack and only have 10 inch props, so I think that I will try to make that work.
You can get away with an 11 inch prop on the old C pack as long as you don't keep it at WOT the whole time. Don't do a 12 inch though lol.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
You can get away with an 11 inch prop on the old C pack as long as you don't keep it at WOT the whole time. Don't do a 12 inch though lol.
Im running a beefy 11 45 on my current bushwacker with no problem but im running 3s and 90% of the time im under 1/3 throttle... ymmv
Keeping the throttle low might be an issue lol. I will start with a 10 inch (that's all I have) and if I feel like more prop would really help then I will go up to an 11x4.5. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, when going up in prop size do you think that the esc is the limiting factor or the motor? I have an old c pack motor and esc, but I also have a 50 amp esc (I already found a home for this but I can put that project on hold to finish this first) that I could use with a larger prop if the esc is the limiter.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Keeping the throttle low might be an issue lol. I will start with a 10 inch (that's all I have) and if I feel like more prop would really help then I will go up to an 11x4.5. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, when going up in prop size do you think that the esc is the limiting factor or the motor? I have an old c pack motor and esc, but I also have a 50 amp esc (I already found a home for this but I can put that project on hold to finish this first) that I could use with a larger prop if the esc is the limiter.
Well it kinda depends. For changing prop size you probably won't have to worry about the ESC unless you're already on the verge of what the motor is drawing for amps, but we usually give ourselves enough cushion that it won't be a problem. I believe on 3s and a 10 inch prop the old C pack draws under 20 amps but we all use at least 30 amp esc's with it lol.

Theuglycamel

Weather's been miserable the last week and I got some rebuilding done. My shelf of shame is finally loosing foam instead of collecting it. (Especially proud of the FT AR Wing, I'll post elsewhere). I'm going to have to rebuild the bottom of the fuse of the BUS. As I feared, my landing gear rely on a lot of connection stress. It's back together now but I don't give it more than 3 landings before she's back in the shop. I'll take that time to get some bush wheels made up as well. They should look cool with this black foam I'm using...
IMG_20201021_181804.jpg
IMG_20201021_182303.jpg
IMG_20201021_182146.jpg
IMG_20201021_182049.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My plywood has arrived! I finished homework today so I plan to start working. Over the past few weeks I have gotten a drill and vise to do this (and other stuff that I couldn't do before) and it feels nice because I think of a project and I'm like "I can't do that... It would be way too hard without a drill, and what would I use to hold the part?" Then I remember that I do have a drill and vise... Sorry for the short rambling session lol. It just feels nice to be able to build all of the stuff that I think of.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My plywood has arrived! I finished homework today so I plan to start working. Over the past few weeks I have gotten a drill and vise to do this (and other stuff that I couldn't do before) and it feels nice because I think of a project and I'm like "I can't do that... It would be way too hard without a drill, and what would I use to hold the part?" Then I remember that I do have a drill and vise... Sorry for the short rambling session lol. It just feels nice to be able to build all of the stuff that I think of.
That's awesome!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This is a Bushwacker with an 11 in prop with the landing gear dialed in. I had the gear about 1" farther back, same length, and i had numerous prop strikes.

Id never go less than *this* much clearance on a tail dragger... if thats scientific enough for you.
20201021_203043.jpg

mdcerdan

Elite member
Maiden today, well sort of...

First flight ended in crash and broke the first of 4 props, terribly tail heavy and almost no control. Changed propeller and moved the wing as back as it goes. Better but not pretty, wind started to pick up. Broke the second prop, this thing stalls so bad.:mad:

Kept crashing trying to land slow as I do with my bigger planes, two more props to the trash bin. Took the knife and carved the fuselage so I could move the battery forward. Much better now :)

By the second battery I realized that I have to fly this thing much faster. And finally the motor firewall fell apart while taxiing. Boy worst maiden of my life!

This is no bush plane!

Things to do:

1- Find another location, my field is so wild I can not turn around without catching some rock, root or hole.
2- Add flaperons to slow down.
3- Move landing gear forward to avoid tipping over.
4- Get more practice!

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Give me a min, editing this between a laptop, camera, and a phone:

For the new flite test C packs, at 4s, I think the 35a ESC is the limiter, on the older ones its hard to tell...

For me personally, I think there is a very big link missing in "prop" stats, and that is the chord of the blade.
When I say i'm running a "beefy" 11x45 what I mean is that I have a lot of "Chord" to my prop. This prop has an insane amount of low end torque and after playing with it some I can say that it is VERY durable and I would recommend it highly: Master Airscrew

this is a typical 10x45 vs my 11x45 vs my new 3 blade for comparision:

20201021_204722.jpg

This is also why I'm thinking that it will work well on a monster motor when it has 3 blades. That is a lot of surface area spinning to force air in the desired direction... especially at that kind of pitch.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This is no bush plane!

I built the idea of this contest as a "bush plane" not a STOL challenge... none of the challenges actually require low and slow, they require controllability and durability... just because you have to land a bit faster doesn't mean its not a "bush plane" ;)

Things to do:

1- Find another location, my field is so wild I can not turn around without catching some rock, root or hole.
4- Get more practice!

1- I have no where to fly that I won't have at least a chance of a 5" rock or hole. My solution is bigger wheels!
2- Flaps/Flapperons are going to be a must in this competition I think...
3- I've had to have several versions of gear for this build so far. The dynamics of the gear are much more detailed that one might think...
4- I'm over 500 landings on this challenge alone and I'm still only getting a "perfect" landing 60% of the time in ideal conditions... We can all use practice! LOL

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This little bit of humorous wisdom...
20201021_215947.jpg
(owed to my late uncle) his old vice, and my dremel are my only specialty tools on any of my builds so far 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maiden today, well sort of...

First flight ended in crash and broke the first of 4 props, terribly tail heavy and almost no control. Changed propeller and moved the wing as back as it goes. Better but not pretty, wind started to pick up. Broke the second prop, this thing stalls so bad.:mad:

Kept crashing trying to land slow as I do with my bigger planes, two more props to the trash bin. Took the knife and carved the fuselage so I could move the battery forward. Much better now :)

By the second battery I realized that I have to fly this thing much faster. And finally the motor firewall fell apart while taxiing. Boy worst maiden of my life!

This is no bush plane!

Things to do:

4- Get more practice!

Sometimes they are a humbling experience, swinging with a slap of reality

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I tried to use gorilla glue to glue in a piece of wood, but even after checking to make sure it was aligned and even though it was weighted down, the wood managed to slide about 5mm before the glue set. To pull off the wood I had to rip up the bottom of my fuse piece, so now I'm waiting for the new piece that I put in as a replacement to set (this time I used gorilla glue but I used some hot glue to stop it from sliding, still weighed down though). I plan to use the same technique when I glue in the wood for the second time. I will put some gorilla glue on it, then I add some hot glue before putting the part on. Hold it down until the hot glue dries and then I can put a weight on the part and leave it for an hour or so.

Edit: I just glued in the wood for the second time. This time I made sure that it could not move. I am gonna leave it under the weight overnight and then come back tomorrow to continue the fuse.

Last edited: