Bush plane build challenge

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I might be going to a modified Seaduck... I have some plans to lighten the duck up and get some more efficiency out of it, we will see
I really considered the sea duck, havent ruled it out myself TBH (considering that the snow is still falling here)

My "smart duck" is a stock airframe with no attempts made at at being lighter running twin c packs with 10 5 props and it has no problem flying with a gross weight well over 5 lbs. The sea duck could be a serious contender.

Based on my recent experience with my sea duck My 120% bushwacker "scrappy" should be just a little more wing area than the sea duck and if built correctly should be around 3 lbs . Even if i run a stupid prop on the monster motor i should be able to match the thrust of twin c packs and easily get to 6lbs gross in the payload challenge, hopefully more.

Thats where the high pitch prop comes in. While my current bushwacker is taking the light and slow approach, Scrappy is probably not going to be able to float in at walking speed (also why ive got the rc car esc, might need a little reverse pitch ;) )

Of course, i haven't seen any twin otters in the mix yet... i only have this monster motort because its for another future project, maybe there could be a twin otter down the road
20201020_005653.jpg

tesseract

Master member
That sounds like the next FT project:)
Mabye a giant edf with 3d printed blades, that sits in the middle of the outhouse?? like a monstermotor that has the blades, and is surrounded by a tube of foam! Then slap some flugtag wings and fly :) like the saab tunnan! :cautious: :unsure: :whistle: :rolleyes: :oops: :eek: :D :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I see the gears are turning, all these options getting into the brain box muddies the waters. I was just getting used to the Scrappy idea and now your pulling out these twin considerations...

Yea I have some ideas to mod up the SeaDuck some, which I may start on today

Haha, i know, i suffer from an excess of ideas and a lack of time and dedication to get them completed! Im sticking with scrappy for sure though. Ive gone far enough down this path i cant turn back now. Besides, i love the insanity of it!

The twin monsters were for another project that didnt get done this last summer, after this competition ill revisit that build. I always seem to do more flying and building in the winter when things arent so busy...

Looking forward to the Duck!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well I started work on a mini cruiser. I'm building it as light as possible so we'll see how it does at bush flying. It'll be one of my entries.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I think I would upgrade the gear a bit
Yeah, I've had several, the stock gear are terrible. Ive just belly landed all mine! Lol. It would be easy to design a pretty good set of gear for it id think...

So am I, and your monster twin as well. What twin are you thinking of going for?
It was actually going to be "work" related so i was going a bit more permanent than foam board. A bit of long range aerial survailance... but the world kinda fell apart this summer so that has all been put on hold so i figured i could have a little fun with the parts in the mean time 😋