Bush plane build challenge

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
@Ketchup hey I just caught your stol vid by accident. Browsing Youtube. Looks great! I think I'm the first viewer. What did I win???
I didn't think that YouTube recommended my stuff ngl. I am happy that they did. So for prizes... I think that a nice thumbs up is in order (y). I would give ya a high five but I can't rn. Also thanks for watching (if you watched).

I didn't think that YouTube recommended my stuff ngl. I am happy that they did. So for prizes... I think that a nice thumbs up is in order (y). I would give ya a high five but I can't rn. Also thanks for watching (if you watched).
Of course I did! Looks great, you're pretty good with that plane man. But I want a better prize. How about an all expenses paid trip to the next Flite Fest.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I just come home from the field. I have to check the video but I put one kilo in the air. When I put some more it did not take off and broke a wheel. I have a lot of videos to edit but I can tell you guys I will not win the challenge but I had a ton of fun.
Also maiden my father's Cub. It is a joy to fly.

A kilo is what, 2.2 Lbs? Thats pretty darn good! You know what your payload ratio came out to be?

mdcerdan

Elite member
A kilo is what, 2.2 Lbs? Thats pretty darn good! You know what your payload ratio came out to be?
That is correct. One kilogram y 2.2lb. I saw the videos, the model without payload is 845g. First load was 1155g so there was 310g in lead. Then the second load was 1728g but I forgot to put the battery so it was 115g more. So It lifted 1843g-845g=998g or 2.18lb. Ratio is 998/845=1.18
Tomorrow I will upload the video.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Double checked my weight when i got back in. She was 4 lbs 10.4oz (2.1 Kg)

20201122_190510.jpg

Payload was right at 3lbs (1347g)
20201122_191147.jpg

My airframe weight was 1lb 10oz (737 grams) when i started. Would've put me at 1:1.8

I hope to make repairs and not add too much weight. I know i can get in the air with this payload, i just ran out of runway! Lol

Hopefully i get a chance again tomorrow...

"We have the technology, we can rebuild him"
20201122_191304.jpg

(And if you know that line i know how old you are 😉)

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Double checked my weight when i got back in. She was 4 lbs 10.4oz (2.1 Kg)

View attachment 183977

My airframe weight was 1lb 10oz (737 grams) when i started. Would've put me at 1:2.8

Payload was right at 3lbs (1347g)
View attachment 183978

I hope to make repairs and not add too much weight. I know i can get in the air with this payload, i just ran out of runway! Lol

Hopefully i get a chance again tomorrow...

"We have the technology, we can rebuild him"
View attachment 183979
(And if you know that line i know how old you are 😉)
Wait a minute. When I calculate my payload ratio, do I include the airplane weight in both measurements? Basically is it:
weight added/plane auw
or is it
final plane weight (weight added + auw)/plane auw?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
So the way i was figuring it, you take the lightest weight you can fly your plane at. In my case, it was 737 with my 2200 battery. That is the "1" in the ratio. Then you add as much weight as you can. The added weight is the payload. The ratio is (base aircraft weight) : (payload)

Mine was 737:1347 or 1:1.82

I realize i had it at 2.8 in my previous post... i was driving across the pasture at the time, typo. Lol. Ill fix it so its not so confusing 🤪

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Thankfully the power pod was not damaged, that makes repairs easier. I was actually able to get it back together with all the original foam, with the help of some gorilla glue and packing tape of course...
20201122_215043.jpg

Hoping for good weather in the morn!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
4 days to go!

I still haven't dug Scrappy out of the storage shed! I still need wings, wiring, and to finish up the landing gear and suspension... not looking good with how busy ill be this week but we'll see!

ill at least get the videos up of the bushwacker, scrappy might have to be a late entry just for kicks and giggles. Maybe he can compete if we do this again next summer!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Not sure ive heard that one before 🤣🤣

This is a pretty busy time for everyone, thats why im thinking we do it again mid summer sometime. Maybe we can pick a date after we've finish up this one...
Yep, it would be fun to do it again with more people being able to try it. I actually had to cut it really close because of school. At least I got to finish though.