Bush plane build challenge

Double checked my weight when i got back in. She was 4 lbs 10.4oz (2.1 Kg)

View attachment 183977

Payload was right at 3lbs (1347g)
View attachment 183978

My airframe weight was 1lb 10oz (737 grams) when i started. Would've put me at 1:1.8

I hope to make repairs and not add too much weight. I know i can get in the air with this payload, i just ran out of runway! Lol

Hopefully i get a chance again tomorrow...

"We have the technology, we can rebuild him"
View attachment 183979
(And if you know that line i know how old you are 😉)
"...We can make him better. Faster. Stronger."

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Well, the landing was a bit rough, pancaked the gear, but I got her back in mostly one piece!

A little action shot for ya...

Bush Weight Landing.jpg

So the airframe was now 1lb 10.7oz (757 grams)
The all up weight was 4lbs 12oz (2155 grams)
That puts my payload at 3lbs 1.3oz (1398 grams)

Thus, my airframe to payload ratio was 757:1398 -or- 1:1.85

I was hoping for a two to one ratio but I think I'll call her quits there and start working on the exhibition. @Ketchup is going to hard to beat!

Then maybe I can get all this editing done before Thursday...

Phin G

Elite member
Im afraid that ill have to sit this one out as im designing a VTOL search and rescue plane. My geography teacher is part time and she works for dartmoor search and rescue so hopefully i could donate and fly for them. It is going to be a fibreglass areoscout with gimbal camera and fpv. I got my idea from the VTOL FT explorer vid.

mdcerdan

Elite member
@mdcerdan and two turns per flight, even more impressive! I only went for one, just a turn around and come back...

I told you, I am, a glider guy. Once in the air with almost a kilogram between the wheels was something new for me, it took me a couple turns to make an approach.
I did a last flight with 200g more but it did not get off the ground, struck some weed and broke a wheel and collapse the LG. A 5 minute repair and changed the wheels with a spare one.
My motor is not powerful enough neither so 1 Kg is the maximum payload for my plane.

Flyingshark

Master member
Not sure ive heard that one before 🤣🤣

This is a pretty busy time for everyone, thats why im thinking we do it again mid summer sometime. Maybe we can pick a date after we've finish up this one...
If you decide to do if during the summer I'd most likely be able to compete! I've got some planes in mind that'd maybe be cool lol
I would love another competition! I was super close to getting my plane up in time, and I’m bummed I won’t be able to compete.
I'd definitely compete in another bush plane challenge. And maybe for the next one, I can actually build something flyable! :):ROFLMAO:

mdcerdan

Elite member
This is my entry for the durability part of the challenge. I only manage to make 19 good landings and 360 turns (to face the wind) and one good crash landing into the bushes. This is the best I can do, far better than the 5 or 6 landings I use to make without tipping over on landing or turning in the ground.

Anyways, I was runing out of light so I was not going to get much more.

My computer is so old I could not edit the 1.5Gb video to speed up the action so please play the youtube video on 4x speed to not die of boredom.

Tomorrow I will upload the exhibition part.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This is my entry for the durability part of the challenge. I only manage to make 19 good landings and 360 turns (to face the wind) and one good crash landing into the bushes. This is the best I can do, far better than the 5 or 6 landings I use to make without tipping over on landing or turning in the ground.

Anyways, I was runing out of light so I was not going to get much more.

Good Job!

Its harder than it looks for sure, especially with a long legged tail dragger. You need a good runway, good weather, and a fair bit of luck, to say nothing of skill or patience! So often this time of year, the only still weather I get is right before sundown. I had to quit because it got dark a number of times. Of course, right now, that's only about 4:30 :rolleyes:

My computer is so old I could not edit the 1.5Gb video....

I feel that one too...

mdcerdan

Elite member
My prop looks like a lawn mower blade. I had so many prop strikes with this cheap no brand chinese prop and it did not give up. My wheels are also busted by now.
20201124_113908.jpg
20201124_113612.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Im actually surprised at how well these wheels held up:
20201124_082044.jpg

They've survived several hundred landings not to mention a few good crashes.

I was torn between building a stong set of gear or a lightweight set. In my experience, the stonger the gear the more damage they can cause to the airframe. Since the focus of this bushwacker is to be lightweight i went with very light, simple gear with rubber band suspension.

Im still looking forward to finishing Scrappy as that build is focused on strength rather than weight. Im curious as to which will do better in the end because this plane surpassed my expectations...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Yes, you made it!
That was one hot landing pal. Well done!

Ha ha, well thanks...

I actually had enough speed up I was going to go for another circle and line up for a proper landing but I saw that my damaged wingtip didn't look like it was going to hold for another turn so I bailed and went for the high speed downwind landing. I was hoping for something that looked a bit more graceful but as soon as I cut the throttle she went in like a rock! lol Good thing the landing gear were made to break away easily!