Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
View attachment 80045

I understand that, my question is best understood from the side view: Sorry but it's difficult to bring across without a diagram (The propeller being on the left).
I understand that the offset is on purpose, my question is is the shaving off the power pod that Josh speaks about like the red line (the video looks like it is) or a version of the green line?

Not sure where you are getting that from. There is no adjustment of the power pod. No "shaving" whatsoever in the area indicated in your diagram. If it helps, I built mine just like the plans say. Power pod exactly the same.

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Here is my recently finished P-51.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Cookie83610

Is the angle of the power pod specific to a CW or CCW motor ? I've a CCW motor for my brand new mini Corsair, that would be too bad if it's not compatible ...

Thanks !

Last edited:

dgrigor02

3 phase motors you can run them any direction you want self locking nut will solve it. But if you do want to run it opposite then yes you will need to reverse the angle. If you bought the kit you should have enough spare foam to trace out a new pod with the angle reversed.

Cookie83610

To be exact, I've a CCW motor, but I've classic and reverse props (5040x3 and 6040x2, usually used for my FPV Racer), so I have the choice, but what will be the right combination btw props and nuts direction with this thrust angle ?

Sorry for the noobs questions and thanks for your advices !

Gazoo

To be exact, I've a CCW motor, but I've classic and reverse props (5040x3 and 6040x2, usually used for my FPV Racer), so I have the choice, but what will be the right combination btw props and nuts direction with this thrust angle ?

Sorry for the noobs questions and thanks for your advices !

I use both CW and CCW motors on my singe planes. I always use a CCW rotating prop when viewed from the front. If the motor is a CCW, then I just tighten the nut a little more. With the nut tight, I have yet to lose a prop because the nut spun off. You can get a locking (NyLock) nut to fasten the prop on as well.

With a CCW prop, the thrust angle would be correct by default. If you intend to use a prop that rotates CW (reverse) then the thrust angle needs to be the opposite direction. I don't see an issue with just flipping the power pod over. You may need to make some fit adjustments but it should work. It would then be open at the bottom though.

Cookie83610

So I think I'll just flip the power pod, to use CW prop and simply use normal nuts. This is the simple solution in my opinion. Thank you very much for this advices, this is very helpful !

Cookie83610

Excuse me, but I've receive my motor and there is something that I don't understand. I've a CCW motor, so when I'm in front of the motor, it will turn CCW. So, My prop is a normal prop (not a reverse prop) because the prop turn CCW too, and for tighten the nut, I turn the nut in CW direction.

So in what position I have to mount the pod ? I'm a bit confused.

Gazoo

Let's forget about a motor being CCW or CW. This really does not mean anything useful yet.

When looking at the plane from the front. If the prop turns CCW to create forward thrust, then the thrust angle should be to the right when viewed from the top. This is the way the kit is designed.

If the prop turns CW when viewed from the front to produce thrust, then you need left thrust when viewed from the top.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a completely separate subject. If you turn the nut on a motor with a threaded shaft clockwise to tighten the nut, it is a CW motor.

If you turn the nut counter-clockwise to tighten the nut then it is a CCW motor.

On a "typical setup" you would use a CCW prop with a CW motor the way the kit is designed. That way, when the motor starts, it will tighten the nut with the torque of the motor.

So, when viewed from the front:
A prop that spins CCW to produce thrust is a CCW prop.
A motor that you have to turn CW to tighten the nut is a CW motor
A motor can spin in either direction (just switch two leads)
If a CW motor spins CCW, the nut that holds the prop on will tend to loosen an the prop could fall off.

Gazoo

Excuse me, but I've receive my motor and there is something that I don't understand. I've a CCW motor, so when I'm in front of the motor, it will turn CCW. So, My prop is a normal prop (not a reverse prop) because the prop turn CCW too, and for tighten the nut, I turn the nut in CW direction.

So in what position I have to mount the pod ? I'm a bit confused.

Simple answer is build the kit as designed with right thrust.

Cookie83610

Thank you very much for these explanations, it's very clear now !

I've another question about another subject : Is a battery of 24mm thickness can fit in the mini Corsair ?

Thank you all, what a great forum !

Gazoo

Thank you very much for these explanations, it's very clear now !

I've another question about another subject : Is a battery of 24mm thickness can fit in the mini Corsair ?

Thank you all, what a great forum !

Sorry. I don't know the answer to this. I have never built one. Maybe someone can measure it if they have built one.

Cookie83610

Hello everyone,

My mini corsair is now finish, and the maiden was ... Disapointing. My CG is pretty good, at 1 inch from the front of the wing, to do that, I've glued 30g of lead under the power pod and it seems fine. But at the moment to take off (my father was holding the plane in direction of the sky and throttle was about 75%) the plane directly put his nose in the ground ... (wing disassembled and scratchs on the round motor cover ...)

Is there a problem with my build ? Too much weight on the front ? Any advice ?

Thank you all !

Gazoo

Cookie,

Did you test the control surfaces are deflecting in the correct directions? When you push down on the elevator stick the surface should go up.

You can also glide test it with no power. Just give it a toss and glide it to the ground with the controls.

Cookie83610

Yep, I've double check the controls and setup my DX6 well, all the surfaces deflects in the good direction, 50% range, 30% expo.

I was thinking that with this kind of planes, all the lift was given by the motor torque (high power motor with light structure) but I'll try to glide the plane to see what happen, thank you for your help