• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

EDF/BDF F16

Splinter189

Built another F16 today...make sure you watch till the end1😎😎

Just like the previous one, I am experimenting with the Ben Harbers BDF. Tons of people are asking about these and asking "are they a replacement for EDFs?" My best answer is, BDFs are going to be a great economical alternative to EDFs on certain airframes. What makes BDFs so affordable is they are built from 2207 drone motors, off the shelf props and 3d printable housings.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am about what this is going to mean for the @flitetest community😁😁

All the wiring and motor KV seemed OK on yesterday's F16, but it appears that the thrust tube was too restrictive and caused the motor to overheat and lock up. So now we will begin opening the thrus tube up incrementally until the BDF is matched up to the airframe. Its all kind of a guessing game, that what makes this so fun!!!

The F16 I am running today came it out 2lbs 6oz with battery, a couple oz lighter than yesterdays.
There were a few other changes that I made as well. The intake in the airframe is way too small. I was able to add slots right where the skin meets the wing to allow more airflow. A BBQ skewer spanned the two formers to keep the skins from collapsing in. Also added some reinforcement to the canopy and nose section. This will also help with ensuring the shape of the nose turns out better.

Anyway, check out the vid, it was certainly an improvement over yesterday, looks like I need to open up thrust tube a bit more. 20190914_135021-01.jpeg 20190914_112934-01.jpeg 20190914_112615-01.jpeg 20190914_173957-01.jpeg 20190914_172803-01.jpeg 20190914_170440-01.jpeg 20190914_170425-01.jpeg

Built another F16 today...make sure you watch till the end1😎😎

Just like the previous one, I am experimenting with the Ben Harbers BDF. Tons of people are asking about these and asking "are they a replacement for EDFs?" My best answer is, BDFs are going to be a great economical alternative to EDFs on certain airframes. What makes BDFs so affordable is they are built from 2207 drone motors, off the shelf props and 3d printable housings.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am about what this is going to mean for the @flitetest community😁😁

All the wiring and motor KV seemed OK on yesterday's F16, but it appears that the thrust tube was too restrictive and caused the motor to overheat and lock up. So now we will begin opening the thrus tube up incrementally until the BDF is matched up to the airframe. Its all kind of a guessing game, that what makes this so fun!!!

The F16 I am running today came it out 2lbs 6oz with battery, a couple oz lighter than yesterdays.
There were a few other changes that I made as well. The intake in the airframe is way too small. I was able to add slots right where the skin meets the wing to allow more airflow. A BBQ skewer spanned the two formers to keep the skins from collapsing in. Also added some reinforcement to the canopy and nose section. This will also help with ensuring the shape of the nose turns out better.

Anyway, check out the vid, it was certainly an improvement over yesterday, looks like I need to open up thrust tube a bit more. View attachment 142685 View attachment 142686 View attachment 142688 View attachment 142689 View attachment 142690 View attachment 142691 View attachment 142692
Hahaha hah!

That boy flys like I do. Push the throttle to the stop then just steer.:eek:

I been waiting to see a battery explode in on of these test vids.

Looking at the framecwork for the motor mount I would make the cross beams thicker and lose the part I assume wraps around the motor.

Quad motors need LOTS of air thru them unlike plane motors that can live with air moving around them.

I love it. The work you do is amazing. Your designs for this F-16, F-18 and the F-14 are among my favorite. I have limited funds so I'm holding off buying anymore airplane kits until these get released so I can build them.