Edge 540 Paper size?

Gazoo

You may want to throw it on the kitchen scale. I'm guessing $5 Walmart foam board is a little heavier than standard Dollar Tree Foam Board. Make sure the center of gravity (CG) is spot on. The heavier the foam board, the further back the CG typically is. If you add paint, it goes further back as well.

Let's see how much it weighs before it flies!

Nose heavy planes fly poorly, tail heavy planes fly only once. Or something like that...

KABFlyer

You may want to throw it on the kitchen scale. I'm guessing $5 Walmart foam board is a little heavier than standard Dollar Tree Foam Board. Make sure the center of gravity (CG) is spot on. The heavier the foam board, the further back the CG typically is. If you add paint, it goes further back as well.

Nose heavy planes fly poorly, tail heavy planes fly only once. Or something like that...
My scale only starts reading at 5lbs so it won’t see it but I can try standing on it with and without the plane

KABFlyer

If my scale is right it weighs 1.8lbs

It’s supposed to balance just behind the leading edge of the wing right?

The black isn’t painted only the only the orange

KABFlyer

Some landing gear... can’t wait till the rest of the parts come in the mail!! Probable going to be a few weeks before it’s ready for its first flight

Attachments

• 37A78B92-2783-4276-9E48-CB428A831C6F.jpeg
    37A78B92-2783-4276-9E48-CB428A831C6F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5456BF97-CE03-4CED-8AE4-021CB05DDAF1.jpeg
    5456BF97-CE03-4CED-8AE4-021CB05DDAF1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DCE2F440-16A7-42E3-A2F3-D2258EA97DEF.jpeg
    DCE2F440-16A7-42E3-A2F3-D2258EA97DEF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
If my scale is right it weighs 1.8lbs

It’s supposed to balance just behind the leading edge of the wing right?

The black isn’t painted only the only the orange

1.8lbs with no battery or motor? This might be a little on the heavy side by the time the battery and motor are installed. I think that the wing will handle it but you will need to be mindful of keeping your speed up on takeoff and in the air until you get a feel for her.

CG is 3.25 inches behind the leading edge of the wing (per the plans).

KABFlyer

1.8lbs with no battery or motor? This might be a little on the heavy side by the time the battery and motor are installed. I think that the wing will handle it but you will need to be mindful of keeping your speed up on takeoff and in the air until you get a feel for her.

CG is 3.25 inches behind the leading edge of the wing (per the plans).
Ya it must be the white foam is a bit heavier but I guess we will see what happens... if I gotta build it again then I do lol although may haven’t if I have a good crash haha

Gazoo

Ya it must be the white foam is a bit heavier but I guess we will see what happens... if I gotta build it again then I do lol although may haven’t if I have a good crash haha
The all up weight (motor, battery and such) was 1.5lbs when built by FliteTest. But they were going for 3D type flying characteristics.

Well, it's going to fly like a rocket. Remember the first commandment. "Maintain thy airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee".

KABFlyer

The all up weight (motor, battery and such) was 1.5lbs when built by FliteTest. But they were going for 3D type flying characteristics.

Well, it's going to fly like a rocket. Remember the first commandment. "Maintain thy airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee".
Ya I would think they want it for doing crazy tricks and stuff, but even tho I may weigh like 2-2.5 lbs it should still fly ok just for normal level flying nothing crazy? And that’s just my bathroom scale it might not even weigh that much... gotta go see my buddie and weigh it on his weed scale 🤣🤣

Gazoo

Hmmm...:unsure: I pull lots of weeds out of my landscaping too but never had to use a scale for that ;)

Wonder if you need to switch up the prop for so e extra speed. 3D props may be a little slow for your application.

KABFlyer

Hmmm...:unsure: I pull lots of weeds out of my landscaping too but never had to use a scale for that ;)

Wonder if you need to switch up the prop for so e extra speed. 3D props may be a little slow for your application.
I’ve orders a couple 10 4.5 props and a 1000kv brushless motor gonna run a 3s