F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

khensley

One thing I did that saved my plane was laminated my noise section with tree pieces of dollar tree foam. The middle piece I took the paper off both sides and cut a slot for a 1/4 inch dole rode. I also took the paper off of the inside of the outer two pieces and hot glued them together. This made my noise section real strong. Just a tip for those in need.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It gets better. This was shot at Hodges Hobbies in GA. They use the F22 as the combat plane of choice. When they fly combat, it's a fight to the death... of the plane. Full contact. There's a long standing rivalry between the GA guys, and the group from FL that visits the events held at Hodges.

The other combat plane, is the Dan Malone style. Well, the FL boys, not to be outdone, heard about this Giant F22, and made a Giant Dan Malone combat plane (or two, and darn it, I can't find the combat of the giant planes video! This one will have to do.) that they used to challenge this GA built giant F22.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
That's going to be a tad hot I think. Listen to the two videos on these and they say what motors they use.

Chubbs

Could anybody tell me would this motor fit the F22 or would it weigh it down too much?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__d2826_6_2200kv_outrunner_motor.html
And then with this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2165
All of your input is welcome, thanks!

I'm using that same motor on my F22, with a cheap-o HK SS 25-30 amp ESC. It flies great. I'm running a 5x5 prop, the motor comes down just a tad warm but certainly not hot. I flew the same setup on a flying wing for countless flights before it was transplanted to the F22, so longevity isn't an issue.

For flying, it does make the F22 a bit heavy but it certainly has enough power. I use either a 1000mah 3S or a 1300mah 3s and it balances fine. It just isn't as much of a floater as I've seen in some videos. High alpha is still very easy with enough punch out thrust, but a lower KV/larger prop combo would be better for this style of flying I think.

MrClean

That's going to be a tad hot I think. Listen to the two videos on these and they say what motors they use.

What are you doing answering questions on this board? You're supposed to be getting flight video of your airplane now that your transmitter has finally got here. Shoot, it's the only reason I checked in today.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Got it programmed and did a quick test. Well it moves and its LOUD! Too loud for a test flight at 8:30pm. I'll see if I can get it in the air tomorrow.

eagle4

just finished making my F22, all it needs now is some designs drawn on the wings and to set the CG, however I'm not sure where the CG should be. Thoughts?

Chubbs

Got it programmed and did a quick test. Well it moves and its LOUD! Too loud for a test flight at 8:30pm. I'll see if I can get it in the air tomorrow.

Mine's the same way...running it with a 2200kv motor on 3s and a 5x5 prop. That same motor/prop was also a little noisy on a previous flying wing I had it on, but it's twice as noisy on the F22. I guess it's the foam that closely surrounds the prop?

Not really sure why it's loud, but it is. It's seems almost as noisy as some of the nitro models I used to fly, except it's all prop noise (this could also be my fuzzy memory of how loud nitro models are though).

MrClean

Think of a wing and the airflow that goes over it and then is propelled down behind it. Now think that you've got a wing spinning around there with a blast of air coming off the end of it and slapping up against the wing and it only does it once every 180 degrees. You get to hear that wind slapping the foam, it's kinda cool. Normally you'll see the effects of this in the Pforce rotating down and around the fuselage of an airplane but it's a glancing blow but not in the slot jets, you get the whole thang there.

MrClean

Think of a wing and the airflow that goes over it and then is propelled down behind it. Now think that you've got a wing spinning around there with a blast of air coming off the end of it and slapping up against the wing and it only does it once every 180 degrees. You get to hear that wind slapping the foam, it's kinda cool. Normally you'll see the effects of this in the Pforce rotating down and around the fuselage of an airplane but it's a glancing blow but not in the slot jets, you get the whole thang there.

Now, having played in the Aero field and watched the effects of wing vortexes and smoke and balloons, I knew about the air flow but I was suprised one day when I was releasing for a friend flying PAMPA stunt and I was standing downwind for him. He came over the top on the back side of the wingover and a split second after he hit the corner in front of me I got a blast of air off that stunter that dang near knocked me over. You have to figure that there was an airplane there flying probably close to 60-70 mph that weights 3-4 pounds and just did a 10-12 foot radius turn. Thats a lot of force and MAN did I feel it. It always amazes me the forces our planes go through and can produce. You stick your hand out of a car window at 55 mph and it's a pretty good force. But try and hold onto a wing and do that.

CJGFX

On the Flight review you guys had little missiles on Joss Scotts raptor, where did you get these from or did you make them?

Itching to get this one built ready for summer....

ThePanduuh

im an RC Plane noob. i am on hobby king, i am about to order the turnigy 2730 brushless motor 1500kv and i want to know if i can get a 12 amp speed control instead of the 18 amp one. it says it pulls about 10A. im going to be running an 8x4 prop on it.