Help! First time RC build: help with parts

AirplaneGuy747

Hello everyone!

I am new to building RC planes and I need help with parts. For my first project, i'd like to build a glider with a movable elevator and rudder (no ailerons). What do I need? I have a controller, and I know I need 2 servos/servo horns.

What other fancy tech stuff do I need? (provide links if possible)

Thanks a lot!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome, AirplaneGuy747!

So, let me ask a few questions to help you out:

1) What sort of controller do you have? Is it a Spektrum, FrSky, Futaba, etc? I'm assuming you do not have a receiver for that controller, and would need to get one that is compatible.

2) How are you planning on flying this glider? Are you going to throw it off the top of a hill/slope, and use the thermals/upcurrents to fly, or are you going to have a motor to power up to altitude and then shut off the throttle and glide?

3) I'm assuming you are going to build this out of foam board, like most of the plans here at FliteTest, correct? If so, I'd recommend going to get the plans for the FT Simple Soarer and build that. It should list on the plans what you would need to build that particular plane, with things such as an ESC, what battery is recommended, servos, control wiring, etc. I'm trying to think of everything off the top of my head, and I know I'm going to fail, hence why I'm recommending the plans as a good start - most of what you'll need is right on the front page. :)

Saravana

Hello everyone!

I am new to building RC planes and I need help with parts. For my first project, i'd like to build a glider with a movable elevator and rudder (no ailerons). What do I need? I have a controller, and I know I need 2 servos/servo horns.

What other fancy tech stuff do I need? (provide links if possible)

Thanks a lot!

Dear AirplaneGuy747,
Check with flite test videos in you tube, you will get ideas. Im also new to this.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm going to assume that you mean that you have a receiver?
Besides the servos and horns you will need control rods to go in between the servos and the control surfaces.
Like @Saravana said, you can pick up a lot watching the ft videos on YouTube.

AirplaneGuy747

Thanks a lot for all of the replies! I'm sorry I couldn't reply right away, I was busy doing other things.

To answer @sprzout 's questions, I am planning on using an old "Nine Eagles" 2.4Ghz controller and receiver, I am going to chuck the glider from a high place to launch it, and I checked the Simple Soarer and I'm thinking of building it.

I realized that the old RC plane's circuit board had the servos embedded into it, and i'm just going to reuse that.

For future reference, how do you usually do the wiring? I attached two photos/examples to this reply.

Attachments

• wiring 1.png
    wiring 1.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wiring 2.png
    wiring 2.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Namactual

Elite member
Here is a typical wiring diagram using an ESC with an onboard BEC...
Wire.jpg
Red is your battery
Yellow is your Electronic Speed Control with onboard Battery Eliminator Circuit
Green is your Receiver
Blue are your servos

Since you are using a glider, you will not need an ESC, but the diagram still applies. You will either have a battery supplying the correct voltage straight to your Receiver, or you will use a step down voltage regulator between your battery and your Receiver.

The Servos are powered directly from the Receiver in either case.

Edit: actually, here is a better diagram I did before showing an external BEC.
181278_4cc97f4035cc262b0fb39644af1f646c.jpg
You would just eliminate the ESC and motor from the diagram.

Last edited: