Flite Test Flite Fest - early roll call

Flynn

Will there be an admission charge for spectators? I plan to come with my son and a couple friends.

Some events do charge for spectators, but it's usually minimal. Like 5 bucks. I think they said on the podcast that it would be free to spectators. Anyone else hear that?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Some events do charge for spectators, but it's usually minimal. Like 5 bucks. I think they said on the podcast that it would be free to spectators. Anyone else hear that?

I've heard the same, but I do wonder at the wisdom of that. . . But not for the normal reasons

At most club fun flys, spectators are free to encourage the passerby or mildly interested to come, but the bigger the event, the more likely to charge - SEFF charges only for its two busiest days, but Joe Nall charges *everyone* every day. . . And if you're not an AMA member or guest of one, you can't even get in the door. While it brings in money for the event, even a token fee can keep the crowds to a manageable level.

I'm *not* saying FTFF should become an exclusive invitation event - that's totally against everything FT is about - but from the speedy uptick, especially from those who aren't registered pilots, I wonder if they're going to find themselves with a sea of spectators they haven't planned for.

They've promised what they promised, so they'll have to have "total disaster" level reasons to change that. Do or don't, they might want to think about registering/counting the confirmed spectators. As much as I want to hang out, fly, and goof off with everyone here and more, not if it's SRO.

Flynn

I've heard the same, but I do wonder at the wisdom of that. . . But not for the normal reasons

At most club fun flys, spectators are free to encourage the passerby or mildly interested to come, but the bigger the event, the more likely to charge - SEFF charges only for its two busiest days, but Joe Nall charges *everyone* every day. . . And if you're not an AMA member or guest of one, you can't even get in the door. While it brings in money for the event, even a token fee can keep the crowds to a manageable level.

I'm *not* saying FTFF should become an exclusive invitation event - that's totally against everything FT is about - but from the speedy uptick, especially from those who aren't registered pilots, I wonder if they're going to find themselves with a sea of spectators they haven't planned for.

They've promised what they promised, so they'll have to have "total disaster" level reasons to change that. Do or don't, they might want to think about registering/counting the confirmed spectators. As much as I want to hang out, fly, and goof off with everyone here and more, not if it's SRO.

I see your point Dan. My 2 cents, being the first time the guys have tried something like this, I'm sure it will have some issues to fix next time. I really think the first event is a way to gauge how events will follow. I have never put on such an event and wouldn't even know where to start with something like this. I would just tell everyone planning on attending to keep in mind it's FliteFest#1, it's going to be a first time for the FT guys. I think we have a great community and support will come from everywhere.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I see your point Dan. My 2 cents, being the first time the guys have tried something like this, I'm sure it will have some issues to fix next time. I really think the first event is a way to gauge how events will follow. I have never put on such an event and wouldn't even know where to start with something like this. I would just tell everyone planning on attending to keep in mind it's FliteFest#1, it's going to be a first time for the FT guys. I think we have a great community and support will come from everywhere.

In a lot of ways, I agree, and seeing the last kickstarter update was encouraging. To me it looked like they saw the first in-rush and said: "yay! it's gonna work! now what extra can we do?" Then the second goal came and went with the similar attitude . . .

. . . but it didn't even slow down after that . . .

. . . and I think it put a healthy fear in them of how big this could be on day 1. update#3: "we'll do what we said, but scaled up to the crowd size." No new promises, better defined details, expect this to be "clunky".

I think that's healthy.

I expect this won't be a smooth festival -- they've promised as much. If this isn't a desaster (I think it'll go fine) I expect the next one will be much better.

Overall, I expect it will be as fun as a first event can be :)

Gryf

I'm planning to come, along with a friend and our wives, plus his two young daughters. We've already reserved a couple of hotel rooms in Carrollton, so we'll have someplace cool to retreat to if the weather gets awful.

Gryf

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Got everything lined up and I just finished booking for a romantic anniversary vacation to Malverne, OH -- Just me, my wife and 500 of my closest flying buddies :D

Still not sure how I got my bride to go for it, but I'm in!!!!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, the way the numbers are looking from my chair this will not be a small event by any means. I suspect it will be the largest event I have attended. The biggest I have attended to date is Warbirds over Delaware. I think Malverne is in for a big shock.

BladerunnerxRC

Planning on attending and camping at the event.

I'm looking forward to the entire experience!

Traveling from Cincinnati, OH.... I used to live less than an hour from Malvern... Poland, OH outside Youngstown, OH

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

The FAQ on the Kickstarter page is more up-to-date than the one on FliteFest.com.

The following is a copy-n-paste from the Kickstarter FAQ:

Can I bring non-pilot spectators?
Of course! Children under the age of 12 are free and a weekend pass for other non-pilot spectators is $5.

Tjhogg

My 8 year old son and I will be there I'm still trying to figure out how to jam all our planes and camping gear in my Kia soul lol

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
OK here's a stupid question...how do I register for FliteFest? When I go to flitefest.com, I get a "suspended page" notice. The Kickstarter page was just for the initial funding, right? Or do you still have to make a "pledge" or something through Kickstarter for a pilot registration?

Synthetech

Regular registration is not open yet

I'd hope it would open soon.

If this event is as huge as the kickstarter depicts it to be, I'd have thought there would have been more detailed organization going on with this event.

Here it is, 2 months from the event date and yet I cannot register, I do not see much in the way of detail of the event either.. I cant even figure out the Schedule of events.

The FlightFest.com site seems kinda bald and without much content whatsoever.

Is this event really going to happen??

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Is this event really going to happen??

Sorry, this made me laugh (in a good way) -- it's gonna happen, even if it's a woodstock-like invasion ;)

As I've mentioned before elsewhere, they keep saying the word "clunky" -- this is EXACTLY what that means.

I agree there's more happening under the surface for my taste, but in chatting with friends who are involved, there's a *LOT* going on, and a *LOT* of scrambling for missed details. They've got experienced help, but big or not, this is *NEW*.

Older festivals have everything in place beforehand, duties delegated to experienced volunteers, and the when-and-wheres all scheduled out nearly *12 months* in advance. Remember when they started the kickstarter they had no idea of the scale -- they set the success bar **7** times lower than what happened -- and there's a fair chance they *still* are thinking too small. An online pre-registration would be great, but they haven't publicly committed to settign one up, and even if they had, they can't be started overnight.

Patience guys -- they're working on it. Clunky it will be, but I don't see anyone not doing their best to make sure everyone has a great time.