FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build

doron1604

I put tape on the borders. Hopefully going to fly it on Saturday. I stick the battery on the bottom (got wheels) - 2200mah. I hope it's not too heavy.

MrClean

Whoooo Buddies, I tell ya what. Large horns on the elevator. I think this thing did a 4 foot loop from full throttle. I've got expo on 60ish but I sure banged the control once and I tell ya what, I think I'll put some High speed tape over the wing dowels to keep em in.

With turned down controls, it sure was a smooth flyer. Video if it comes up. My keychain was focused below the bird the whole time except for 2 seconds of landing. I had a camera behind me, we'll see about that.

Turns out, my video camera? Mostly focusd UNDER the flight path too. Anyways, two quick clips. One of the Maiden landing, the next the excerpted view from Waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy Baaaaaaaccccckkkk Theeeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeee.

Last edited:

Davec921

Well here is my hand at building. This will be my first plane to fly. I have a ex timer
2830/8 with a 8x4 prop. I have a 2200 3cell. I think I have it balanced.
I put the Lipo in the power pod. I all so have a 2200 2cell I can drop in. I just have to
figure out the right location for it to balance.
I will try to get some pics uploaded tomorrow . I will try to maiden it tomorrow as well.
wish me luck.
Dave

Davec921

Well did my maiden. I got three flights out of it.
Broke two props. One successful landing. The last landing was a lawn dart right in to pavement.
Will be building a more user friendly plane next. But boy was it fun :D

pulkamr

Just finished building mine. Took two days, and maybe around 5 hours total. I used mostly parts from my pile of "reclaimed" stuff. Thanks Josh!! Can't wait to fly it - maybe tomorrow if the weather is good!!

Here's a pic for all to enjoy!

BW.JPG

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Welcome to the forums! It looks great! Slap a Flitetest sticker on that thing and fly eet!

earthsciteach

Anotonio from Nitroplanes features the Bloody Wonder

I just stumbled across this video. Antonio from Nitroplanes and Hobbypartz did two videos featuring the Bloody Wonder. He says some very nice things about Flite Test.

To me, this is pretty smart marketing and is an indication of Flite Test's presence and in the RC hobby.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Agreed- Smart for the NP guys to take a plane that anybody can build for almost nothing and outfit it with their stuff.
Parts lists can mean everything.

I think it would be cool if they did the same thing with the F22!

earthsciteach

They could even go to the extent of putting together packages for various models - one stop shop gets you motor/esc/prop/battery/servos and hardware.

Eugene king

I just did my first flight on mine today. How many flights I don't remember. it was waaaaaay tail heavy and I was doing mostly reactive flying. I kept landing it and moving the 2200ma battery forward and messing with the travel limits.

Limiting the aileron travel to 60% I'm still only moving the stick 1/8 inch tops. Its now fliable........needs some tweeking and I really wish I wouldn't be belly floping it on the battery and tail fins. I will mess with some EXPO next and I also feel I need to put rubber bands around the pins so they don't fall out.

My power was from HobbyPartz/Nitroplanes and its the Dynam A21 power package. with 3 servos, 18a esc. Using a 8*4 prop its plenty fast for now. May need to shim the motor mount it wants to climb under power.

This thing gave me 8 stiches. I ran into problems with the ESC and discovered I didnt have the two piece motor mount clamp tight and it pulled free of the base and wacked my hand real good.

dugmar

Maiden flight yesterday. She flew perfectly right away, needed VERY minimal trim adjustment. Great little plane, a lot more fun than a lot of my much bigger, much more expensive planes. Love it. Thanks guys!

ftbw-L.jpg

dugmar

how d8d u mask your lines between red and black?

And update, Ready to Rock. Hopefully I can get down to the park tomorrow. Did everyone else stick there battery on the bottom? I guess if you have wheels on that would keep it safe but I just get a weird feeling about using the battery as a landing slide. It's kind of a pain to stick inside though.

I put my battery inside. Not only looks cleaner, I am sure the plane is faster this way with much less drag (see photos above.) CG is perfect with the battery right behind the ESC and a Hobby King Orange RX.

MrClean

I cut a hatch on mine, dangit, was supposed to pick up some neodyms at HobbyLobby when I was there Saturday, and used those wrap style velcro strips to better secure the now hanging battery. Now I just pop the hatch open, unstrap and strap in a new battery. It is much cleaner this way but kind of makes the power pod thing a moot issue. I guess it will still transfer to other planes but I'll probably just wear this one out here.

Nice in flight photos.

What are you folks using to paint these birds? Everyone always says Krylon H20 rattle can from Walmart, I wasn't able to find that version at Wally's when I was there last night. Aiming to put some color on my first scratch build with a rattle can, but need something that won't eat the foam and won't make the paper peel either.

Walmart? Lowes? Home Depot? Michaels? Target? Kmart?

Last edited:

MrClean

Testors at the hobby shop is foam safe spray enamel. Most of the paint is safe it's the thinner that eats foam. Get yourself a can and mist it on with multiple coats. After that you will be fine. But PRACTICE on scrap first. Sometimes, if you get it on too thick and it starts to eat away on the foam it never sets up. Just keeps being a gooey, reducing mess till all you have is a snot ball.

those don't fly so good.

Eugene king

Now that I have the CG where I want it my trims are almost neutral. It does want to lift some at full throttle. I may shim down the motor mount a tad.

Flying at 1/2 throttle for 13 minutes I used .76 Ah of the 2200mah battery. Can easily fly 30 minutes plus at that speed.

Flight number 2 was at 3/4 to full throttle for 15 minutes and on that pack I used 1.8ah of a 2200mah battery. I could have flown 30min safely

MrClean

Dang, that's what I used and still pulled paper. Gonna have to put it on my shirt first to dull the tach down a bit.

Bud, that sounds about right. I get 5 minutes of pretty much WOT on my 3 cell 850 packs. Gonna have to buy some bigger packs sooner or later.

dugmar

I didn't paint, just left the blue painters tape on there. Lightweight, nice contrast, cheap and easy to replace.