FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build

I started at the back of the forum and think i've now gone past the v2 release. I just weighed the build with a 2200 3s and coming in at 550. Seems heavy. There is a blue-wonder on there now. Not cutting it. I want FULL Power. Can you recommend a full-on brute to handle vertical take-offs with that size battery. Think i want to stay that size for the extra weight and flight characteristics.
Thanks

IMG_20150908_070611.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is the one talked about a few pages back. about to order.... 3-2-1..
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__70904__NTM_Prop_Drive_28_36_1800KV_438W_AR_Warehouse_.html

Along with some 6x4 props. ESC i have is 40a. Planning on running with 2200 3s but have some smaller 4s lying around as well.

Seems like the 2826-1200kv may be too small and not give enough oompf.

2200 and 3s
28-36 1800 with 6x4
Not enough for vertical.

tried a 7x4 and it worked but not a blast off. Anyone have actual great results with this motor? Please share.

maybe i should try the 6x4 with 4s 1300. but it's real tail heavy even with the 2200.

Krumbmiller

Hello! What do you think, please, Bloodywonder will fly with this kit?

A2212 1000KV
30A Build-in BEC 2A Brushless ESC
Prop - 1045

just don't have another variant on hand :)

And where should be placed the center of gravity of the model?

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Krumbmiller, Welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming you're using 3S packs -- that's a critical piece of info.

That motor tops out at 120W, so it's a touch on the light side, but plenty of people have had good success with 80W motors, so you should be fine. I'd avoid a heavier 3S pack, like a 2200mAh, but a 1300mAh should get you 8-ish minutes. She won't be a rocket ship, but she should fly perfectly happy.

Krumbmiller

ups, yes, this motor will work with a maximum of 3s! I recently got into planes. and at first did not pay attention to the battery.

What is bad, I only have 2s batteries. With it I does not elevate the plane?

For 2s need a more high speed motor?

thank you! and I apologize for the clumsy English

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You might have issues with a 2S pack.

Not particularly higher speed, but maybe higher power -- you're limited on that motor to 10A continuous/12A burst. On 3S that's 120W continuous output, assuming your prop will demand that much power (haven't checked a 10x4.5" on 1000kV at 3S will probably be hungrier than that). On 2S, you're looking at 2/3 that max power, so you're still in the 80w region -- again it'll be very much on the weak side, but you might be fine.

The downside is with 120W at your disposal, you can underprop a little and still be fine. With only 80w, you'll pretty much want the right sized prop.

Krumbmiller

Craftydan, thanks for the tips!

Yesterday I assembled the model, it was necessary to put the electronics.

"Accidentally" found this motor:

2205C 1400Kv Brushless motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7520&aff=80591
it can work with the 2s battery!

and such a propeller:

GWS EP Propeller (RD-8060 203x152mm) orange (6pcs/set)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...eller_RD_8060_203x152mm_orange_6pcs_set_.html

Should be enough. I think )

I will try with the 2s battery.

Аnother point I wanted to clarify. how to balance the aircraft weight? Where do the center from the leading edge of the wing?

And when mounting the motor do you tilt it down and to the left? (don't know how it called in English)

http://rc-aviation.ru/images/obzor/wilga/vilga-18.jpg

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can try that motor, but the first motor you linked would probably do better. On the positive side, underpowered on something like a bloody wonder means it won't gain altitude in level flight at full throttle, so if the motor isn't up to it, you could think of it as a "power-assisted glide test" -- as always, be sure to cut the motor off just before you "land" to save your prop.

As far as CG, I'm not sure about the V2, but the V1 had it's CG mark just behind the front servo. On the builds I've made, I transferred the mark about 3" left/right of the centerline, poked a small hole through the bottom layer and refilled that hole with a dot of hot glue. I can then put my thumb and fore-finger on the dots and it should balance with an ever-so-slight nose down tilt. nudge the battery back and forth to get it in a happy spot -- if you can't get it there, pull out the battery and use a tiny bit of lead on either the nose or tail (as far from the CG as you can get it) to get it to naturally balance. Then mount the battery centered on the CG and it should stay balanced -- this method has the advantage of balancing with *any* battery big enough to fit.

Hell2Go

well, my son parked his bloody last year after FF2014 and recently wanted to re-animate it... it was all warped up so we built a new one over the weekend. This new one we used all the new techniques and tricks we've learned over the past year. I used red wing tape for the top and yellow for the bottom, a tribute to the verticle drag race planes. I made the fuselage one piece, 20.25 inches long to support the frt/rear wing seam that always seems to be a problem area. I went heavy on the glue to mount the vertical stabilizers and will add a carbon rod between the tops of the stabs when they get weak. We have been on a quest for insane speed lately... He put his Suppo BL2217-1500kv on it to maiden it and dial in the trims and throws. It was the first time he maidened a plane. power is from a 4s 1300mah 40amp mystery blue series ESC and running a 7x5 prop. I threw the plane into the air as he applied wot and ten feet from my hand he proceeded to roll the plane with a vengeance and after about 4-5 rolls he pulls it into a verticle climb straight up for about 300ft. I said, "I guess it doesn't need any trims adjusted?". He says "It flys amazingly and I LOVE THIS PLANE!!"
Tonite he shoehorned in his NTM3536-1800kv with a 7x9 prop. in a hand held thrust test it demonstrated the ability to hover at 1/4 throttle! I checked the prop pitch calculator and it calculates a theoretical 214mph so with slip and airframe resistance I guess that it should be able todo about 150 mph! Hoping for good weather tomorrow so we can find out.
Whats the fastest anyone has had a bloody wonder going? anyone have a faster setup we should try? What do you guys think?

Eugene king

Well I dusted off my Bloody Wonder after at least 1 year of no flying......Two broken props later I got my thumbs back and flew it long enough to trim it properly. It was way too windy today *10mph plus) for a first flight in a long time, but I was Jonesing.A lot of beafing up I did in the begining of this project ended in the V2 design,,,,, I also have a double thick (2 pieces) section directly under the wing......so putting it into the ground now just ripped the scewers out of their holes instead of mashing the firewall into the wing.......

My astroflight charger says I used 1.9ma of a 2.2ma pack.......I'm happy.....I created a mix to add elevator to the ailerons to make a flat turn without any elevator......

Last edited:

rryyyaannn

I just completed the scratch build from plans on the bloody wonder. The only issue I had was building the wing. The plans did not have the 50% score cut for the leading edge or the crease lines for the air foil. I got it figured out pretty close but i think my wing could have been better if these were on the plans.

Did I miss something?

IMG_20151022_201848.jpg

Eugene king

The more you build them the better you get. By #3 I had it down to about 1 hour. A sheet of plexiglass put on the table makes the project easier.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I just completed the scratch build from plans on the bloody wonder. The only issue I had was building the wing. The plans did not have the 50% score cut for the leading edge or the crease lines for the air foil. I got it figured out pretty close but i think my wing could have been better if these were on the plans.

Did I miss something?

View attachment 56660

Did you use the latest revision of the plans? They can be found at the end of this article:

http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-bloody-wonder-v2-project

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I thought so, but I see the planes you've linked have the lines. I figured it out by the measurements Bixler gave in the build video.

Yes. In the article I linked, FT released an updated/improved version of the plans. They added some details that made the build easier.

markenz

First time builder, first time poster

Hi

I built a Bloody Wonder 2 weeks ago and I have to say it is awesome!

I started in RC about 5 years ago. Started with glow SPADs which taught me how to fly with no fear of crashing. Once I was comfortable flying I quickly got fed up with the hassles and overheads of glow and went electric. However, electric SPADs require expensive electrics to fly fast. I then bought some planes from overseas but shipping large items to New Zealand is very expensive. I was just about to give up on RC aircraft when I can across Flitetest. Foamboard is available in NZ but not for a dollar a sheet! However, it is still cheaper than buying kits from overseas.

I am using a 3530/10 1400kv motor from RCTimer - with a 9 x 6 folding prop, 30 amp Turnigy Plush ESC and 2200mah 3s. I love the wide flying envelope of this plane. I can cruise around on 1/4 throttle, or fly WOT vertical, shut the motor off and glide down, then open her up again. This extends the battery to approx 10 - 12 mins - WOT flying is approx 5 mins. I have crashed the BW 3 times, the worst damage was flying into a wire fence and cutting the leading edge to the spar. No worries - just pushed the foam back in and covered with tape! I like the single piece fuselage used in the BW v3 by Dan Sponholz and the V shaped vertical stabs. This will be my next project! Am also going to upgrade the ESC to 50 amp.

Am trying to convince my brother and father to fly too!

Thanks

Mark

bloody wonder.jpg

Gunino

Add some Carbon fibre? ;)

Hi Josh

Great Work you did on this Scratch-build! :)

Im asking if it wouldnt be better to put a 6mm carbon tube instead of the double glued foam stringer.
Or will it get too heavy.

Thanks for your Reply

Love your crazy Vids :))

Kyle77

Seriously my favorite plane to date!

I've build 17 planes thus far and 3 of them have been this one. It's a great one for a beginner like myself! Wish I had built this one first but now I'm getting a ton of flight time on these. I've been doing some mods lately and I'm finding some cool ways to alter the body slightly so I can scratch build them faster. Thanks guys!!