FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build

Eugene king

If I remember correctly all it did was knock off a tail fin. Tossed it in the air and then hit my wood pile and broke the prop shaft.

Then it was done.

Trafficked

Ever wonder what happens when you don't notice missing ballast??? Just look a little closer. And no I am not controlling the BW I am flying the p-26. when bloodywonders go bad.jpg

lankyjames

I've just built an FT Bloody Wonder - my first scratch build!

I have loads more throw on my left aileron than the right - which is going to provide some interesting flight characteristics!

Can anybody give me a list of things to check to see WHY this is happening and how to rectify the problem?
I've considered it is probably a combination of the length of the control rods and the placement of the control horns, would I be okay to move the right aileron control rod to a lower-hole on the control horn for that side?

eagle4

The reasons I can think of would be you're using a different hole on the servo arm, a different hole on the control horn, you might have one control horn with its holes directly over the hinge line(correct positioning) and another that has its holes off the hinge line(bad positioning) it should be pretty easy to narrow down as the bloody wonder has only 1 servo for the ailerons, it means it's purely mechanical

Good luck

danjr1

Hey,

I'm soon to start on my first scratch build and i'd like to build the bloody wonder first off. Just want to check that if I was to really tone down the rates etc, would it make a good sport trainer?

Bolvon72

Mentor
Hey,

I'm soon to start on my first scratch build and i'd like to build the bloody wonder first off. Just want to check that if I was to really tone down the rates etc, would it make a good sport trainer?

With really low throws it is a very stable and sturdy plane, like it's on rails. Up the throws and it will do some amazing things. If you already have some flight experience it is great for getting used to flying with ailerons. If you are just starting you might find the fact that it is in no way self righting a bit difficult. If this is the case, beat around with a FT Flyer first, it only costs a buck and when you are comfortable, throw the servos and the pod in your B.Wonder and have a blast.

Either way, until you get used to bringing it in high alpha and slow, keep wheels on it for the sake of your props, I broke many starting out by coming in too hot.

lankyjames

Well second outing for the Bloody Wonder didn't go so well as the first.
Tried 3s 2200mah (on a D2826 1400kv Turnigy 6x4 prop) and it felt underpowered but perfect for smaller park flying. Lost orientation and ditched it - perfectly fine.
Second flight 4s 1800mah, upped the speed - cuts straight through the wind, however on trying to pull up out of a steep dive, the bbq skewer split through the foam. The power pod exited sharply, and the plane backflipped to a gentle landing. Minimal damage to the pod and plane, so repairable...
IMG-20140309-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20140309-WA0006.jpg

Rcjim11

Looks good Lanky.. with that 1400kv motor you probably want an 8 inch prop on 3s. Probably why it was underpowered.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Wow, I built the V2 BW today, and it flies great!

image.jpg

I'm using a bare bones 72 MHz Setup with crazy throws and no dual rates so it got a little squirrelly. Still, loops, rolls, and inverted worked great, but I didn't have much power for VTOL. I need to rewind that motor tomorrow for a little more power.

Glademist

Hi everyone.

i built the FT Bloody Wonder from Kappa boards (5mm width) and the resulting aircraft without battery weighs about 470g. This is roughly 100g heavier then the plane made from the Adams boards that FT use.

I have a 3S 1300 batteries running it with the recommended NTM 28 26 Electromotor and an 30A ESC.

I had a 8x6E prop installed.

My experience is the following:
the plane flies solid from hand and can probably take off if wheels were mounted as well. It is not able to lift from the ground in a Vertical Take off. Probably due to the engine being too weak for the 100 more grams of weight due to different material used.

The engine with 8X6E prop at 3S battery has cca 140 W power.
The engine with 8x4E prop at 4S battery has cca 220 W power.

In air it flies solidly but its certainly not as aggresive as the planes from the FT videos. Again probably due to the weak engine.
The plane climbs but is not able to perform steep climbs etc.

My question is, did someone else build from KAPPAs? Did you solve the weak motor by buing a replacement? Which motor works for you well?

If not, can anyone recommend me an engine / prop that would be as adequate to my weight as the original to the Dollar tree foamboard?

Or should i just buy 4S battery and try it at the 220 W with an 8X4E propeller?

Glademist

Video from me flying my Bloody wonder made from kappa boards.

Thumbnail still not showing the BW but my friend and his Funcub. :(

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You might not have good climbing capabilities, but in combat no one will be able to take you down with DTF planes. Kappa is so much stronger... :)

nlit3n

This is my 2nd bloody wonder. I changed it up a bit to fix somethings I didnt like. Like the battery hanging off the belly, and crushed wing tips.
C360_2014-06-25-19-59-25-369.jpg C360_2014-06-25-19-56-04-613.jpg C360_2014-06-25-19-57-21-371.jpg C360_2014-06-25-19-58-40-439.jpg

Fasted2629

I did a scratch build on this plane. I will now be building a few more just so I can go nutz... I love this thing. I am not expert pilot but this thing is Great. Hats off to the Flite test guys for this one. I had bad luck with the Versa wing and this thing made me forget all about my troubles and had me so happy to fly and enjoy some time outdoors. The only thing I wish was that the plans gave full dimensions. Following alone with the video I was about to get most of them and that made a Huge difference. I only do the tiled plans because it is much easier. So Guys is you are listening for the guys doing the scratch builds some of us like to know exact dimensions :)

Chocotaco101

FT Bloody Wonder Rocks

I just discovered Flite Test less than a month ago and I love it. I've flown two planes before this one, a two channel Hobbyzone Firebird 2 around ten years ago and a four channel parkzone micro p-51 three or so years ago. This project has got me back in the hobby and I've learned more in the past few weeks browsing this site then i could have imagined. There is just something very satisfying about turning a pile of materials into an amazing airplane. Thank you Flite Test for everything you do. photo.JPG