FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build

mymaps

I'm also building one of these, it's still on my table

I wonder what you recommend for a beginner who's only flown with Elevator & Rudder on the right stick, should I keep using right stick with the FT BW (Ailerons & Elevator on the right, Throttle on the left) ?? Or would it be better to learn using both sticks (Elevator on the right, Throttle and Ailerons on the left) ?? :confused:

eagle4

mymaps. it seems you're flying Mode2. same as most of North America. so I'd say keep the throttle on the left stick and just have your ailerons and elevator on your right stick. this is the way it will be when you finally get into a 4 channel aeroplane.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Two flights with my Bloody Wonder I named "Banzai!". Neither turned out very well. First issue was CG. Fixed that. Second was ESC problems. Programed it and that was ok. Third issue ended up being a slow fly prop that would start to flex at higher RPMs and emitted a loud siren type of noise. Have some APC on order now.
BWBanzai.jpg
The pic is a pre-maiden shot. It has a few wrinkles now. :p

pavel4n

My FT Bloody Wonder

I can not get enough of how well she flies! :)
Simply flies great. Fast, deftly, is lightweight, and can rapidly skyrocket with seamless acrobatics. I have learned how to fly it and what it can do. My first flight experience was that, it is very lightweight and super fast! I felt like controlling super fast and maneuvruable jet. Very funny. Also the motor sound (in combination with this airplane) is very quiet comparing to my other airplanes.

Jsem na něj zvláště pyšný, tedy na to letadlo, jelikož se nemůžu nabažit, jak pěkně létá. Rychle, obratně, je lehké, dokáže prudce a rychle stoupat, bezproblémové akrobacie. Ještě jsem se učil, jak s ním létat a co dovede. Viz videa.

It is hard to get lightweight foam boards here.
That it is why I tried to find something similar and luckily found - 5 mm XPS floor foam boards - great material. It required more work to build the airplane, since it requires to tape the foam with colour tapes first. The result is lightweight airplane with very smooth surface.

Picture of nearly finished.
10714421_323085621209114_8637091321204335125_o.jpg

Another picture of nearly finished.
10708558_323085637875779_7039243541604848374_o.jpg

Finished version. Taped with coloured packed tapes. Water proof, nice colours, smooth surface.
1898706_323085651209111_771650816969722555_o.jpg

Maiden flight.

Second flight video.

How she looks - show.

Unexpected hyper landing flight (with music).

Building of airplane completely from scratch is great experience!
Especially if it flies so well!

Propeller: APC 8x4E

Motor: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=17345&aff=388598

Speed controller: TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=2163&aff=388598

Servos: 2x Turnigy TG9e 9g / 1.5kg / 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9549&aff=388598

Battery: Turnigy 1300mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9494&aff=388598

RC Control: Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8992&aff=388598

Receiver: Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=12901&aff=388598

Other components needed:
NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=16719&aff=388598

Tapped foam board provides stiff surface.

Thank you flitetest for providing such wonderful videos, tutorials, plans and tips!!! :applause: :) :) :)

It is very wonderful experience to build something new from scratch and especially, if it flies (so well)! :cool:

Last edited:

wrayman

hi

I like to do a scratch build of Bloody Wonder, what is the best way to transfer plans to foam board. Specially when their are so many lines. Thanks :(

wrayman

I did build a bloody wonder ,..Took it out for the first time to day it did fly but it wanted to pull to the right really bad .crashed it 4 times hit a hydro wire put a nice dent in the wing noised dived and had a sideways wing crash ..now I got a few repairs to do and try to get it so it will not go to the right same way as props turning ..Does any one now how I can make it fly straighter????

LooseBruce

I did build a bloody wonder ,..Took it out for the first time to day it did fly but it wanted to pull to the right really bad .crashed it 4 times hit a hydro wire put a nice dent in the wing noised dived and had a sideways wing crash ..now I got a few repairs to do and try to get it so it will not go to the right same way as props turning ..Does any one now how I can make it fly straighter????

The first thing to do is to throw it without power. Try to throw it level toward the horizon in a calm wind condition. Also a soft landing area is better than a hard one.If it is never calm then throw it straight into as little wind as possible. If it flies straight your airframe is probably OK. If it pulls to one side you should fix this first.You can trim it a little with your transmitter to get it to glide straight. This test throw will also give you an idea if your COG is correct.

Assuming that the test throws are all right I would shim the motor on the opposit side that it is pulling toward. In other words if it pulled to the right (assuming you are standing behind it). Shim the motor on the left side (again looking from standing behind the plane). This will tilt your motor more in the direction that it is going. I know it seems wrong but try it....You'll like it.

If you have doubts instead of using small washers to shim use homemade washers cut from credit cards (saves you money in the long run). Cut these washers so that they are "C"s instead of circles. You can very easily try them on either side this way. Just loosen the motor mount screws and slip them under the motor mount.
Good Luck, hang in there,
LooseBruce

sschevel

Printing issue

I printed the FT Bloody Wonder "poster, 100%". The first page gives a scale. The 6 inch scale is about a 1/32 short. Take this out to the wing and you get about 1/8 off. Perhaps that is not a huge problem but as a woodworker, that would be a large problem. It did print on 18 pages.
If I selected the "print cut marks" option the print would have grown out to 36 pages printed. It appears to have placed one page in the middle of 2 pages to send to the printer.

Perhaps its nothing to worry about?

Thank you
Guy

rdallaire

Building this as my first Flite test build. Excited to build a swapable and really like that this plane only needs 2 servos. Also the airfoil wing is a lot nicer than the flat/ profile foamies I have built before.

sschevel

Just finished mine tonight. I did not see anyone giving the weight. No landing gear, no Lipo, I am at 300g with the Suppo setup and a VD5M FrSky rx.

rdallaire

Just got the battery in for mine today and it flew great! This was also my first flight on my new Taranis x9d plus which I upgraded from the Spektrum dx6e. The radio makes it a lot easier to fly especially scratchbuild planes and being able to dial in expo/ rates etc.

Music wire push rods
Teeth flossers for control horns
2x 9g Tower Pro Servos

From aloft hobbies
FRSKY D8R-II PLUS - 8 CHANNEL RECEIVER (probably don't need this but it was similar price as the 4channel, might get a smaller one)
EMAX 8X4 E PROPELLER(GREY)
EMAX SIMON SERIES 30 AMP SPEED CONTROL
EMAX XA2212 KV1400 BRUSHLESS MOTOR

Corbarrad

I'm currently building a set of three for a nightflying session on saturday.
They will also serve as a testbed for my "tree hugger" style of building plans.
So far things are looking good. It took me less than 20 minutes to draw out all the lines for the wing this morning, using a combination of straight edge, set square and cardboard templates.
I think I might be able to get it down to 3 pages of 18x11 paper plus maybe a page for an overview.
The only motors that i have lying around, though are 2826 1400kvs. I hope 800 grams of thrust with an 8x4 prop at 3s will be enough to get the planes flying..
Who am I kidding, that should easily be better than 1:1 thrust to weight. I just hope I won't need as much.

sschevel

Well not to open any thrashing down on me. Something that just sticks to me a bit is all the expo stuff. Most of my flying came before computer radios. Some of the best radio days were Futaba AM radios. The last time I was really flying in the late 90's I ordered a Futabe 8UAP, flew one plane then put it all away........
Now I have the Turnigy 9x with the FrSky mod and running the er9x software. Now I have to try and figure out all those settings or do I just go with the basics (as I have for years) and simply push the stick slow when I want slow and part way when I want partial movement.......Seems to me that you would learn the sticks with the plane......having the computer output something different that what my finger inputs does not teach my finger how to output correctly without a computers assistance............

Torf

Well not to open any thrashing down on me. Something that just sticks to me a bit is all the expo stuff. Most of my flying came before computer radios. Some of the best radio days were Futaba AM radios. The last time I was really flying in the late 90's I ordered a Futabe 8UAP, flew one plane then put it all away........
Now I have the Turnigy 9x with the FrSky mod and running the er9x software. Now I have to try and figure out all those settings or do I just go with the basics (as I have for years) and simply push the stick slow when I want slow and part way when I want partial movement.......Seems to me that you would learn the sticks with the plane......having the computer output something different that what my finger inputs does not teach my finger how to output correctly without a computers assistance............

If you are used to linear control, then don't go crazy with expo. I tend to fly with very low expo values, and rarely if ever go higher than 20%.

At 10-20% you notice a little more fine control in the middle, and don't experience huge twitches in control out near the edges. It actually works well if you don't go crazy with it. One guy in a different thread was experimenting with 50-100% expo and not seeing much success. That doesn't surprise me. Anything above 40% for me starts to feel very squirrely and unpredictable out past the numb range.

When I fly a new plane, I'll use the recommended expo at first, but usually dial it back as much as I can without losing the ability to keep it in a straight line. Some planes are good at 20% or less, but some are perfectly stable and predictable at 0%.

My brother and I fly both his Bloody Wonder and my Bloody Baron with 0-10% expo.

Last edited:

sschevel

So close to attempting the first flight on the BW. Playing with the Turnigy 9x with er9x software. Easily setup expo and played with dual rates, wow what a difference it makes being able to control the throw on the radio! (as I said, I am not a flyer of the computer radio era).
Just need to cut out some wheels, which I had to search other FT plans to find a wheel cutout. Set throw with the gauge, set the CG/battery location and point it to the sky.