FT-EZ Three Pack Plans?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
About that controller board - I see that it needs to be mounted vertically, but does it matter whether the led / switch edge is up or down?

Thanks, rick

In the past, it appeared to me that the orientation was very specific, plug forward, board vertical, with LED down. I had only seen this in a FT EZ 3 Power Pack video (specifically, the EZ-V video), and there is no mention in any other manual.

EDIT: The following info is incorrect. DUH! LOL!

BUT, in the Our First Flight Controller! / FT Aura 5 Lite Bench Setup video, it shows you can mount the board horizontally, with the plug forward.

It also says you CAN mount it any way you want if you change the setup using a computer.
(removed image)

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member

rickp

Yeah it will think it is upside-down

Ah, but which way is right-side-up for the controller? Only way to find out was try it both ways.

Did a bench test and determined that the LED and power switch need to be pointed down.
Installed it with the LED and switch up, and the stability worked backwards!
Tilted the model nose down without transmitter input and the elevator tried to push it further down - clearly that's wrong.
Installed board with the LED and switch down, and the stability worked correctly - counteracting un-commanded changes in attitude.

Will maiden my model soon, and if successful then post plans and photos here.

rickp

In the past, it appeared to me that the orientation was very specific, plug forward, board vertical, with LED down. I had only seen this in a FT EZ 3 Power Pack video (specifically, the EZ-V video), and there is no mention in any other manual.

BUT, in the Our First Flight Controller! / FT Aura 5 Lite Bench Setup video, it shows you can mount the board horizontally, with the plug forward.

It also says you CAN mount it any way you want if you change the setup using a computer.

Nice, but that's not the same controller used in the FT EZ 3 Power Pack. At least it's not the one that came with mine.
Mention this as I was initially confused by your post. My issue, I'd say, not yours.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Nice, but that's not the same controller used in the FT EZ 3 Power Pack. At least it's not the one that came with mine.
Mention this as I was initially confused by your post. My issue, I'd say, not yours.
Oh poop. Yep. My bad. Don't know what I was thinking. I guess I wasn't! LOL!

So, it IS mounted batt plug forward, board vertical, LED down.
(Info & image from EZ V / Build video)

Screenshot_20201003-202051~2.png

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
You can mount the board with the battery plug facing the back. It seems to work as long as the board is vertical with the LED facing down.

rickp

You can mount the board with the battery plug facing the back. It seems to work as long as the board is vertical with the LED facing down.

Good to know, as I had not even considered front/back orientation. Thanks AgentC, rick

AgentC

Elite member
I'm working on a OV-10 Bronco, plans to be up soon (hopefully)...

I've also been trying to get gliders working with the 3-channel, but the 880mm Sophisticated lady is a tad heavy, so resizing and then testing.

Gliders on the 3-channel seem to be an awesome Avenue to look into!
IMG_20200929_215740.jpg
IMG_20200929_215758.jpg

Last edited:

rickp

How about an F7F Tigercat?

Haven't been able to maiden mine yet due to weather conditions, but it balances nicely and runs fine on the bench.

All the details are in my blog, including full plans, and here's a picture of the finished model before applying the skin.
That's a 3D model on the laptop screen, from which I also built a Phoenix simulator model.

Best of luck with whatever you build, rick
20201011_103213.jpg

Last edited:

rickp

Man, you guys are making me want to jump onto this train more and more. I love the Tigercat and I’d love a Mossie.

Have you seen the Mossie that legodragonxp is working on beginning at post #283?
Don't know whether he finished it, but it looked like a good start.

And here's a deal for you - if you'll commit to jumping onto this train, then I'll create a set of Mossie plans if legodragonxp hasn't done so.
It would be a profile version of the picture below.
Mossy Without Gear.png

Cheers, rick