FT Mighty Mini Mustang

xMeox

Im looking forward to your build! Lime green is a very nice choice of color. I would love to use it myself though I only have found one kind of green wing tape (hk) and it doesnt look very nice imo..

travpounder

Just finished my first build!

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    860.7 KB · Views: 2

xMeox

awesome!
Yesterday I build a second pod for mine (2204 motor). havnt had the chance to maiden it, I hope the wether will be fine this weekend. have you flown yours yet?

dgrigor02

So with 2204 and 800 3s ( ish ) sized battery, pretty confident its at or below 250gams ? I ordered the 3mm foam from HK and should arrive on Saturday. Wondering if I should even bother trying to save a little weight with 3mm board or not. All I care is that it is under 250grams for UAS registration reasons. I might use 3mm anyways for the tail section so to help with balance.

Last edited:

xMeox

I highly doubt that you can get it up in the air under 250g.. Ill go and weight mine later but iirc my weight without battery was over 250g.

dgrigor02

Uh, somewhere in the post was park250 motor and 2s battery at 210grams. I figured 250gram was doable. May try the 3mm board and gorrila glue vs. hot glue and see how close can get it.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I highly doubt that you can get it up in the air under 250g.. Ill go and weight mine later but iirc my weight without battery was over 250g.

Should be doable.

My Mighty Mini Zero was 226 grams with an F pack motor and 500mah 2s. It would still be under 250 grams with an 800mah 2s.

A 3s battery is quite a bit heavier. With an 850mah 3s battery I came in at 269 grams.

Now, the Zero seems to be about 20 grams heavier empty than both the corsair and the mustang. Also, keep in mind that the above weights are with paint, Ross foamboard (a bit heavier than dollar tree foam), and the landing gear as pictured here:

Shouldn't be a problem getting under 250 grams with the mustang or corsair & 3s battery if you're careful with your hot glue and tape applications. If you're really concerned about it, remove paper from the inside of the fuselage when you build it. You won't lose a lot of strength that way, and you'll save quite a few grams.

xMeox

My second one (yellow one) weights 246g with 2204 motor, 12A sc, 4x 3.7g servos and 3s 460mAh battery. Thought I used more wing tape than necessary on this one.

97tj-neil

Mine is well under 250 g AUW. This is made with DTFB, a Park 250, 3x 5g servos (no rudder), and a 500 mAh 2S. I have also flown the same setup with a 650 mAh 3S, and still under 250 g.

B799EEA8-21D8-4621-B465-F3601AD2997D_zps2pzjedps.jpg

xMeox

well I guess I have to check my glue management then. Or did you remove some paper to reach this weight? 97tj-neil ?

dgrigor02

Just for grins, since there are some good benchmarks in this thread now, I'm going to built it with the 3mm Hobby king stuff. It should arrive today. See what kind of weigh with the recommended 2204, 800mah 3S setup wrapped with the Signwarehouse 2.7mil vinyl.

xMeox

Im really looking forward to your results :)
I really dont know what to build at the moment.. Im waiting for the Sparrow and Arrow to be released, have the plans for the Baby Baron and Explorer printed, am working on a 3d-ish mini and have 4 (!) finished but still unmaidened planes lying around ^^

dgrigor02

No way this HK foam will ever work without some type of covering. 2.7mil vinyl on one side does add stiffness but still not near Adams w/ paper.

The 3mm does make a nice leading edge of the wing. I used the 5mm w/paper for the spar. I think the wing will be fine for slower speeds but there is enough give that 4s 2204 will be out of the question just not going to be rigid enough. I'm rethinking that 2204 will be overkill. Overall stiffness is going to be a concern. The wing slot will need some adjustment since thickness is different.

Full wing assembled ( no servo or control horn yet ): 36grams.

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
this is a scratch build. I used too dark of grey and the red didn't go over the grey very nicely. The wing stripes are paint the invasion stripes are 3M plastic tape. I taped over the aileron servos to make it look a little smoother. My hatch does not fit very securely. It has some slop in it I will need to fix. I may made a tack hinge on the front if it survives the maiden. I have an 1806 motor with 7x4.5 prop. Wish me luck tomorrow. i do not have a good history with minis.

IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2551.JPG

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I have the plans but need to finish my sportster before i start this one nice job Capt_Beavis the mustang looks great are you bringing it tomorrow