FT Mighty Mini Mustang

xMeox

imo it would be a good idea to download the mmm plans and build another power pod. If you change angles on the old ones the new holes will interfere with the old ones, therefor the pod wont stay in place correctly. I once placed a new pod inside a plane, poked the wholes inside and than realized that some wires from the speed controller where above one wall of the power pod, which resulted in an absolute bizarre angle. tried to redo the wholes, but in the end I had to redo the whole pod.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
With my mini P51 built and before I can maiden it, I notice the pod does seem to tilt the motor down as well as right. Right I get. Is down, correct or have I built this wrong?

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes some dont angle is pretty typical. It counter acts the increased lift generated under heavy throttle and helps keep the plane level when accelerating.

MSmethers

imo it would be a good idea to download the mmm plans and build another power pod. If you change angles on the old ones the new holes will interfere with the old ones, therefor the pod wont stay in place correctly. I once placed a new pod inside a plane, poked the wholes inside and than realized that some wires from the speed controller where above one wall of the power pod, which resulted in an absolute bizarre angle. tried to redo the wholes, but in the end I had to redo the whole pod.

I happen to have an unbuilt Mini Sportster kit so I built that power pod. I don't know if the pods are the same model to model, but since they are "swappable" I would think so. In the MMM build video, Josh speaks of the pod/motor sitting higher in the Mustang and that he shaved "about an 1/8th inch" off the top of the pod. Perhaps that's where I went bad with the angles.
I get what you're saying about the holes and pod stability and totally agree. Once I get it dialed in, I plan to reinforce with either balsa or thin Carbon fiber sheeting.
I used the extra BBQ skewer down the fuselage and tried to give the motor only a slight downward thrust and popped new holes through added layer of packing tape. Went to a lighter 2S 800 Mah battery and In the limited space of my backyard (not enough to try and hand launch) a rolling start netted some lift prior to running out of patio and into grass. So I think I'm getting closer.

For future reference, here is the thrust angles on a newly built Sportster Power Pod as measured with a protractor.
Right Thrust Angle;

Down Thrust Angle;

Last edited:

xMeox

now we are talking! awesome pics!

First of all, Im sure now that the problem is the powerpod. The pods of those two birds are very different, you can swap them, but the angles will be off so this is not suggested.

Second: Whenever you build a bot with left/right angle, never play around with the main fuse, only change the angle of the firewall. Otherwise the pod sits very loose in the fuselage. The best thing to do is to print out the powerpod (from the mustang plans) and build a new pod. As the pod is pretty small you should be fine to use some other materials, if you dont have foamboard by hand. Btw, I built the mmm power pod twice, as I thought I built it wrong the first time. The angles look kinda strange, compared to all other minis Ive built so far.

Last but not least, never give up ;). I had quite big problems with the FT Arrow and needed several tries to get it to a decent fly. Though it will never become my favorite plane, it was very satisfying to get it to fly in the end :)

xMeox

Any updates on your progress MSmethers?

Mine got grounded badly by my father today. After a really beautiful lift of she rolled over and grounded inverted with at least half throttle. Afterwards we realized that he programmed the ailerons inverted. Propeller broke and the wing got loose and cut around one cm into one side of the fuselage. 20 minutes, 5g of hot glue, a propeller and a very short programming session later she was airborne again. I really did not expect that less damage after such a crash. Its just awesome what kind of beating this little beasts can handle :)
The second flight did go well btw.

TrojanMan

Maidened my mini mustang this morning. Boy does this bird SCREAM with the F power pack! I need to make some control surface travel adjustments and dial in on the trimming but I was not expecting it to fly like it did. Similarly to the scout (A pwoer pack) this bird had more than enough power but could also slow right down too. Build #3 for me will be the corsair.

PS, I'm strangely addicted to cutting bevels in foam board now.

mrwis@yahoo.com

Guys,

Maidened my Old Crow MM yesterday. Things didn't go so well :(. Looking for any ideas.

Basically my son was able to fly it for about 1:30, me only about 30. Winds were about 10mph, maybe a bit more with gusts. It was a handful to keep in the air. It seemed to launch fine. Seemed maybe a bit underpowered and very sensitive to giving it more throttle. Seemed to want to go straight up. I've got the F pack and a 850 3cell nano tech. I had 30% expo and maybe a bit more dual rates then the gauge for low rates would suggest. I honestly didn't have control of it enough to tell you any other tendencies. I also didn't get it up in the air high enough, certainly not two mistakes high. Started to porpoise on me and hit straight down.

Should be easily fixable. I've already rebuilt the power pod as the thrust angle was all but destroyed. Wing detached but I can easily glue that. All servos, etc. are still functioning just fine.

Here are some items from the build I questioned:
- My battery doesn't fit real well. I've got it stuffed in there vertically (see the picture) as opposed to horizontally, and I had to cut out a portion of the cover to fit it. Could having some weight higher, rather than lower make any difference. I checked my CG pretty well with a jig and pencils and the plane inverted. I'd say it was pretty good, a little on the nose heavy side but could maybe have been more.
- I had to add 3 quarters to the front to get the CG right. I put them in a cutout in the cover, again the weight was higher then the wing.
- I'm running an APC 6x4 prop.
- I don't believe I have any down thrust angle when my pod is mounted.

I'll get it fixed and try it again. I had hoped this would fly similar to the big mustang and handle the wind in a similar fashion. Need to figure out how to get it tamed so I don't have repeat.

IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2969.JPG

Here's a link to my son's semi successful flight. Don't know of someone can see anything that might be wrong in this.
https://youtu.be/fZ8LaRZgBsA

Last edited:

xMeox

I also have the F pack, 800mAh 3s and a 6x4 prop installed, so Im pretty sure your setup is fine.
As far as I can tell from the video, the problem is speed. This setup is quite heavy, there for the bird needs quite a lot of speed, most of all during turns in windy conditions. Imo you just need more base speed and youll be fine. Check your powerpod if it got the correct angles (the mmm power pod is unique, NO other bird does have the same pod!), maybe just redo the whole pod if your not sure. Also check that you have mounted it correctly in the fuselage. After a hard crash the wholes will most likely be damaged. Just make new ones to be save.

Before I used this heavy setup I used the A pack and a 460mAh batteries. I was able to fly much slower without getting stalls. If you have lighter components lying around, maybe give that a try as well.

best regards,
xMeox

mrwis@yahoo.com

Thanks xMeox. I completed repairs yesterday. I did rebuild my power pod. I also dialed my dual rates way down so they are just at the recommendations. I relocated my rcvr to below the pod and can now set my battery down and hopefully need less extra weight for cg. I'm going to put a new prop on and check my cg and make sure i don't have any up trim so I can maintain speed better. Fingers crossed.

xMeox

Good luck! Try to get a little bit more speed than in your video, not full throttle, just a bit more. If you struggle with uplift, try to trim it down a little bit. It is easier to pull a little bit when you are gliding than constant pushing down the bird while flying with motor

97tj-neil

I have had a ton of fun with my MM mustang. It flies great on a park 250 with a 450 3S. I have cartwheeled it down our runway, ripped the fuselage clean in half, ripped the wings off (twice), nosed it in so hard the fuselage slit open like a peeled banana, and destroyed 2 powed pods. All of this damage has been repaired with hot glue and tape, and it keeps flying. It still tracks straight as an arrow, though the paint is a little worse for the wear.

I have only been flying for just about a year now, and this plane has lasted longer than any previous one did. I am currently building a whole squadron of mini warbirds to bring to FTFF 2016 and will need a new MM Mustang to join them. Just last night I set up my gopro on a tripod and made some low passes with the MM Mustang and stripped an aileron servo when I got just bit too low

B799EEA8-21D8-4621-B465-F3601AD2997D_zps2pzjedps.jpg

mrwis@yahoo.com

Love the minon. I picked up some new props from my lhs last night. Just have to one on and check thecg and I'll be ready to give it another go. Seems the weather might not cooperate for a few days. I sure hope my next attempt succeeds like yours are. This is my first ft build that didnt go without any hitches.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
My first one ended up in an irrigation ditch. Did you use my Rustoleum Aluminum Metallic for the paint? It looks good.

I have had a ton of fun with my MM mustang. It flies great on a park 250 with a 450 3S. I have cartwheeled it down our runway, ripped the fuselage clean in half, ripped the wings off (twice), nosed it in so hard the fuselage slit open like a peeled banana, and destroyed 2 powed pods. All of this damage has been repaired with hot glue and tape, and it keeps flying. It still tracks straight as an arrow, though the paint is a little worse for the wear.

I have only been flying for just about a year now, and this plane has lasted longer than any previous one did. I am currently building a whole squadron of mini warbirds to bring to FTFF 2016 and will need a new MM Mustang to join them. Just last night I set up my gopro on a tripod and made some low passes with the MM Mustang and stripped an aileron servo when I got just bit too low

B799EEA8-21D8-4621-B465-F3601AD2997D_zps2pzjedps.jpg

97tj-neil

My first one ended up in an irrigation ditch. Did you use my Rustoleum Aluminum Metallic for the paint? It looks good.

I believe that is exactly the paint I used. It gives a really nice metallic look. I did not minwax this plane first, and I got a few wrinkles as a result.

MSmethers

Any updates on your progress MSmethers?

Apologies for lagging with an update. Had a bit of a fall and broke 8 out of 12 ribs on mu right side, 2 in multiple places. Ironically, I was getting a $99 sport cub out of a eucalypgus tree (very poor decision for a 260 lb 52 yr old!). Plane was 60+ feet in the tree. Got it out and was on my way backdown. 20-25 feet from the ground, crack, pop. Next thing I know, im laying in my back trying shake the birdies out of my head and catch my breath.

Anyway, I did manage to get the MMM air born after many "dirt naps" and reverse low alpha rolling lawn darts. But it was pretty beat up by then and didst fly too well. Had carbon fiber (1/16"x1/4") reinforcement from nose to trailing edge of wing (both sides) more to straighten the fuselage but also restore some rigidity. Particularly squirrelly take offs, but once air born she few fairly well.

Did initially fly right wing low. VERY close inspection revealed the rt aileren was 1/16" low. Didn't track well, cornerd good on 70%. Only plane if flown thus far without AS3X. Having to recover after any and all stick imput is a new challenge for me.

After thorough assessment of the airframe, I've opted to reclaim electronics and scuttle the frame. I've both the mini and the full in my shopping cart, trying to decide.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, going to go maiden the MM Sportster.
Cheers
Marshal

Last edited: