FTFC20 - Build-Ruary (Build Challenge)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think it's time I do a build with the free 1806 motor I have. I'm having trouble deciding. The options I've come up with in the sub-250g category are a Micro Arrowhead, a light micro custom triplane. Options that may or may not exceed 250g are a micro or mini Arrowhead bipe, and the "Swipe"(idea for a swept wing bipe). :unsure: let me know which one you guys want to see most!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think it's time I do a build with the free 1806 motor I have. I'm having trouble deciding. The options I've come up with in the sub-250g category are a Micro Arrowhead, a light micro custom triplane. Options that may or may not exceed 250g are a micro or mini Arrowhead bipe, and the "Swipe"(idea for a swept wing bipe). :unsure: let me know which one you guys want to see most!
I want to see the mini arrowhead bipe! :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BVR816V/?tag=lstir-20
it says they weigh 60 grams... are these like the ones for the a-pack ft engine group? Thanks (again) in advance!

Those are huge not only in weight but also size. Most 9gr plastic gear servos used here are half the dimensions, the 5 gr are even smaller yet. The metal gear servos that are the same size as the 9gr servo usually weigh around 12 gr not 60gr.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Results
Finally the results are in and the winners are apparent. Before I reveal the winners, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who threw their hat into the ring this Year.

We tried something new this year, Discord based Build parties. Where a handful of us got together and built our respective planes or not, and chatted about what we were planning and building amidst the beginning of the pandemic. If you were unable to join us, please know I am new at discord, and I meant nothing by any accidental exclusion. I am getting better. I hope those interested can find a way to connect as we build.

As with each year, the Challenge starts with a great plan, perfect intentions and big hopes. and it finishes with some successes and some less so. This year was the year of the punt option. Most of us realized this challenge can be more difficult than we expected or that life would butt in more than wanted. This year mores so it seemed. When looking at the final play-out of the contest, there were those that didn't get far, a few that finished. and another handful more that showed us that FT planes are easy and quick to build and even as easy and fun to design your own. All of the winners were in this last group.

So without further ado - Drum roll please.

WInners - Lets' take a moment to congratulate each of them.
Special Mention - @Hondo76251 - He tackles very technically advanced builds involving GPS, and FCs and navigation automations but still complete the challenge.
I will be in touch with each of you soon,
Congrats guys!!!

mayan

Legendary member
Results
Finally the results are in and the winners are apparent. Before I reveal the winners, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who threw their hat into the ring this Year.

We tried something new this year, Discord based Build parties. Where a handful of us got together and built our respective planes or not, and chatted about what we were planning and building amidst the beginning of the pandemic. If you were unable to join us, please know I am new at discord, and I meant nothing by any accidental exclusion. I am getting better. I hope those interested can find a way to connect as we build.

As with each year, the Challenge starts with a great plan, perfect intentions and big hopes. and it finishes with some successes and some less so. This year was the year of the punt option. Most of us realized this challenge can be more difficult than we expected or that life would butt in more than wanted. This year mores so it seemed. When looking at the final play-out of the contest, there were those that didn't get far, a few that finished. and another handful more that showed us that FT planes are easy and quick to build and even as easy and fun to design your own. All of the winners were in this last group.

So without further ado - Drum roll please.

WInners - Lets' take a moment to congratulate each of them.
Special Mention - @Hondo76251 - He tackles very technically advanced builds involving GPS, and FCs and navigation automations but still complete the challenge.
I will be in touch with each of you soon,
Congrats @Hondo76251 , @FishHawk and @Vimana89 you all did an amazing job with your builds. Special thanks to @FoamyDM for the challenge and all of you for participating in it.

mayan

Legendary member
A while ago @FoamyDM, @Zetoyoc, @BATTLEAXE and I had a discord video chat. We were having fun talking (at least I did), until at some point BattleAxe left and we started talking about Build Raury. This made me think; even though the challenge might be over there is just so much I personally gained from it. I gained a ton of planes that I can fly, crash, repair, repeat, skiping the build part this time :). I gained a lot more experience in building and the different building techniques. I got to practice and perfect my paint schemes and paint jobs. I gained expereince flying different models and understanding the different flight characteristics that each had. Most importantly I had fun!!!

Any how thought I'd share my personal feeling about the challenge with you all and let you see a video that was filmed by Zetoyoc and editted by me talking a little about the challenge. Kinda think it makes for a great way to wrap up the challenge :).

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I agree it is a great way to end it out. I'm looking forward to this coming February. I'm hoping to get my kids involved by that point. That and Joe from ARCN podcast and SamPlatt at www.TheHangarRC.com.
I know it's not for everyone, but I know we can all benefit in some way from it. The worst that can happen is you make a few friends in the challenge.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I agree it is a great way to end it out. I'm looking forward to this coming February. I'm hoping to get my kids involved by that point. That and Joe from ARCN podcast and SamPlatt at www.TheHangarRC.com.
I know it's not for everyone, but I know we can all benefit in some way from it. The worst that can happen is you make a few friends in the challenge.
I’m going to complete the challenge next time! :LOL:(y)