FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Leaded50, Pegna P.c.1 - 1921 Schneider Cup Racer

Boberticus

Pegna P.c.1 was a racing seaplane proposal from designer Giovanni Pegna for the Italian contribute in the
Trophy Contest. (Pc =Pegna corsa (Race)) The engine and propeller of the Pc 1 pivoted up to clear the water for takeoff, landing, and while operating on the water’s surface.
Pegna’s racing seaplane designs focused on minimizing the aircraft’s frontal area, with sleak streamlined designs.
No sidefloats, it was planned lay low enough in water that wings would stabilize it on water.

This is a intruging weirdo designed plane, with its pivoting motor/prop, whot suits me perfect to build!
I was "lucky" after search, and some email,s to get a scanned copy of a "3d" drawing. Together with a few other drawings (eg, as a Peanut size rubber plan) i think i have enough to build it. Pivoting motor planned by a slow moving servo, perhaps linear? Its a build who will give my creativity on solutions on what can be done, or not. Eg. it seems like ailerons was planned against outer ends, but it has a thin "racing" undercambered wing... servos would be "misplaced" in wing.. perhaps need forget ailerons and just make it 3ch with rudder/elevator.

Approx length planned 670mm
Wingspan 750mm
ZTW 2212 1450kv motor, 35A ESC. 3-4S 1800mAh battery

(PS, i hope the brushless motor can take some water...:ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 198721

Oh man the Schnieder cup had some weird airplane entries.

My personal favorite "could-a-flown but didn't" is the Piaggio pc7, a hydroplane "float" airplane built and tested for the 1929 contest.

Using the water prop, speed up up to taxi speed, the fixed hydroplanes lifting the prop clear of the water, then use a clutch to switch the engine to powering the front airscrew propeller to get it out of the water. Theoretically less drag and weight than floats, if you can get to to take off.

I think the middle photo you posted is actually of it in the only time it was on the water conducting trials., but nobody ever had the guts to get it in the air, and Italy fielded normal airplanes that year :(heres a write up on it. its mildly annoying how much they look alike though, like he was reusing a fast airframe with a vastly different configuration, both wildly unconventional...

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member

My personal favorite "could-a-flown but didn't" is the Piaggio pc7, a hydroplane "float" airplane built and tested for the 1929 contest.

Using the water prop, speed up up to taxi speed, the fixed hydroplanes lifting the prop clear of the water, then use a clutch to switch the engine to powering the front airscrew propeller to get it out of the water. Theoretically less drag and weight than floats, if you can get to to take off.

I think the middle photo you posted is actually of it in the only time it was on the water conducting trials., but nobody ever had the guts to get it in the air, and Italy fielded normal airplanes that year :(heres a write up on it. its mildly annoying how much they look alike though, like he was reusing a fast airframe with a vastly different configuration, both wildly unconventional...
Correct, all his 7 racing plane designs had quite much similarity, with most possible sleek front. The one i build is the only one designed for Italia competition, before his company was bought by Piaggio though.

leaded50

Legendary member
is bright red correct color in 1921? No info can tell. in 1929 red was assigned as the main color on Italian racingplanes. Some before was, others not.
Italian and red color on racing stuff feels nice, so red it get. White fuselage bottom, and flag colors are on.

DSC_0823.JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

That is a great and detailed write up. Thanks for sharing!

leaded50

Legendary member
quite ok in paint, still some insignas, marks eg to put on, and glue wing on fuselage, then after, it gets a layer of clear coat.

leaded50

Legendary member
Sadly, difficult to get the true effect shown on a picture, i even digitally lightned it, to try show better. .without great success
The "bronze"part of the pivoting front was cooling pipes, and i tried to recreate it.
First it was spraypainted bronze/gold, then the dark lines between the pipes was drawn with a black marker.
Then a pencil was used to shadow the "main" line, pluss a bit up and down between lines. In ends it was shadowed all the way.
As last thing, a finger was used to stroke the pencil grafit more , without any eg. cleaning of finger between..... The bronze/gold paint will then give different luster of clarity and create a shadowed pipe similarity with lightest in middle, and darker against sides. With the layer of clear coat spray varnish at end, this is kept further on.
DSC_0825.JPG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Sadly, difficult to get the true effect shown on a picture, i even digitally lightned it, to try show better. .without great success
The "bronze"part of the pivoting front was cooling pipes, and i tried to recreate it.
First it was spraypainted bronze/gold, then the dark lines between the pipes was drawn with a black marker.
Then a pencil was used to shadow the "main" line, pluss a bit up and down between lines. In ends it was shadowed all the way.
As last thing, a finger was used to stroke the pencil grafit more , without any eg. cleaning of finger between..... The bronze/gold paint will then give different luster of clarity and create a shadowed pipe similarity with lightest in middle, and darker against sides. With the layer of clear coat spray varnish at end, this is kept further on. View attachment 199169 .
Good look. Do you have detail on the hinge... to keep it at the right angle and secure? I can't imagine just a tape/foam hinge system would not work.

leaded50

Legendary member
Good look. Do you have detail on the hinge... to keep it at the right angle and secure? I can't imagine just a tape/foam hinge system would not work.
im using a plastic hinge, (hatch hinge?) Quite sturdy ones. gonna find pictures

Here : 40 x 20mm and detachable with some work. On the Pegna, i used 2 hinges.

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
i "found" (reworked to) an Italian pilot! Hvite leather helmet wasnt unusual that time in Italian car racing, i supposed it fits in airracing too .
A touch to small perhaps, but what i had, and it fits.
Install the new servo when comes tomorrow, and just to fasten the wing too.
DSC_0826.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
the new servo for pivoting front came. Quite slow motion, and waterproof.. sadly it was bigger than thought :whistle:, but no worries, some adjustments and it fits. Made a own room for it with splashguards , so even if comes water there in one or other way... it wouldnt matter. It dont reach rest of electronics. make a new rod to the pivoting front, and its ok.

(yeah, it got false intake/exhaust on top. It looks right, even if was not planned there by the designer. He planned it under wings, with valves that shut for water...

DSC_0827.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
"suddenly" things seems go fast? ;) Floattest with 2800mAh battery! The blue line shows waterline at fuselage. Its ok, no worries on getting water inside, even a bit higher floating than believed. I was afraid it would float wey low, and easier for water could get into fuselage by eg. a small ripple/wave. But also see it easy tip a wingtip clinching to the watersurface. Perhaps this wouldnt say anything, and fuselage would correct it self enough by movement. I will make some floats for easy mount anyway, if needs, whatever if isnt as designer Pegna had in mind. Perhaps he would found it was need for it, on the full scale build.

DSC_0831b.png

leaded50

Legendary member
Whoa! U R just leaving us in the dust with this challenge. Can't wait for the video.
it needed a pointed spinner... just to fuind one that fit though. A RC shop had good service, and checked measurements all they had, that possible could fit. And this was from a "old storage" they dont have any STM planes for sale more.... so both they had, got cheap :)

Yeah.. i need some taxiruns, before trying take-off too. And a boat close by if anything get wrong! I know a perfect beach for try out... but still frozen that lake...