FTFC23: Buildruary Build-off Challenge

AgentC

Elite member
So I finished the Corsair, but it seems quite tail -heavy...
PXL_20230222_213243523.jpg

Also, not a fan of all the poster board!

Needless to say, all birds are complete (except for some more decorations needed on the Mini Old Fogey), so this month has been a success.

Until I crash then all on their maiden flights, that is...
PXL_20230222_230909300.jpg

Yankee2003

View attachment 235373

Needless to say, all birds are complete (except for some more decorations needed on the Mini Old Fogey), so this month has been a success.

View attachment 235372
Aircraft Build-raury collection looks fantastic. I think the judges will have their hands full with all the good entries.
4 aircraft done and in a highly refined finish. Nice work.

speedfix

less than one week to GO!

how is everyone doing? having Fun? supporting eachother? I see some great work?
Well not so good here, I finished the fuse of the old fogey, and have ran out of foam board. My new foam board won’t be here until the feb 3. So I’m out.

luvmy40

Elite member
After 2 substitutions, I have 2 builds complete, 1 build at 95% and one build parts cut. I have only maidened 1 and it was a dismal failure. I'm going to hit it hard this weekend and try to finish up, hopefully adding a 5th, simple build so I actually have 4 flight worthy planes. The big question is whether the weather will cooperate and let me get them all in the air before Wednesday.

Inq

Elite member
less than one week to GO!

how is everyone doing? having Fun? supporting eachother? I see some great work?

Not to be an old codger (but I am)... I've got plenty of great support and help from the forum. Early on, when I thought this would be a cake walk, I tried to be supportive of others. But as time went on and reality set in... it has eaten my life away. I'm cranky and I've missed some really great flying days. Here in the south, February is great... at least 50sF... yesterday it was in the 70s F and no wind. March will be blustery and I don't know if my skill level and wind conditions will even permit me to try to do the maidens. I've made design decisions for expedience instead of sound engineering judgement or cosmetics. Not my normal choice. IOW... this will be my one and only FTFC.

Inq

Elite member
After 2 substitutions, I have 2 builds complete, 1 build at 95% and one build parts cut. I have only maidened 1 and it was a dismal failure. I'm going to hit it hard this weekend and try to finish up, hopefully adding a 5th, simple build so I actually have 4 flight worthy planes. The big question is whether the weather will cooperate and let me get them all in the air before Wednesday.

We have till before 3/8 for maidens. Only builds have to be done before 3/1. ;)

hankflies03

Yankee2003

Not to be an old codger (but I am)... I've got plenty of great support and help from the forum. Early on, when I thought this would be a cake walk, I tried to be supportive of others. But as time went on and reality set in... it has eaten my life away. I'm cranky and I've missed some really great flying days. Here in the south, February is great... at least 50sF... yesterday it was in the 70s F and no wind. March will be blustery and I don't know if my skill level and wind conditions will even permit me to try to do the maidens. I've made design decisions for expedience instead of sound engineering judgement or cosmetics. Not my normal choice. IOW... this will be my one and only FTFC.

It can be a bit ….. time consuming jamming 4 planes in 4 weeks. I think most of us can empathize with you.
But the pain is nearly over. The important part is that you participate. You will be remembered for joining the challenge and not judged by how well you did. Which by the way…is entirely up to you. It is all self-induced pressure.
I will only fully complete one airframe…but that is one more than I had 3 weeks ago.
I would encourage you to join with us again next year. If the flying weather is too good to pass up…then by all means go and fly. Put off the build for a day and enjoy the weather. If you change your mind….and I hope you do…..enter the next Build-ruary with a bit of flexibility and allow yourself to skip a day if you want to. But we will miss you if you drop out of the group.
Hang in there my friend.

JDSnavely

View attachment 235373

View attachment 235372
Yes, for the mini Corsair I think my son needed to add 4 large nuts in the front cowl behind the prop. We also added all the electronics in the cowl area. When we were less expreienced with c.g. we flew the Corsair without added nose weight and it was quite entertaining but not good flying! The mini scout should fly like a dream and it looks fantastic! Don't have experience with the other two. Have fun!!

AgentC

Elite member
Yes, for the mini Corsair I think my son needed to add 4 large nuts in the front cowl behind the prop. We also added all the electronics in the cowl area. When we were less expreienced with c.g. we flew the Corsair without added nose weight and it was quite entertaining but not good flying! The mini scout should fly like a dream and it looks fantastic! Don't have experience with the other two. Have fun!!
Alright, advice taken! I've scavenged a bigger motor and ESC from another build and installed them (with the ESC as far front as I could muster). Balance already seems better with a 3S 800mAh. Will keep some nuts/bolts/random rocks in my stash on maiden-day, too :)
Thanks!!!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Not to be an old codger (but I am)... I've got plenty of great support and help from the forum. Early on, when I thought this would be a cake walk, I tried to be supportive of others. But as time went on and reality set in...

... I've made design decisions for expedience instead of sound engineering judgement or cosmetics. Not my normal choice. IOW... this will be my one and only FTFC.
This challenge is deceptive. It seems simple... Then you realize, uh oh... I have underestimated it. And as you say, either you make strange choices, or you just fall short. I am glad you participated @Inq . I hope you join us next year as @Yankee2003 mentioned.

As I have stated, I thank everyone here for joining, trying. I hope you are enjoying this deceptively simple/hard challenge.

A couple days left. Let's give it one last push.
1677388570987.png