Heinkel plane 2021 challenge

Do you think good this is a idea?

• Total voters

Phin G

Elite member
ive got the fuse done now working on the edf, i have drawn out plans for the wings, boom, tail surfaces however i rushed on and did the fuse withought making plans so i am copying dimensions, been held up with theatre and throwing my friend a leavers party as she left school to go to med school to be come a physiatrist. i hope to get the tail boom done and the tail sufaces stuck onto the plane and finish it by the end of the week and get plans done within X time.
i also have to update the build thread.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Wing is put together with lading gear installed as well. Drew some wheel covers up today so I will probably cut those tonight after putting the fuse together and attaching the wing(removable wing). Should be ready to start skinning tomorrow night. Pics of how the wing came together are on my build thread https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/heinkel-he-100-build-thread.68116/
IMG_20210907_225745958_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210907_225720554.jpg

Jesse Dupreez

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I'll toss my hat in the ring with the He 57 Heron, Heinkel's last seaplane and first all-metal airplane.

later variant 2.jpg

It was designed by Heinkel after "Anthony Fokker told Ernst Heinkel about the problems he had building a metal amphibian aircraft light enough to have an efficient load capacity" in a meeting in Switzerland.

The He 57 was characterized by being overweight. An elderly lady even remarked at an airshow: "O! Look how cumbersome and heavy, it looks very heavy" in 1931. This, combined with the He 57 being built during the Great Depression, meant the airplane never progressed past the prototype stage. It was sold in 1934 to an aviation school and crashed in 1937.

I plan on using the FT Sea Otter as a base and imparting heavy modifications to achieve a semi-scale look.
Build thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/heinkel-he-57.68272/#post-676774

Cheers!
Sam

Attachments

• early variant 3.jpg
    early variant 3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
This is a fun challenge is to design any Heinkel plane,

The goal is to design a Heinkel Plane, that flies great and looks great.;)

here are some pics of some of the Heinkel planes
Starts 18th August
End 18th October

there is no prizes just a fun challenge, except for bragging rights (or if someone wants to donate a prize)

There are basically no rule except for designing a Heinkel plane, submitting plans, and creating a build thread.

Go as scale or as crazy as you want, but most importantly have fun.;)

here is a link that will help you pick a plane
My favorite is the heinkel he 112
maybe a he-162

Updated rules:

-Build must be reasonably repeatable (complete balsa, fiber glass, or carbon fiber builds are not allowed, but these items may be used in the construction of the planes) Hotwire, 3d printed, foam board builds are all allowed. P.S. please suggest any i've missed

- Plans/videos/instructional guides should theoretically be provided. (the more actual plans the better)

- No limit on size. (wingspan, etc)

- No limit on power system.

- No limit on amount of motors, except the plane must have 1 or more (no gliders).

- no limit to features

- If possible maiden footage should be included

- Build thread must be made

- participants are allowed to work together (ie: one designs and one builds)

- NO FLIGHT CONTROLLERS ALLOWED TO BE "HELPING" PILOT

- Please suggest additional rules.........

Determining the winner:

determined based off of stats by builder/pilot and community decisions.

#1: does it fly? 5 points. if not 0 points.

#2: Ease of build? 1-10 points.

#3: In air handling? 1-10 points.

#4: Scaleness? (compared to actual aircraft) 1-10 points.

#5: Stall speed? 1-10 points. lower stall the better

#6: Flight Envelope? 1-5 points. 5 for slowing down to a crawl, and also being able to travel fairly fast.

MAXIMUM POINTS 50.

PLEASE SUGGEST SOME MORE CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
can I make it a chuck glider? I cant fly an rc plane well currently, but I would love to design a chuck glider heinkel.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I'll toss my hat in the ring with the He 57 Heron, Heinkel's last seaplane and first all-metal airplane.

View attachment 207129

It was designed by Heinkel after "Anthony Fokker told Ernst Heinkel about the problems he had building a metal amphibian aircraft light enough to have an efficient load capacity" in a meeting in Switzerland.

The He 57 was characterized by being overweight. An elderly lady even remarked at an airshow: "O! Look how cumbersome and heavy, it looks very heavy" in 1931. This, combined with the He 57 being built during the Great Depression, meant the airplane never progressed past the prototype stage. It was sold in 1934 to an aviation school and crashed in 1937.

I plan on using the FT Sea Otter as a base and imparting heavy modifications to achieve a semi-scale look. I'll update this post with the build thread when I start it.

Cheers!
Sam
wow.... that is one beautiful plane. i can't wait...

Phin G

Elite member

View attachment 207129

I plan on using the FT Sea Otter as a base and imparting heavy modifications to achieve a semi-scale look. I'll update this post with the build thread when I start it.

Cheers!
Sam
That is a beaut i think that plane would look awesome in balsa covered with metallic like vinyl.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

Phin G

Elite member
Im afraid i have to pull out for multiple reasons (my diy edf wouldn’t put out that much thrust, the edf case was shredded by the prop, the prop came lose and cut my finger open. Have fun building and flying!

image.jpg image.jpg It hurts

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Im afraid i have to pull out for multiple reasons (my diy edf wouldn’t put out that much thrust, the edf case was shredded by the prop, the prop came lose and cut my finger open. Have fun building and flying!

View attachment 207316 View attachment 207317 It hurts
Ouch! Sorry to see you drop out bud but glad to see you are ok more or less, that could have been a lot worse than that, trust me I know I have the scars to prove it LOL!