Hey what Radio System do you Use?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
hi, I'm having trouble binding my fs-i6 to my fs-ia6. It says it binded but when I get to the main screen it doesn't show the telemetry of the rx it only shows the telemetry the tx.If anyone out there might know what I'm doing wrong pls let me know.
I am not an expert on Flysky to be honest. The FS-i6 is the basic transmitter and depending on the age of it, the Firmware may be out of date ? You may possibly even need to do a small hard ware mod to the receiver, to get it to communicate telemetry data. I remember watching a You Tube video regarding telemetry for Flysky gear, but it was a while back.
I use FS-ia6B receivers and I get basic telemetry data like RSSI on my Radiomaster, but saying that the FS-ia6B is an AFHDS 2A receiver, not sure without looking it up if the FS-ia6 is ?

I still have one of those the 6ch version, I even have the key to wind it up (don't you just love clock work gear).
You still have your skate key.
s-l400.jpg

Jinwon lee

hi thank you for this video but I should have told you that they also don't communicate between each other(I tested it with a servo).

Jinwon lee

hi thank you for this video but I should have told you that they also don't communicate between each other(I tested it with a servo).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am not an expert on Flysky to be honest. The FS-i6 is the basic transmitter and depending on the age of it, the Firmware may be out of date ? You may possibly even need to do a small hard ware mod to the receiver, to get it to communicate telemetry data. I remember watching a You Tube video regarding telemetry for Flysky gear, but it was a while back.
I use FS-ia6B receivers and I get basic telemetry data like RSSI on my Radiomaster, but saying that the FS-ia6B is an AFHDS 2A receiver, not sure without looking it up if the FS-ia6 is ?
Here is another option

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You will need to modify your receiver with the hardware modification. I suggest you check out the second video I posted its probably a better way to get the Lipo battery voltage.
However, to get this on your transmitter you will also need to do the firmware update. Not only will the update enable you to get the external telemetry info, it will also upgrade your FS-i6 from 6ch to a 10ch transmitter. This means you can use the FS-ia10B receivers in future,
There are plenty of videos on You Tube on how to do this, but you will need the firmware update cable that plugs in the trainer port of your transmitter to do it.
Hope this helps.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Oh the good old days, why do things have to be so complicated now?! :cautious:
They really where the good old days, when your transmitter ran off a 9.6 volt NiCd battery (that took nearly 12hrs to charge), which if you where lucky lasted a days flying. Then there was the problem that if you left the battery connected in the transmitter for too long, it would erode the positive power wire (known as black wire), which would track all the way to the circuit board and screw up the PCB.
Even for a quality transmitter like Futaba the Conquest transmitter on/off switch was :poop: and needed replacing, a common fault.
Then when you wanted to fly with the damn thing, there was all the palaver of crystals and making sure the others around you where not using the same frequency.
You also had the extra weight in your plane of 4.8v or 6v flight battery supplying the power to the receiver and servos.

Yep the good old days eh :p

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I forgot who was asking about the iX20 (and im too lazy to re read this thing) I haven't had it too long so I'm still learning the features but ill share a little of what I have experienced so far for anyone interested.

The main thing that got me to buy the iX20 was the fact that i can run Qgroundcontrol from it. I was getting frustrated trying to attach a phone in some non janky way before. Because its basically an android phone i can also run my As3x programming from it.
20211123_174735.jpg

I like that it has programmable trim buttons. I can do the DR/expo as a "trim." (Or other things if you needed) This is very handy for maidens. Before i always had DR and expo on one of the 3 way switches and just kind of guessed what settings i might need.

I mentioned before that i like the sliders. The desire for sliders for pan and tilt almost had me looking to another brand, and in my research for that is where I settled on the iX20.

I love having a touch screen menu. I always thought that the little scroll button on my Dx8 was a janky way to do it for an expensive piece of gear.

I like that it comes with a case. For the money Spektrum stuff costs i think they all should.

Im going to be doing some range tests on various recievers soon (a project i started a while ago and have yet to finish) it will be interesting to see if having a bit more antenna sticking from the transmitter will make any difference. (I'll also be modding long antenna onto my Dx8 and comparing that to stock)

Its a very expensive item and i havent had it long enough to confidently give a recommendation, but so far I'm really liking it.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Actually, you should be looking first of all the wider picture for what type of radio. That is, what are you going to do with your planes?

Weekend warriors- just happy to get up and fly without too much wind. Don't care to push system. Good for 7 channel max. No programming.

Active flyer--learns something, "got it", goes on to learn something new. Again a 7 to 9 channel radio. Might learn how to program.

Got guts-- Will push themselves, does slow rolls, invert, knife edge and fly in most windy conditions. Needs now to program mix, and start exploring special features of radio like external equipment that will match their radio. Telemetry(battery, temp, fades and holds of my receiver to prevent crashes, etc) Gyros to assist flight and adapt to radio for on-board adjustments of gains. It keeps on going.

Explorers: Will try anything from Vtol's, Stol's , speed, and what they come up with to meet the needs of their flight.

My radio is equipped with both digital and analog devices to trigger a feature?
For instance, I divide the throttle into three modes, Say off to 35% throttle, landing light is on. 36% to 50%, light goes off, and from 50-100% light rotates on top of tail. So when that mode is set, don't do a thing, except move the throttle from 0 to 100 and it activates by itself.
No programming needed.

Way to pick a radio, go to company site and download manual, read each brand, and that will direct what company you should pick based on your needs.

bisco

Elite member
the problem for beginners from my own perspective is that you have no idea what it will lead to.
you might give up after the first crash, or you might go on to great things.
i think i got the right tx after a year, but it wouldn't have been a mistake to get the 50 dollar fly sky either

Hondo76251

Legendary member
the problem for beginners from my own perspective is that you have no idea what it will lead to.
you might give up after the first crash, or you might go on to great things.
i think i got the right tx after a year, but it wouldn't have been a mistake to get the 50 dollar fly sky either
Agreed, i sometimes wonder if recommending some of those newer "everything included" packages wouldn't be a bad idea. Ive had my kids and a lot of their friends fly my little volantix 600 and they've had blast. Its so small and light that its almost impossible to damage.

checkerboardflyer

Spektrum DX6 – Two Favorite Features

Batteries: Most transmitters have batteries that need to be charged, usually the day before you go flying. But if you forget, then no flying. The Spektrum DX6 takes AA batteries. With AA batteries, no charging. You are always ready to fly as long as you have some AA batteries.

Timer: You set the timer to count down so that it beeps before your batteries run down all the way. You hear warning beeps as your time gets shorter. But if the timer keeps running when you are at low or no throttle, you get less flying time even though you are using much less battery life. So with the DX6 you can set the timer to cut off when you go to low or no throttle. That extends your flying time. And every time the throttle goes below the threshold that you set, you get a beep to let you know that you are extending your flight. Two great features.

And it's a computer radio, so that's available. About the only thing that I set on the computer are flaperons. But it can do much more.

More resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• 1-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    1-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    2-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    3-spektrum dx6.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 0

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Also I have an amazing experience with RDQ a while back. They are an amazing store even without their fight against the FAA. I ordered a Mobula 6 FlySky from them. When it arrived I ended up getting a FRSky version. But within 2 days I had a new one in my hands. Talk about good customer service! I also live super close to them so they deliver in one day
RDQ sells nothing but the best, their delivery is fast and customer service is the abolute best I have ever seen.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I love my dx6

That being said I am going the radiomaster route. Why? A few reasons.

I need to be able to use an external module. There are a few hacks on the radio but they either involve latency and/or hacking and soldering the radio. Why would I buy a module to get reduced latency only to add it back in?
I need more channels. For my planes 6 is plenty, but quads I need 8. Throttle, yaw, roll, pitch, arm, flight mode, turtle mode, and beeper.
There are very few spektrum rx options for micro quads (what I fly)
Spektrum is kinda overpriced: I know it is quality, but the dx6 definitely has the capacity to have more channels, they just want an extra 100-200$.

Beginners wont go wrong with spektrum, much easier learning curve. Pro tip: Buy used. If you can buy it used for a good price you can sell it used for the same price.
My 2cents