Hey what Radio System do you Use?

Wow reading this thread convinces me that for me I'm on exactly the right team with Spektrum. These others seem to be more about programming, finding there are various "solutions" to your "desired functions & capabilities".
Listen it's not like I can't handle a bit of programming. In high school we had one of the first programming classes (an elective) in Basic. We all took turns on a Wang computer, believe it or not. I was the guy who helped all the other kids figure out how to do the assignments, and I only got a "C" because I never felt like turning in the assignments on time.
But that's just not what I'm in this for, and it just doesn't light me up to have to figure out how to make my Tx do what I expect it to do without issue. Others ARE into that. I am here for problem solving, but with regard to airframes & performance, not a learning curve on programming. It's all good. All this keeps making me want to say you don't have to be an auto mechanic to have a hot car. If you have the means, buy one already set up the way you want with the finest tech.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
As ive posted many times, I started with spektrum and still use it. I think they're an excellent choice. I mainly use an Ix20 and Dx12 now and while i have things i can nitpick about spektrum (like the fact that i havent had propper sliders [great for pan and tilt] until i got the 20 🙄) i wouldnt go back and change it if i could.

I dont have much for experience on other ones so ill just offer what advice i can give for spektrum.

Dont get a Dxe.
I dont like mine, never have. I dont like using a separate device to program it. While the physical construction is good there are plenty of cheaper transmitters that are way better equipped.

I like the ease of programming the transmitter, i like having plenty of switches to do mixes and such. Great for doing maidens.

That is a very fair and honest appraisal of Spektrum and your views explain why people still buy them and choose them as there preferred transmitter, despite the cost.
However, for me cost and functionality where important factors when I bought an Open Tx radio.
Radiomaster transmitters are cheaper for two reasons: Firstly they are a relatively new company in the RC transmitter market. Secondly they do use cheaper lower quality budget parts, compared to the bigger name brands. The pots for example are not bad quality, but you can tell they are cheap ones and the detents on the slider's are absolute pants, but they work and fulfill there function.
At the end of the day you do get what you pay for in life, but to be honest for a budget transmitter. You do get a hell of a lot more for your money with Radiomaster.
Over the last 12 months I have also seen big strides forward with Radiomaster transmitters. With better quality CNC hall effect gimbals jus being released, nicer coloured trim etc these changes are obviously impacting the cost of the newer transmitters and consequently prices are gradually creeping up.
I can see Radiomaster gradually replacing all the lower quality parts on there next edition transmitters. That is when they can really start to compete with the big names on an equal footing.
At the moment Radiomaster are still building a reputation and a client base. But I can see in the not to distant future they will start to become another FRsky and become a big player in the RC transmitter market.

dap35

Elite member
Wow reading this thread convinces me that for me I'm on exactly the right team with Spektrum. These others seem to be more about programming, finding there are various "solutions" to your "desired functions & capabilities".
Listen it's not like I can't handle a bit of programming. In high school we had one of the first programming classes (an elective) in Basic. We all took turns on a Wang computer, believe it or not. I was the guy who helped all the other kids figure out how to do the assignments, and I only got a "C" because I never felt like turning in the assignments on time.
But that's just not what I'm in this for, and it just doesn't light me up to have to figure out how to make my Tx do what I expect it to do without issue. Others ARE into that. I am here for problem solving, but with regard to airframes & performance, not a learning curve on programming. It's all good. All this keeps making me want to say you don't have to be an auto mechanic to have a hot car. If you have the means, buy one already set up the way you want with the finest tech.
Fair enough. For me one of the reasons to change was that I did not have clear audio prompts availabe on my TX, and with a couple of my EDFs I ran the batteries WAY down because did not hear the chirp of the timer. Frankly, I needed a positive "Hey Stupid, your batter is low and you need to land NOW!" prompt to come up. For these radio's the programming is fairly simple, its not like doing BASIC, FORTRAN, or some other language, it is more point and click. But to each their own.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

That's it pal, you just bury you head in the sand and pretend technology isn't advancing. I remember when mobile phones changed from keyboards to touch screens and die hard's said "you will never get me using one of those touch screens".
The same with video recording, VHS and Beta max they where short lived because they got replaced by plastic disc's called CD's. Where are they now ? most of mine are buried in drawers because I can store every album I have in my collection on a single pen drive and carry it around in my pocket. How many new cars actually have a CD player installed as standard anymore ?
Please don't be mislead by hype and rumors, Open Tx isn't some over complicated computer software that only computer geeks can use. Yes there is a side of it that allows users to interface better with their transmitters and use them in new ways. That is optional functionality provided for you to use or not if you prefer.
The transmitter will still work in a basic format just like any other, its no different to a Spektrum or Futaba in that respect. Your still able to follow a basic set up wizard, which will allow you to get your model operating on the transmitter using simple basic steps. The difference is if you choose to, then you have an option to go deeper into the Open Tx software. Once you understand what it can do and how to use it, then your able to customise your model setups and your transmitter to operate how you want it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
This guy gives a great explanation initially of how to set up a model on a TX16s using the wizard.
He then talks you through the model setup page, which basically is all you really need to get you started. All the rest of the functions are nice to have and can be gone into more detail later, you don't have to use them.
By the way you don't have to use the wizard, it can be done another way. However, the wizard does simplify the setup process for people new to using Open Tx.
NOTE - Its exactly the same process for the Jumper T16 or T18 and Eachine T16s

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I take it that you’re liking the Ix-20. I must say I have a hard time justifying that kind of money when I think of all the other planes I could buy with it, but I know it would be worth the investment and it’s been teasing me for a while now…
Absolutely wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but its the only one that does what i want it to do so far.

I mostly use my Dx8 for fun. It has most of my older models still saved on it so i still just use it for most things. The Ix20 does start up slow, takes some getting used to. But i love it for what I do with it.

I'd suggest a Dx8 or similar to anyone.

Last edited:

Jinwon lee

hi, I'm having trouble binding my fs-i6 to my fs-ia6. It says it binded but when I get to the main screen it doesn't show the telemetry of the rx it only shows the telemetry the tx.If anyone out there might know what I'm doing wrong pls let me know.

Taildragger

Legendary member
this is similar to why I run a DXe. Of course I want to upgrade at some point, but the price is really why i got i. the challenge of making an airframe work with a non programmable radio. I got spektrum because when I upgrade in the future I plan to use a spektrum nx/dx something

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Absolutely wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but its the only one that does what i want it to do so far.

I mostly use my Dx12 for fun. It has most of my older models still saved on it so i still just use it for most things. The Ix20 does start up slow, takes some getting used to. But i love it for what I do with it.

I'd suggest a Dx8 or similar to anyone.
Dx-12? I figured you meant Ix-12 but that one takes about 4x the boot time as the Ix-20. I’ve been flying larger 3D gassers lately and I’m completely maxing out my dx-7 g2 so I’d like to upgrade at some point. The nx-10 is a solid option because of the price and Hall effect gimbals, however I love the idea and design of the IX series. I’ve used the Ix-12 and it’s fantastic but I’ve heard enough mixed stories on it that I would go for the Ix-20 instead.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Dx-12? I figured you meant Ix-12 but that one takes about 4x the boot time as the Ix-20. I’ve been flying larger 3D gassers lately and I’m completely maxing out my dx-7 g2 so I’d like to upgrade at some point. The nx-10 is a solid option because of the price and Hall effect gimbals, however I love the idea and design of the IX series. I’ve used the Ix-12 and it’s fantastic but I’ve heard enough mixed stories on it that I would go for the Ix-20 instead.

Dx8, you are correct.

Sorry i cant help it but I care about as much about the names of my transmitters as i do my family car or my glock... 😂
I'll edit the posts so as to limit confusion.

akg9hc6q16171.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That is a very fair and honest appraisal of Spektrum and your views explain why people still buy them and choose them as there preferred transmitter, despite the cost.
However, for me cost and functionality where important factors when I bought an Open Tx radio.
Radiomaster transmitters are cheaper for two reasons: Firstly they are a relatively new company in the RC transmitter market. Secondly they do use cheaper lower quality budget parts, compared to the bigger name brands. The pots for example are not bad quality, but you can tell they are cheap ones and the detents on the slider's are absolute pants, but they work and fulfill there function.
At the end of the day you do get what you pay for in life, but to be honest for a budget transmitter. You do get a hell of a lot more for your money with Radiomaster.
Over the last 12 months I have also seen big strides forward with Radiomaster transmitters. With better quality CNC hall effect gimbals jus being released, nicer coloured trim etc these changes are obviously impacting the cost of the newer transmitters and consequently prices are gradually creeping up.
I can see Radiomaster gradually replacing all the lower quality parts on there next edition transmitters. That is when they can really start to compete with the big names on an equal footing.
At the moment Radiomaster are still building a reputation and a client base. But I can see in the not to distant future they will start to become another FRsky and become a big player in the RC transmitter market.
Exactly why i personally dont recommend the DxE, no offense to those that use them. If a cheap transmitter is what you're after there are plenty of better options IMHO.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
One reason to use a DXE is if they plan on staying with Spektrum and not have to replace any receivers.
True, but I tend to preach the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. Don't get me wrong, i like the fact that its a quality transmitter at a reasonable price and i still use mine all the time for buddy boxing. Im just not a fan of using a phone to change the settings, i wish it just had a simple menu is all. I can see it being frustrating for someone new to the hobby.

Taildragger

Legendary member
True, but I tend to preach the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. Don't get me wrong, i like the fact that its a quality transmitter at a reasonable price and i still use mine all the time for buddy boxing. Im just not a fan of using a phone to change the settings, i wish it just had a simple menu is all. I can see it being frustrating for someone new to the hobby.
I wish I could use the buy once, cry once, but I made $250 total this summer so for me its just not practical, and since I plan on using spektrum txs in the future, getting the dxe means I get the recievers i will use when I upgrade

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Can find DXe's on Ebay for 20 bucks, thats hard to beat. I sure understand that. I used to go to the rc field by my grandmothers house when i was young. Always wanted to get into RC planes but i wasn't able to afford the hobby myself until i was a grown man about 3 careers later lol.

Curious @Taildragger, why are you choosing DXe over Opentx? You could still run Spektrum recievers that way from my understanding. I dont know much about OpenTx myself but i do see a lot of proponents for it that seem to like them. For me, aside from just starting with spektrum initially, I feel like I have enough things to program and fiddle with already so i want my radio simple and reliable.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Can find DXe's on Ebay for 20 bucks, thats hard to beat. I sure understand that. I used to go to the rc field by my grandmothers house when i was young. Always wanted to get into RC planes but i wasn't able to afford the hobby myself until i was a grown man about 3 careers later lol.

Curious @Taildragger, why are you choosing DXe over Opentx? You could still run Spektrum recievers that way from my understanding. I dont know much about OpenTx myself but i do see a lot of proponents for it that seem to like them. For me, aside from just starting with spektrum initially, I feel like I have enough things to program and fiddle with already so i want my radio simple and reliable.
programming, and I didn't learn about opentx until a few months after i got the dxe

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I have a dx6e, but my parents bought me a apprentice rtf, so I now have both a dx6e and a dxs, which I use so another member at my club can buddy box me, but they took away even the using a phone to change the settings on the dxs, unlike the dxe, so its jsut stuck in the preprogrammed apprentice settings.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I have a dx6e, but my parents bought me a apprentice rtf, so I now have both a dx6e and a dxs, which I use so another member at my club can buddy box me, but they took away even the using a phone to change the settings on the dxs, unlike the dxe, so its jsut stuck in the preprogrammed apprentice settings.
actually its the same as a dxe, program with phone or computer, but you need a special cable
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMBT1000