Hughes H-1 w/ Racing Wings

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Can't wait to build one. Following this thread. Hope all goes well.

I know we got a little off topic toward the end here.... Which plane are you following? The Hughes H-1 is basically done except for a few tweaks on the plans. If you are wanting to build that one, I'll finish those up for you. If its another plane, then it might be a while longer. :)

jayz 84

I know we got a little off topic toward the end here.... Which plane are you following? The Hughes H-1 is basically done except for a few tweaks on the plans. If you are wanting to build that one, I'll finish those up for you. If its another plane, then it might be a while longer. :)

Haha now when do we not get off topic about diff builds. But the H-1 is on my future build list

JohnRambozo

Haha now when do we not get off topic about diff builds. But the H-1 is on my future build list

Getting off topic is half.. maybe 1/3rd of the fun right after building and flying. I'm going to fly it again today with hopefully proper CG and report back. With the wings so far forward and the cockpit pretty far to the rear (to account for the weight of the huge radial engine in the original) the leverage for proper balance is minimal... If that made sense.

I guess that really means its going to take a lot to get overly nose heavy but even a little tail heavy can mean its a lot tail heavy. I'm glad I talked that out. :) I'm going to put the battery all the way to the front then back it off a little at a time. I should have it all set by spring. ;)

I'm glad to hear its on your build list, jayz. I'll get the plans finalized soon, I swear. Been a little distracted as of late... plus the weather has been terrible for flying.

jayz 84

Getting off topic is half.. maybe 1/3rd of the fun right after building and flying. I'm going to fly it again today with hopefully proper CG and report back. With the wings so far forward and the cockpit pretty far to the rear (to account for the weight of the huge radial engine in the original) the leverage for proper balance is minimal... If that made sense.

I guess that really means its going to take a lot to get overly nose heavy but even a little tail heavy can mean its a lot tail heavy. I'm glad I talked that out. :) I'm going to put the battery all the way to the front then back it off a little at a time. I should have it all set by spring. ;)

I'm glad to hear its on your build list, jayz. I'll get the plans finalized soon, I swear. Been a little distracted as of late... plus the weather has been terrible for flying.

That sounds good man. Just be easy with the nose weight on the bird. Fly carefully. One bad turn will bring you down fast. And its no rush man i got so many builds im tring to get into place myself. I really wanna get back to the rare bear and try my hand at the AT-6

JohnRambozo

That sounds good man. Just be easy with the nose weight on the bird. Fly carefully. One bad turn will bring you down fast. And its no rush man i got so many builds im tring to get into place myself. I really wanna get back to the rare bear and try my hand at the AT-6

Oh you don't have to tell me.. I've already done that once. Turned hard expecting the motor to keep her going and lost power at the same time. Dropped out of sight instantly behind the trees into a baseball field. haha.

When I stop and think about it, I really want to design my own plane from scratch using some of my favorite elements from different planes. I know that's dangerous territory but it would be a blast to have a unique scale-looking design.

I'd love to see your designs flying, too when you finally have the time.

jayz 84

Oh you don't have to tell me.. I've already done that once. Turned hard expecting the motor to keep her going and lost power at the same time. Dropped out of sight instantly behind the trees into a baseball field. haha.

When I stop and think about it, I really want to design my own plane from scratch using some of my favorite elements from different planes. I know that's dangerous territory but it would be a blast to have a unique scale-looking design.

I'd love to see your designs flying, too when you finally have the time.

Build your own design man. Where could you go wrong. Just get the cg right and enough power. Your set. Allways know with enough power and proper guidance anything will fly lol in my case the more power the better/funner;)

JohnRambozo

Build your own design man. Where could you go wrong. Just get the cg right and enough power. Your set. Allways know with enough power and proper guidance anything will fly lol in my case the more power the better/funner;)

I think you're right about that. It will be a good winter project. i can't wait to see what I come up with. ;)

I have great news to report on the H-1. Moving the battery up to about a half inch from the front of the pod took care of the cg problems. It flies like an H-1 with racing wings. Fast. The short wings make it a little tricky for me to get oriented at a distance but all went well. 2 great flights and 2 perfect landings! I'm very happy. I'll officially proclaim it a success. :)

I'll be sure to mark the proper CG when I update the plans. Its on the very front-most edge of the first airfoil bend.

Last edited:

jayz 84

I think you're right about that. It will be a good winter project. i can't wait to see what I come up with. ;)

I have great news to report on the H-1. Moving the battery up to about a half inch from the front of the pod took care of the cg problems. It flies like an H-1 with racing wings. Fast. The short wings make it a little tricky for me to get oriented at a distance but all went well. 2 great flights and 2 perfect landings! I'm very happy. I'll officially proclaim it a success. :)

I'll be sure to mark the proper CG when I update the plans. Its on the very front-most edge of the first airfoil bend.

Thats great man glad to hear it went well

JohnRambozo

For those that forgot about the H-1, I got together with my dad and uncle yesterday for a perfect fall day of flying. They fly balsa hand-toss gliders. They showed me some tricks to free flight gliding and I demoed my Hughes H-1. My uncle snapped some pretty nice pics.

YJ10jJm.jpg

aZclgZE.jpg

JohnRambozo

Thanks, man. I'm still itching to build something new, but with the inevitable cold weather upon us, I probably won't get a chance to fly again until spring. :(

jayz 84

Thanks, man. I'm still itching to build something new, but with the inevitable cold weather upon us, I probably won't get a chance to fly again until spring. :(

Yeah you guys up north wont have much luck with the weather. Me im lucky to see the 30s down here at night time other then that just windy most of the time. But hey thatll give you time to design and build new planes

JohnRambozo

Yeah you guys up north wont have much luck with the weather. Me im lucky to see the 30s down here at night time other then that just windy most of the time. But hey thatll give you time to design and build new planes

That would be nice to have flying weather year-round, but such is life in the Northeast. I could take the time to actually finish the plans for this plane. I've been neglecting doing just a few finishing touches on the plans.

I'm going to suggest having a fixed v.stab. The rudder is really useless and the extra servo just adds weight.

One thing I noticed, if you drop it on its tail while being clumsy, the aft section sticking out past the control surfaces is really strong and absorbs the impact. haha.

jayz 84

That would be nice to have flying weather year-round, but such is life in the Northeast. I could take the time to actually finish the plans for this plane. I've been neglecting doing just a few finishing touches on the plans.

I'm going to suggest having a fixed v.stab. The rudder is really useless and the extra servo just adds weight.

One thing I noticed, if you drop it on its tail while being clumsy, the aft section sticking out past the control surfaces is really strong and absorbs the impact. haha.

Ya i dident think that small rudder would do much. Me i dont really think about using it except on my 3d bipe. So i just never add them. I am tho putting it on the MXS-R trying for a fast stunt plane with balls lol. And thats great the tail section came out strong. I try to make sure thats one for my strongest areas. Which ill be making sure i do on the rare bear cause its ad on mod has the extended tail section

JohnRambozo

Ya i dident think that small rudder would do much. Me i dont really think about using it except on my 3d bipe. So i just never add them. I am tho putting it on the MXS-R trying for a fast stunt plane with balls lol. And thats great the tail section came out strong. I try to make sure thats one for my strongest areas. Which ill be making sure i do on the rare bear cause its ad on mod has the extended tail section

I'd love a 3d bipe. Maybe that's what I should do next. The rudder is fun on the spitfire but its moderately aerobatic. I try to knife edge it, but it doesn't quite hold elevation on its side. I do like to do hammerheads with the spit, though. The momentum of the rear servos in the standard design really whips the tail around.