Hughes H-1 w/ Racing Wings

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
I'd love a 3d bipe. Maybe that's what I should do next. The rudder is fun on the spitfire but its moderately aerobatic. I try to knife edge it, but it doesn't quite hold elevation on its side. I do like to do hammerheads with the spit, though. The momentum of the rear servos in the standard design really whips the tail around.

Yeah the spitfire is the only one that has a great rudder to do anything besides the ft3d in the Ft line up. But you need a bit of power and speed to knife edge that bird. Me i love bi planes i have two store bought one CAM00292-1.jpg hobbykings hyper bip that i repainted
CAM00229-1.jpg And my free wing sport bi plane that dose crazy tricks and pushes 85 stock its a little monster. That one i plan to do a swappable build of soon

JohnRambozo

Wow. Those look like really fun planes. That's a lot of aileron surface area! I bet it rolls like crazy. Any video of these in the air?

jayz 84

Wow. Those look like really fun planes. That's a lot of aileron surface area! I bet it rolls like crazy. Any video of these in the air?

I have one video of the hyper bipe on my old galaxy s2 phone that i used for the hat cam i made(which works great.) But i dident have a sim card in it and was having a hard time upload it off the phone but i have one in it now and will be doing some soon. But yes they do roll fast. The freewing can be crazy fast do to its power. The 3d hyper bipe is pretty quick but lacks the power(plan to upgrade to a better motor soon)

JohnRambozo

Great looking H-1 build. Looks like a challenge to fly fast. I'd like to try it. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

Thank you. Its exciting for sure. With the standard 'beef' setup and a 9x6E prop, even at 50% throttle it will go straight up as long as you want to. Its not aerobatic, but its not supposed to be. Roll rate is crazy even with the tiny ailerons but a split-S needs a lot of room. I just love speeding around turns like a Reno racer. If you think you might build it, I'll go ahead an finish the plans. I've been dragging my feet on that because nobody is pressuring me. ;)

JohnRambozo

I have one video of the hyper bipe on my old galaxy s2 phone that i used for the hat cam i made(which works great.) But i dident have a sim card in it and was having a hard time upload it off the phone but i have one in it now and will be doing some soon. But yes they do roll fast. The freewing can be crazy fast do to its power. The 3d hyper bipe is pretty quick but lacks the power(plan to upgrade to a better motor soon)

That's too bad, but as long as you had fun. Its all about the moment. The 6-8 minutes of pure joy. ;)

I bet you could convert the FT 3D to a bipe.

I'm noticing how thin the wings are on your Sport. I guess you don't need much lift when you have that much wing.

jayz 84

Thank you. Its exciting for sure. With the standard 'beef' setup and a 9x6E prop, even at 50% throttle it will go straight up as long as you want to. Its not aerobatic, but its not supposed to be. Roll rate is crazy even with the tiny ailerons but a split-S needs a lot of room. I just love speeding around turns like a Reno racer. If you think you might build it, I'll go ahead an finish the plans. I've been dragging my feet on that because nobody is pressuring me. ;)

Finish the damn plans allready lol just kidding, no really lol. And do you have a watt metter? You might be able to to pull off with less prop and more pitch some more speed on 3s ;) like a 8x7 or 8x8

jayz 84

That's too bad, but as long as you had fun. Its all about the moment. The 6-8 minutes of pure joy. ;)

I bet you could convert the FT 3D to a bipe.

I'm noticing how thin the wings are on your Sport. I guess you don't need much lift when you have that much wing.

Its only a 30in WS bipe and there a half inch thick just like the wings nic and i build( speed wing) that plane is what gave me the idea on making them thinner and ask nic about trying it out so he did it on the mig 3 and i tested it on my bf 109( which i need to finish lol) and im building all my planes with that style wing from now on. And ill be doing many vids soon as long as the weather allows

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Yes finish them when you can. Eager to try this out with racing wings and standard wing also. Should be interesting to have in my hangar. Classic. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

JohnRambozo

Yes finish them when you can. Eager to try this out with racing wings and standard wing also. Should be interesting to have in my hangar. Classic. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

That's great to hear you're interested. I'll put some time into finalizing the plans over the next day or two. I'll add scale cross-country wings as an option and as I mentioned above, I'll be removing the rudder servo and just making a fixed vertical stabilizer. Its pretty useless and the servo just adds unnecessary weight. I'll also include the shapes for my canopy. I made it with the flat parts (top and bottom) of a strawberry container from the grocery store.

A nose cone would increase the speed but the original never had one and I prefer something close to the scale look. I just have to design a new plane to put a cone on. Any excuse, right?

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

I just wanted to check in. I have been working on finishing up the plans. I forgot how many small adjustments I made that didn't make it onto paper. Rest assured, I am making progress and will have the finals posted soon.

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

How are the plans going. No rush. It's flying season here in AZ. So plenty of bird to bash. Hoping to have this one to showcase. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

JohnRambozo

Hey ClearSkiesCalmWinds,

I'm hoping to make some good progress this weekend. Like I said, I made the mistake of adjusting the design without updating the plans, so I'm having to work backwards a bit. I just want to make sure everything is good to go before I release the final plans so you don't run into any problems.

I wish it was flying season here in the Northeast. Its freezing or windy, or raining and snowing or some combination of all of those.

Is it ever NOT flying season in AZ?

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

We're spoiled in that regard. Just have to adjust for summer builds, little to no hot glue:( So I use Foam Tac then. Slower building. I'm originally fron Jersey. Feel your pain. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

jayz 84

Hey ClearSkiesCalmWinds,

I'm hoping to make some good progress this weekend. Like I said, I made the mistake of adjusting the design without updating the plans, so I'm having to work backwards a bit. I just want to make sure everything is good to go before I release the final plans so you don't run into any problems.

I wish it was flying season here in the Northeast. Its freezing or windy, or raining and snowing or some combination of all of those.

Is it ever NOT flying season in AZ?

I think we all feel you on the weather man... ive had the same thing diwn here beside the snow lol.. but i havent been out to fly in over 3weeks. Would sure be nice to fly year round

JohnRambozo

Hope you had a great and safe holiday. How are the devolpment plans going for the H-1? Hope they are still progressing.

I haven't forgotten about you. My only real hesitation is that the cold weather is keeping me from testing the cross-country wings. I can design them but I hate to release untested plans.

The short wings are fun if you like fast, but with the amount of work that goes into this one (I'd say intermediate level commitment to the build) I feel like it needs a disclaimer. The landing speed really takes a toll on the plane. So far I've twisted the aluminum motor mount, ripping it out of the firewall. I had to hammer it back flat.

Having said that, I'm confident the longer wings will make a big difference in the flight envelope. I still don't love the idea of releasing a design without knowing how it will fly.

I also want to fix the rudder in place and remove one servo but I have to be able to fly to find the cg again after I do that. It will save some weight and the rudder doesn't really do much at the moment.

Thoughts?

JohnRambozo

Thanks for the update. It's been a joy just following the thread. Between you and Nick, you guys make this community bunches of fun.

Well, that's quite a compliment to be thrown in with Nic. That's great to hear you're enjoying it. I really do want to finish it. Maybe I will do the longer wings and try sneak in a test flight. We're expecting mid to low 30s for the next week or so.

Do you want the rudder? I've honestly never had a use for it on this plane.

I'll leave the cut marks on the plans and indicate that its optional.

JohnRambozo

Rudder for just in case. To help keep your design complete. That weather is a bear up there. Sunny and mild 73 in AZ. Thanks again for the big wing also.

I'll be sure to keep the rudder, then.

Sadly, I have started thinking 30 feels pretty comfortable. I was brushing snow off my car before work thinking, Its pretty nice out today... :/

If you want the plane to last, you'll want the big wing. The roll rate on the racing wing is insane. It handles great once you get used to it and flying on that tiny wing just looks cool. But you have to fly fast, you have to react fast and you have to land fast... which is where it gets tricky.

Belly landing at that speed on short grass wears on the belly. Doing it in medium to tall grass ripped the motor out of the firewall when the prop snagged on the grass and spun the plane.

One thing I will say is since the fuse and wings are about the same length, it cartwheels like an actual wheel, doing almost no damage. :)