Votes: 7 20.0%
  • German

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Swedish

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

Flyingshark

Master member
What tutorials did you use to design planes? I'm hoping to make something in PlaneMaker over the winter, so I'm in the "gathering knowledge" stage. :)
Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Yeah I totally agree. I would love to design in fusion, but it’s a large learning curve. A couple videos on how to do it would be amazing!

I'll make a tutorial as soon as I start exporting skins and get all that figured out... a lot could go wrong, and I'm still learning Fusion, and haven't tried MeshMixer yet, but I'll get to it within the next week. (hopefully) If I don't, then overwhelm this thread asking me for one until I do.

Fusion isn't that hard if you cut out all the stuff that isn't needed to make planes. When I started, I watched this video:

it's a little old, but it still works. Make sure to follow every step exactly. In one part, i think an update caused an error for me, but a quick google search of the error message will probably have the solution (I think there actually was one in the comments section of the video)

Here's the tutorial I watched When I started Blender, for those who are interested:

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
What tutorials did you use to design planes? I'm hoping to make something in PlaneMaker over the winter, so I'm in the "gathering knowledge" stage. :)
Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

I watched this:
(be warned that I never actually made a functioning plane in it. i just wanted to see what it was.)
Blender has this really cool XPlane addon where it can export 3d models directly into the plane, all from Blender. I'd try it out if you are looking to make a more detailed plane.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
I watched this: (be warned that I never actually made a functioning plane in it. i just wanted to see what it was.)
Blender has this really cool XPlane addon where it can export 3d models directly into the plane, all from Blender. I'd try it out if you are looking to make a more detailed plane.
Yeah, I've heard about that. I think it's called Blender2XPlane or something. There's one for Sketchup too. Making textures is probably gonna be tricky though.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Yeah, I've heard about that. I think it's called Blender2XPlane or something. There's one for Sketchup too. Making textures is probably gonna be tricky though.

Textures are tough. I'd UV unwrap the model in Blender, and draw the wings on in Gimp. Then import the texture into blender and use that. Make sure to adjust the roughness and other values to get it exactly how you want it.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I watched this:
(be warned that I never actually made a functioning plane in it. i just wanted to see what it was.)

I forgot to put the video in it! :ROFLMAO:

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I started in the nacelles. I'm not using the regular power pod because it's some weird width (something like 5.43 in) so it won't be swappable.
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 2.57.59 PM.png

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Oh, cool! For strength, that's definitely better than a swappable-power-pod-type arrangement. :)

yeah, this way I can directly glue the power pod to the wing, and also run lots of BBQ skewers through the wing and the pod. It'll be a lot better for structural strength. I never liked how when I crashed my simple cub the swappable design made it relatively weak.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I made the cutouts in the nacelles...

Golly! You'd think it'd be easier. For each part, I had to perform a separate boolean operation on (which means 20+ times) to get the cutouts.

(a boolean operation is where you take away the area that one object shares with another)
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 7.18.15 AM.png