Mastering RC Tailwheel Takeoffs & Landings – Taught by a Full Scale & RC Instructor

zdsweet

Check out our newest fun educational RC flying videos on tailwheel takeoffs and landings. Our goal is to truly show that full scale tailwheel techniques *DO* work at the RC scale and are fun to utilize! Fly outside the box.

In the takeoff video, we cover; tailwheel ground ops 101, types of tailwheel takeoffs (tail up and tail down), the common errors associated with each takeoff procedure, mechanical vs. aerodynamic steering, left turning tendencies, reduced power takeoffs, the types of planes best suited for each takeoff style, and fun tailwheel ground practice tips.

What are your favorite tailwheel takeoff techniques?

In the landings video, we cover; wheel landings, 3 point landings, when to use each, the common errors associated with each, the benefits of FORWARD PRESSURE, pros and cons to grass vs. pavement, and much more.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Watching this now. Not much more to say than Airkaos; really good video.
A lot of it boils down to: Taking a good look at how real planes fly. Do that. Practice.

zdsweet

Really good video.@zdsweet

Not much more to say than Airkaos; really good video.
A lot of it boils down to: Taking a good look at how real planes fly. Do that. Practice.

Thanks, folks! You got it. We want to see people in the RC community really begin to dig deeper into challenging themselves to fly outside the box and do things like giving DOWN elevator on the ground with tailwheel airplanes when their tail is up. Seeing the lightbulb go off for this example, among many others that aren't ever really taught in the RC world - is really rewarding. Happy landings!

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
Thanks, folks! You got it. We want to see people in the RC community really begin to dig deeper into challenging themselves to fly outside the box and do things like giving DOWN elevator on the ground with a tailwheel when their tail is up. Seeing the lightbulb go off for this example, among many others that aren't ever really taught in the RC world - is really rewarding. Happy landings!
I always hold down elevator while taxiing to avoid nosing over.

zdsweet

I always hold down elevator while taxiing to avoid nosing over.

That's a different topic than what I was referencing - but you are correct in doing this. You meant UP elevator, or BACK pressure while taxiing. What I was referencing above in my prior post is about tail up takeoffs, not taxiing. When you apply takeoff power and your tail comes up on the takeoff roll while your two main gear are still on the ground, you need to apply DOWN elevator aka FORWARD pressure to keep the mains planted as you accelerate. Give it a shot!

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
That's a different topic than what I was referencing - but you are correct in doing this. You meant UP elevator, or BACK pressure while taxiing. What I was referencing above in my prior post is about tail up takeoffs, not taxiing. When you apply takeoff power and your tail comes up on the takeoff roll while your two main gear are still on the ground, you need to apply DOWN elevator aka FORWARD pressure to keep the mains planted as you accelerate. Give it a shot!
thats really cool actually. I never noticed but I kinda do that subconsciously on takeoffs, use forward pressure and then once I have the speed I want I rotate up by going just past neutral on the stick. cool stuff! (y)

zdsweet

Just updated the original post and added our video to compliment the first: tailwheel landings. Hope everyone finds these concepts helpful and can take them and practice flying utilizing the tips! Happy landings!

cyclone3350

Master member
When I went for my commercial check ride, I did the complex requirement in a Cessna 177RG. For the maneuvers, this was done in a J3. I then went on to fly tailwheels professionally (power line/ pipeline patrol, banner towing) That was many many moons ago. When I took up RC, tailwheels haven't been much of an issue once I mastered how to transfer hand & feet to the thumbs. That was until I bought the E-flite 25E Super Cub. 3 out of 5 TO's & LNDG's only turn out to be what I wanted while the other 2 put a bald spot from scratching my head. Now I think I know why. Never thought about keeping the tai wheel within the width of the main gear, & for some reason, I've always thought that U would want to put the back end down quickly, albeit smoothly, on a wheel landing. I guess an old guy can learn learn something new. Thanks for sharing(y)

zdsweet

Never thought about keeping the tai wheel within the width of the main gear, & for some reason, I've always thought that U would want to put the back end down quickly, albeit smoothly, on a wheel landing.

That's what is so great about flying in general - always room for improvement and more learning! Glad the learning experiences in both RC & full scale we shared helped. Here's a fun clip of a flight in my bird from a couple summers ago, bet you'd enjoy it with your background in flying!

cyclone3350

Master member

zdsweet

Back in the early 60's my father got his SES rating in a 8F on floats. He rented them somewhere south of JFK. Hard to believe something like that actually existed.

Nice! The 8E I learned on had float fittings. Would have been cool to see it in action on the water! Cheers

Bo123

Elite member
Nice. I'll use these to learn my h-king piper cub, as I don't want to break it again!

zdsweet

are you the guy behind RedDevilSquadron?

Yesir! Tail Heavy Productions is a new passion project between my buddy Ben (a fellow pilot and talented videographer/video editor), and myself. I may still post various stuff to RedDevilSquadron from time to time but most of my efforts are going into writing & recording scripts and flying/filming for Tail Heavy Productions.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Yesir! Tail Heavy Productions is a new passion project between my buddy Ben (a fellow pilot and talented videographer/video editor), and myself. I may still post various stuff to RedDevilSquadron from time to time but most of my efforts are going into writing & recording scripts and flying/filming for Tail Heavy Productions.
My buddy loves you guys' stuff on reddevil (especially the 3D flying with the timber)