Mikey's FPV v3 Scratch Build

carlocivicsi

Great episode but I'm stuck in the build because in Wills plans the rudder is completly different and the motor sits further to the front. I've already made the prop hole 5 inches further back in the top wing like will explained in another video but i would like to build my rudder like the flite test video.

do you guys have any way of sharing that upgrade? please...... any links to pdf's??? because of the plane I've bought an gopro 2 and the hobbyking Predator goggles with camera and everything ready to go. (I'm going to feed the fpv through the gopro)
so as you can see I've spent quite a bit and i don't wanna get stuck cause i can't finish the rudder part. any help will be greatly appreciated.

KEEP THE FPV VIDEOS COMING. :D

firenice

I am building the Micky's FPV v3 with Josh's tweaks. I am waiting for Hobby Kings backorders so I can finish. The Dollar Tree foamboard is not too compatible with water. I wonder what revisions would be necessary to help it survive a water crash landing. I live on a lake. Can the foam board be sealed? Is Depron waterproof? Would It have enough bouyancy with a FPV camera on board?

Stefan Pavelka

How much does your construction weight, without electronics ? I don't have the exact foam that you suggest so I have to improvise.

Zach Scott

I am building the Micky's FPV v3 with Josh's tweaks. I am waiting for Hobby Kings backorders so I can finish. The Dollar Tree foamboard is not too compatible with water. I wonder what revisions would be necessary to help it survive a water crash landing. I live on a lake. Can the foam board be sealed? Is Depron waterproof? Would It have enough bouyancy with a FPV camera on board?

Check out this guys channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ExperimentalAirlines

he uses packing tape to seal his. Seems like it would work pretty well.

Derrick_Miller

Another great video, I have a suggestion to ease electronics installation... Flip the motor around so that it is a tractor rather than a pusher then mount all of the electronics behind the propeller, no servo extensions needed.

Edit: Added some pictures and triangular support to front.

After the maiden flight yesterday, I also noticed that the front of the plane tended to twist (likley because I used blue foam for construction, it isn't as stiff as the foam board), so I added some triangular supports to take the torsional load and get rid of the twisting.
IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG

Last edited:

Fierce

here is mine. Been flown a few dozen times. What a ball to fly. This thing does rolling circles!

I attached a keychain cam to it & have some video to edit. I'll get it up soon. I'm working on getting someone to video it in flight.

IMGA0717.JPG IMGA0716.JPG IMGA0720.JPG IMGA0721.JPG

Derrick, I like how you opted out of the pusher configuration, wish I had thought of that.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Derrick - Would be interesting to see what would happen to that FPV antenna if it got in the prop mid-air!

Todd K

Prop Cut out

I also wanted to know how far from the back of the top wing is the prop cut out. Thx! Great stuff.

Rcplaneguy

Minnesota Flyer
Hello all, a friend and I made this plane and the nose is kind of flimsy. We want to mount his GoPro on the nose but don't know which way to do it, we are also using the GoPro for fpv. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
~ Sam

TimmyTooTall

Hello all, a friend and I made this plane and the nose is kind of flimsy. We want to mount his GoPro on the nose but don't know which way to do it, we are also using the GoPro for fpv. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
~ Sam

Not exactly sure what you're asking for, but the plans do include two struts to help support the weight of the GoPro. Josh takes another approach and puts a nice piece of foam underneath to cushion the blow. I found the strips were sufficient as the plane is generally somewhat tail-heavy and rarely lands on it's nose ... that and it flies about as fast as my 1 year walks. For the actual mounting, I just made sure to cover the area where you're going to mount the GoPro in packing tape, put down a heavy amount of hot glue and just drop the mount down and press. I've never had the camera come close to falling off after 10-14 flights. Speaking of flights, here's my most recent:

Norway_Ulrik

My hot glue gun melts deporon... Does that mean it's too hot? I had another one (which exploded... Im not kidding) and it wasn't as hot, didn't melt depron as much but didn't glue as good...

This plane does not build with Depron. But it does build with Foam from i.g. the dollar tree store

Last edited:

crazy_m0nkey

Nearly completed my first scratch build...thanks for the inspiration to have a crack at this FliteTest!! Those stick mounts were out of stock which held me up a bit so I custom built this motor mount instead which will hopefully do the trick. Just have to glue the tail in and put on the electrics and pushrods etc and with any luck this weekend it flies!

FPVV3.JPG motor_mount.JPG

John Campbell

Nearly completed my first scratch build...thanks for the inspiration to have a crack at this FliteTest!! Those stick mounts were out of stock which held me up a bit so I custom built this motor mount instead which will hopefully do the trick. Just have to glue the tail in and put on the electrics and pushrods etc and with any luck this weekend it flies!

Looking good, and want to see some good video from it as well.

freeups

Building this as my first Scratch built place. Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I purchased the Motor the Flitetest parts list and also the Props.

How exactly do these connect together. The part (Silver Bullet Looking thig) that comes with the motor is too thick. I tried to put the prop on directly but the whole is too small. Is there a part I am missing or am I supposed to drill the hole in the prop bigger.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Freeups, just drill a hile as straight as you can. You might need to sand a bit on one side of the center of the prop. Put the unsanded side towards the motor, so it sits straight.

John Campbell

As Colorex says, Drill it. I use a drill press and a vice to keep it straight, and hopefully centered... If you drill, make sure that you balance the prop.

I'm building mine right now. Does anybody know how far back the Flitetest guys mounted their motor? Also, Does anybody know which motor mount they used? Is it this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5307__HXT_Alloy_Composite_Stick_Mount_20mm.html

Does it come with wood? (for the stick mount)

Would it fit these motor, and which would be better for long slow FPV flights on a 3s:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14737__Turnigy_L2215J_900_Brushless_Motor_200w_.html

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17345__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_28_26A_1200kv_250w.html

Sorry for soooooo many questions. I'm just trying to get my build off the ground ;) (nice pun eh?)

Last edited:

teflyer

Full Circle
yup. I think that is the stick mount firewall conversion piece. It does not come with the wood, you will need to buy that yourself. and the Motor should be able to fit.

yup. I think that is the stick mount firewall conversion piece. It does not come with the wood, you will need to buy that yourself. and the Motor should be able to fit.

"At your local hardware store" right? ;)

Sounds just like something Will (founder and owner of Mikey's rc) would make me do!