Mikey's FPV v3 Scratch Build

charui

Complete noob here. I do not see any discussion on the TX/RX, except a couple of mention of "Spektrum". Original MikeysRC videos show also a Spektrum radio. Is it not possible to fly this thing with my Turnigy 9X and a matching RX? I am aware that these two are different. But how they are different, I do not know.

Thanks.

martinlmtl

Strange design but really nice flying plane

Just to share my experience, I built one with Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor using a Master Airscrew propeller 10x5, and Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC.

I'm using an old (around 100 discharge) Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack and can fly between 12 minutes of relax flight (around 15% of full throttle). After landing, I can confirm the motor and speed controller are barely hot.

The weight ready to fly is 860 gram (it's not painted yet) and I can confirm I can do unlimited vertical climbing. This plane is really aggressive when flying at full throttle; at least too much for a beginner... But on low throttle it's amazing at what slow speed it can fly.

As long as I can say, this plane is very easy to build and very well worth it. The only downside is you must put your battery at far front to balance the CG of plane if you don't put a camera for fpv. I'm eager to receive my splitter cable to be able to fly this plane with two battery in parallel to double flying times.

Sun Dog

martinlmtl

Can you see post #62?

Yes I can now see it.

Just to correct things after many consecutive flight, I must admit the motor is hot (can't stay my finger on it for long) if I fly it with full throttle for a long time or if I fly it without a pause between batteries. I tried a 9x6 propeller but after a couple of flight, It's not better; maybe a little worse. With a 9x6. the motor should spin faster to have the same thrust. Going back to a 10x5. I'll order a 10x4.7 just to stay on safe side (to not burn the motor).

SWadofEL

Hey guys, I ran across this build a few weeks ago, and have started working on it. Trying to keep this as cheap as possible, I'm going to attempt to mount an old Android phone (DroidX) and use my wifi from my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone to broadcast that video into a Google Hangout. Any thoughts on limitations before I start testing? I honestly don't know how far the wifi will reach from my phone, but I guess we'll see. I've attempted to set up my Galaxy S3 as an internet source for my ASUS wireless router with the intention of having a stronger signal, but so far I've been unsuccessful.

The "I'll try this after I've mastered several flight hours" plan is to actually insert my Galaxy S3 and broadcast over 4G. I've built the plane around this plan, and that's my ultimate goal. The next step is to purchase the electronics for this project in the next week or so, but I've already built the plane.

1024x768.fpv v3.jpg

SWadofEL

Any communication to the DroidX would have to be wifi, whether it was Google Hangout or Skype, because I have no phone service or data plan on that phone. If I used my Galaxy S3 in the plane, that would transmit over 4G, which would eliminate the need for wifi altogether. But that's way down the road. I guess it might be possible to USB tether my Galaxy S3 to a laptop, and share internet out to the ASUS wireless router. But I'm not giving up just yet on directly attaching the S3 to the ASUS. The less equipment I can use, the better.

iCrash

My FPV 3

Hey guys,
I did a Mikey's FPV 3 also. It's a cool build! but it hasn't left the ground yet. :( I'm too afraid to hand launch it and watch it hit the ground, so I'm trying to retro-fit landing gear until I understand how well it flies. Hopefully it will maiden in the next week or so when I have the time.

1235341_10201164448569968_1716035722_n.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Icrash,

If you're afraid the plane won't fly, then why would you trust expensive FPV gear on it? It's a good plane! Let it earn your trust!

If you're feeling timid about it (I've been there), load out all but the FPV gear, balance, power it up, and in a grass field, give it a hard toss aimed just above the horizon.

If it crashes, you've gotten that out of the way and haven't hurt your FPV gear. That, and you've just built it, who knows better than you how to fix it!

With the large wing area on it, this plane should glide beautifully unloaded. glide it a time or two until you feel like it should fly, then 1/2 throttle the motor, give it a toss and fly!

iCrash

I have no FPV gear at this time. The plan is to mount landing gear on the bottom and have two batteries on the front to keep good COG. I built it to learn how to fly, though I've probably already increased my skill level on a few other planes already. I plan to purchase FPV gear in 2014 and this will be the first platform for the FPV. By then I'll be quite familiar with how well the plane flies. The landing gear will be done sometime next week. I just didn't have the time to get it finished for this weekend.

Thanks for the encouragement! I know in my head it should fly. I also know all the time I put into it. LOL I won't fear tossing it once I know how well it handles. I may leave the gear on it for the fun of take off and landings.

If I toss it for the maiden flight with doubt in my head, am I throwing caution to the wind? ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Probably not with this plane. There is a ton of wing area that keeps loading light. If you are truly worried, find a largish area with some taller grass to cushion any funky landings. That's how I used to glide test all my 2M gliders. Never broke anything on a glide test that way.

okolloen

Hey guys,
I did a Mikey's FPV 3 also. It's a cool build! but it hasn't left the ground yet. :( I'm too afraid to hand launch it and watch it hit the ground, so I'm trying to retro-fit landing gear until I understand how well it flies. Hopefully it will maiden in the next week or so when I have the time.

I built the same plane about a month ago and was a bit nervous for the maiden flight (especially since I've read that giving it a lot of throttle at low speed could lead it to nose down.) No need to worry, it flies beautiful. It flies at such low speed that if you walk at a fast pace as you toss it, it will be flying before it leaves your hand. Mine needed a fair bit of up elevator to fly straight, more than what I could get from just the trim. Also, my mixing was a bit off so flying with a lot of up elevator meant I had very little roll control. Ended up flying with rudder only, but it rolls back to neutral very nicely after completing the turn so that's not a problem either.

The video is a combination of the maiden and the second flight. (MickeyRC is from 1.10 into the video.)

eagle4

Hey Lonker, welcome to the forums. I'm not sure what country you live in, but if you're in the US or Canada, you can go to pretty much any dollar store and by some foam board from their craft section. some people call it Dollar Tree Foam, cause its sold at the Dollar Tree in the US, but the brand is Adams Readi-board. Another brand is Elmers Foam Board, thats what my local dollar store sells.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
6mm Depron in the 1000mm by 750mm range will work quite well.
Just google 6mm depron, and you should have a couple of good options available.