Mikey's FPV v3 Scratch Build

John Campbell

Do you think the NTM 1200kv would be better or the Turnigy 900kv? Both are 200 watts on 3 cell.

I personally like the NTM a little better. Had a turnigy 1000KV and it would not produce hardly enough power to take off. NTM worked much better plus a few hundred more RPM to play with. IMHO

I personally like the NTM a little better. Had a turnigy 1000KV and it would not produce hardly enough power to take off. NTM worked much better plus a few hundred more RPM to play with. IMHO

Don't tempt me. I'm running out of spare foam board! ;)

I got the wings cut out. I tried cutting out the first set of wings with an old dull blade. Then I spent the next 30 minutes sanding. I then switched to a new blade, and the difference was night and day.

John Campbell

Don't tempt me. I'm running out of spare foam board! ;)

I got the wings cut out. I tried cutting out the first set of wings with an old dull blade. Then I spent the next 30 minutes sanding. I then switched to a new blade, and the difference was night and day.

Temptation... Me.... Never :rolleyes:.. I will assure you that a sharp blade will make all the difference in the world, and I have a finger to prove it :applause: I am glad I did it with a new blade... Just changed it and no cuts.... Except me of course...

Temptation... Me.... Never :rolleyes:.. I will assure you that a sharp blade will make all the difference in the world, and I have a finger to prove it :applause: I am glad I did it with a new blade... Just changed it and no cuts.... Except me of course...

hahaha! It did make all the difference. Now I've got to go to dollar tree and buy two more sheets of foam board, a wooden dowel rod, and some Popsicle sticks.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Sharp knives do make all the difference such as the difference between life and death and the neatness of a scratch build.

I'm back from raiding dollar tree (LOL) and I got 100 or so BBQ squers, 100 popsicle sticks, and 2 sheets of foam board to finish the rest of my plane. I will update as I go.

I think I'll head to Home Depot tomorrow to get my 3/16 wooden dowel rod, 1/16 galvanized steel, and extreem packing tape. I may use regular tape and go to my LHS since it is closer.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
I'm back from raiding dollar tree (LOL) and I got 100 or so BBQ squers, 100 popsicle sticks, and 2 sheets of foam board to finish the rest of my plane. I will update as I go.

I think I'll head to Home Depot tomorrow to get my 3/16 wooden dowel rod, 1/16 galvanized steel, and extreem packing tape. I may use regular tape and go to my LHS since it is closer.

Looking forward to that.

Got all of my stuff. Mine is styled after the Flitetest build.

Electronics are as follows:

3 Hitec HS-55's

1 LHS 20 amp ESC

1 LHS under powered motor (left over from my Mikey's rc Spitfire)

1 Spektrum park receiver

TimmyMac

Does anyone have build weights of their plane? With electronics? I can't seem to get mine in the air, 4 failed attempts. Just wondering if the foam board used is too heavy, the rest of the electronics are the same as FliteTest's build

Zach Scott

just built this plane but have been trying to figure out the electrics to finish it out. Is there an alternative to the park450 in the NTM line. They seem to be better motors. Any help would be great.

Sun Dog

Does anyone have build weights of their plane? With electronics? I can't seem to get mine in the air, 4 failed attempts. Just wondering if the foam board used is too heavy, the rest of the electronics are the same as FliteTest's build

Mine weighs in at about 1 3/4 pounds ready to fly, with paint, without battery. The first time i tried to fly, I had a 7x4 prop on it, as per Mikey's recommendation. It wouldn't climb. It climbed, weakly, with an 8x4. Now I have a 9x4.7, and it flies ok. I would put a 10 inch on, but the motor was feeling a little warm after flight. How warm is too warm? I'm new to flying.

Bolvon72

Mentor
If you can hold it comfortably it is fine, Best bet is a watt meter, it'll let you know if you're pulling too many amps. What motor are you running?

Sun Dog

I am actually pretty impressed you got it flying with that motor, it seems under-powered for this plane. A 10 inch is probably too much for it.

It's irritating that Flite Test recommended a motor that is too small. Yeah, it's very underpowered. Poor climb performance, poor handling in windy conditions. I'll look into getting a larger motor. Any recommendations?

According to the meter at the local hobby store, my plane's drawing about 15 amps. The hobby store guy said I would have no problem going up to a ten inch prop.

Bolvon72

Mentor
It's irritating that Flite Test recommended a motor that is too small. Yeah, it's very underpowered. Poor climb performance, poor handling in windy conditions. I'll look into getting a larger motor. Any recommendations?

According to the meter at the local hobby store, my plane's drawing about 15 amps. The hobby store guy said I would have no problem going up to a ten inch prop.

Actually FT recommends http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19035, which is quite a bit beefier than the 2822/17. I would be concerned about drawing 15 amps on that motor as the max current is 10 amps. I would think it more fitting for the 3 pack speedbuild kit.

Sun Dog

Actually FT recommends http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19035, which is quite a bit beefier than the 2822/17. I would be concerned about drawing 15 amps on that motor as the max current is 10 amps. I would think it more fitting for the 3 pack speedbuild kit.

I stand corrected. I remember now, I wanted to find an equivalent motor for less, but I didn't understand all the numbers. I still don't, really, but maybe I'll do better this time around. I have a list of motors that I think may work in my plane without having to swap out ESCs and stuff. If it wouldn't be an imposition, could someone take a look and tell me if any of these would work? Thanks in advance. :)

Holy crap inventory changes so fast at Hobby King. These two on my list are the only ones in stock at the USA warehouse now:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=23334

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=36716

Bolvon72

Mentor
They should both carry it fine, the Donkey can push more weight than the other, at least on paper, I haven't tried either of these. I would use no less than a 40 amp esc for the donkey and a 25 for the Turnigy. Good luck.