NASA AD-1 Oblique Wing

Pieliker96

Elite member
What angle did you max out on?
Your one of the few that understands and uses the differential aileron in the radio.
The real one went to 60, I'm running into the mechanical limits of the wing pivot at 65 degrees - I wanted maximum deflection for storage but that also had to be my max in-flight sweep angle due to mixing / switch restrictions.

With the wing swept, are you going to try a right turn?
I will eventually yeah - I've just been flying left-hand patterns due to the wind direction at that airfield on that day. Max wing sweep is still a little squirrely - I don't trust it in turns. This is probably due to the drastically decreased roll inertia with the wing swept and the visual confusion about which of the blades of the scissors you're flying.

cyclone3350

Master member
OMG! I am impressed. A: it flew extremely well in a conventional configuration and B: U got it to fly in the oblique configuration. Well done (y). For part B: I give U (y)(y)(y).(y)(y)X10-10th.Three point two likes times ten to the tenth power award.

L Edge

Master member
The real one went to 60, I'm running into the mechanical limits of the wing pivot at 65 degrees - I wanted maximum deflection for storage but that also had to be my max in-flight sweep angle due to mixing / switch restrictions.

I will eventually yeah - I've just been flying left-hand patterns due to the wind direction at that airfield on that day. Max wing sweep is still a little squirrely - I don't trust it in turns. This is probably due to the drastically decreased roll inertia with the wing swept and the visual confusion about which of the blades of the scissors you're flying.

Have you given any thoughts to a SR-71?

Pieliker96

Elite member
Finally got some on-board video with the wings swung, think it's a unique perspective

Annotation 2022-12-31 125128.png