Help! New project. DLG flying wing

Will it fly? I mean, will it glide?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • It will fly but it will be too heavy to glide properly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You'll need to add a motor to that thing.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't think it flies at all

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Piotrsko

Master member
I believe you need more rudder area like perhaps double what you have now. Part of the launch is moving from a circle to a straight line and wings do that poorly as they tend to skid sideways.
Leave both pegs in, won't hurt glide much. I like your peg mount solution it should work well.
Time to run system? On my AAA packs I get about an hour of aerobatic slope gliding, which is high servo use on old style 50 gram servos. I guess batteries are hard to buy cheaply where you're at.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I believe you need more rudder area like perhaps double what you have now. Part of the launch is moving from a circle to a straight line and wings do that poorly as they tend to skid sideways.

Thinking about add more rudder area... Look at the original plane, a DLG wing call Nani and mine. Mine has more rudder area than the original HobbyKing plane and almos as the Nani... I think it is ok this way, but of course, i am not sure. What do you think after seeing these images?
1111.jpg nani_182b.jpg 3.jpg

Leave both pegs in, won't hurt glide much. I like your peg mount solution it should work well.
OK, that is better than a swapable peg. I will glue one to each wing.

Time to run system? On my AAA packs I get about an hour of aerobatic slope gliding, which is high servo use on old style 50 gram servos. I guess batteries are hard to buy cheaply where you're at.
About an hour sounds incredibly great!!!! I will try to buy 3 AAA batteries to check if it works. Reguar non-rechargable AAA batteries are not so expensive, by the other hand rechargable batteries are not cheap at all. but if this works, i could buy at least 3 of them.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Guys I need some advices. I bought 3AAA batteries and I tested the RX with this so it works fine with one servos, but with 2 the servos, they jump sometimes. But it works fine I guess. Here is a video.
Will it work? Or it is too mush risk? Help please.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
the maximum voltage will be 4.5v (and probably lower) - there can be no damage but it is a marginal voltage without small servos.
Is this a Yes or no? :rolleyes: Should I use it? I prefer to sacrifice lightweight than put the whole thing in risks.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
It is almost done. The nose is glued in place and just left to attach the tail. Need to put the control horns and pushrods in place and also glue the servos.
1.jpg

Using the 3AAA holder it only weights 184g. Less than the 200g i was expecting. Insted, using the 3s 800mAh battery + 18A ESC + Battery checker is 255g.
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I made yesterday some short glide tests ( I threw it at my wife inside the room. It was slow enough for her to catch it. Even funny, she asked me to do it several times :LOL::LOL::LOL:). She also asked me to be her plane... so I have to decorate it in pink. :cool::p

It is almost done. The nose is glued in place and just left to attach the tail. Need to put the control horns and pushrods in place and also glue the servos.
View attachment 163322
Using the 3AAA holder it only weights 184g. Less than the 200g i was expecting. Insted, using the 3s 800mAh battery + 18A ESC + Battery checker is 255g.
View attachment 163323 View attachment 163324 View attachment 163325

I made yesterday some short glide tests ( I threw it at my wife inside the room. It was slow enough for her to catch it. Even funny, she asked me to do it several times :LOL::LOL::LOL:). She also asked me to be her plane... so I have to decorate it in pink. :cool::p
Looking excellent!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Another question I have.
Today I plan to bevel the elevons and I was thinking what would be the best option to increase glider performance.
The bevel should go on the bottom (1) of the control surface or on the top (2).
Sin nombre.png

The nani does it the "2" way. Any suggestions?
nani_159b.jpg nani_187b.jpg

Another question I have.
Today I plan to bevel the elevons and I was thinking what would be the best option to increase glider performance.
The bevel should go on the bottom (1) of the control surface or on the top (2).
View attachment 163334

The nani does it the "2" way. Any suggestions?
View attachment 163332 View attachment 163333

I'd put it on top, as in 1. Mechanically, it doesn't make a difference, but (I'm no physicist) its probably more important to keep the top of the aerofoil smooth as opposed to the bottom.