nnMiG 3 - 800mm

JakeTheSloth

Hello there fellow pilots. I'm thinking about building one of these, how should be motor facing? Straight or downward and right (with CCW rotating prop)? What angle is the dihedral? (I'm going to pre-add dihedral to spar so it'd be cool if it wasn't random

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hello there fellow pilots. I'm thinking about building one of these, how should be motor facing? Straight or downward and right (with CCW rotating prop)? What angle is the dihedral? (I'm going to pre-add dihedral to spar so it'd be cool if it wasn't random
I motor should face slightly down and to the right with a CCW prop. The Mig-3 was build with polyhedral, so the center section is flat and the wingtips angle up, but if you want to have dihedral, 3-4 degrees would work fine.

JakeTheSloth

I motor should face slightly down and to the right with a CCW prop. The Mig-3 was build with polyhedral, so the center section is flat and the wingtips angle up, but if you want to have dihedral, 3-4 degrees would work fine.
I know it's polyhedral ;) I just need to know at what angle should be wingtips set at apart from central section. I don't want to add another angle in the middle, it's not needed and will ruin the aircrafts scale look.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I know it's polyhedral ;) I just need to know at what angle should be wingtips set at apart from central section. I don't want to add another angle in the middle, it's not needed and will ruin the aircrafts scale look.
Okay, when I built my full size Mig 3 I did 4 degrees on each wingtip.

JakeTheSloth

Hi guys :) I eventually made it. I had cut, taped and shaped wings several months ago and they were waiting for further progress patiently on top of my closet. About a week ago I took them down and decided to finish what I have started.
Here it is, 85%, simplified wing cuz I'm lazy, 12A ESC, 3x9g servo's, Emax MT2204 II and 6x4,5x3 prop, clear canopy, magnet mounted hatch, AUW - 260g with 3s 1100mAh.
I'm amazed with how well this plane tracks in air, it does exactly what you want like in a video game. Truly an excellent design Nick :) I'd love to see twin engine fighter like Bf-110 designed by you one day :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_165827505_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_165827505_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200625_165841158_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_165841158_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200625_165851896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_165851896_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200625_170020582_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200625_170020582_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200616_143406010_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200616_143406010_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JakeTheSloth

I added some details such as markings and air inlet under wing. The weather was nice today and my girlfriend was really eager to take some pictures of planes in air, so I took MiG and here are the results ;)
Here's a short video as well
I really like how this plane tracks, only little problem I encountered is tip stall while landing, but after 10+ flights and few less happy landings it still looks pretty much intact

Attachments

• IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2608.JPG
    IMG_2608.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 0

andrej

Why does the spar reach only the elevons, there is some sense in this? If I stick a spar almost the entire length of the wing, will it not be worse? I have a carbon spar

JakeTheSloth

Love how quick it rips around!

Guys from my RC fb group said it looks as if it goes wherever I want to without any problem and I have to agree. This plane tracks great

Why does the spar reach only the elevons, there is some sense in this? If I stick a spar almost the entire length of the wing, will it not be worse? I have a carbon spar

I suppose it's mostly to keep the plane lightweight, since it's aluminium. Also you don't need very long spar as the most strain goes in the middle of the wing and on parts that were cut. Only a short part of wing is not reinforced with the spar in original plans and it doesn't affect wings' strength. Another problem would be fitting servo's if the spar was as long as wing.
By the way - remember that this wing has polyhedral (wingtips are facing upwards about 4 degrees). If you use straight carbon rod or flat bar as a spar you won't have polyhedral and plane will look weird and will be probably hard to control

andrej

Built a new nnmig-3. Motor 1806 2300kv battery 2S 900mAh. The weight of the entire model was about 250g. The plane flew, but somehow it was not right. put the 3S battery heavier and the plane flew much faster and surprisingly more stable. The motor is felt to be even more powerful, it will be fun to fly.

ammiel

hello @nerdnic ! I like your planes I have already built nSpitfire 800! I also wanted to build the nnMiG 3-800 but I can't process the pdf to send it to my cnc! could you pass me a dxf format? I would be grateful

ammiel

unfortunately when I go to upload the pdf to convert it it takes it as an image which does not happen to me with nnspitfire, I think it is the fault of the way in which that pdf was saved

Foam Folder

I am confused!!! CW or CCW? I have always thought that CW was as the usual as the pilot sees it. are model aeroplanes opposite to real planes?
CCW wants to spin off the prop

Sorry off topic.

tamuct01

I am confused!!! CW or CCW? I have always thought that CW was as the usual as the pilot sees it. are model aeroplanes opposite to real planes?
CCW wants to spin off the prop

Sorry off topic.

It's usually CCW looking from the front so the torque will tighten the prop nut instead of loosening it. From the pilot's perspective, it would be CW.

Foam Folder

It's usually CCW looking from the front so the torque will tighten the prop nut instead of loosening it. From the pilot's perspective, it would be CW.
So - - - - - I ordered a CW prop for my plane, ------ will it work?
I am still confused, if I ordered a fender for my car I would know what to do!

andrej

I understand correctly that the firewall with the motor is simply attached with two BBQ skewers, and is not glued to the fuselage?