P-82 Twin Mustang Build Log for Flite Fest Ohio

JGplanes

I talked to you in the build tent on Saturday morning, and hadn't seen it fly. Fortunately I did see it flying around 11:30 before we left, and took a couple videos. Unfortunately most of them were when it was very far away and couldn’t really be seen well. It looked really awesome though! Great job!

Flight video

JG

Last edited:

Liam B

Thanks for posting the video, @JGplanes ! That was when I had a center-of-gravity change in mid flight when the battery went in to the back of the plane. Almost lost it in the same flight due to a failsafe but got it back and emergency landed in the beans.

To summarize, the plane flew great with now awkward tendencies whatsoever! The 4s batteries got it the power it needed and the plane balances perfectly without needing to add weight. It could have used rudder servos, but it flew fine how it was.

On Saturday, I had a battery fail in flight and I brought the plane down a little harder than I wanted to. The firewall was ripped off, but it was ok otherwise and I fixed it.

Somewhere in this crash, I must’ve fried the ESC, because when I went to plug it in before combat, BOOM! fire in the left engine before I could even take off.

The left cowl and motor mount was destroyed and I missed the combat. Then, later in the day, I was able to fix the firewall and cowl and fly it in the Veterans Air Show with @foamtest and @Mid7nigh.

Hysterically, the plane flew straighter and tracked better AFTER the fire, but as part of the event, the plane was auctioned off with the proceeds going to help veterans. @BridgeInspector picked up the plane for $50 and I look forward to seeing what he does with it!

Also, FliteTest was nice enough to reimburse me with a new twin-c pack after it was auctioned off, so expect to see another build. Maybe a Stipa-Caproni as suggested by @Mid7night !

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
50FA4F6A-4F22-44AA-9D4E-72A78C99BF3F.jpeg

This is what it looked like with it’s new owner. :)

Liam B

Here’s a quick clip of onboard footage before I get on the plane home. This was the emergency landing I made when the CG changed. As a side note, look what the TSA let me take home on the plane!

2FFCAD13-A38D-40E4-A093-12F11F20BFA8.jpeg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got a few pics of this I will drop in here once I shrink em down from 4k so this phone wont complain when I try. Just need to figure how to get em from the desktop to the phone..... #suchanewb